U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,616,342 times

Advertisements

Given a choice of commuting on 17 out of Santa Cruz, or 92 eastbound out of Half Moon Bay (or 1 northbound out of Half Moon Bay, for that matter!), honestly, I'd take 17. At least it has undergone some work to cope with the realities of modern-day commuting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
I'm curious as to why highway 17 is so dangerous. Is it two lanes and
windy or is it agressive drivers speeding and tailgating? I will only
have to use it occasionally and not for commuting but am wondering.
How bad is it? Going to and from san jose and santa cruz.

I, for the first time, took a drive along Hwy 17 yesterday. It is absolutely beautiful! I did see a 16-wheeler pass a driver in front of me, but the 16 wheeler was doing the speed limit. I got passed a couple of times, because I was doing the speed limit, and to me, the limit was too fast. I mean, how can one really enjoy the beauty driving the speed limit. The roads are windey. I don't remember any guardrails (started at 285 (Antonito)). I guess when people are "aquainted" with the beauty, they don't care anymore. By the way, this road reminds me of some of the roads winding up to Mt. Rainier in Washington State, from Grants.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:34 AM

6,161 posts, read 13,378,559 times
The times it really gets crazy is during rush hour in the winter rain, fog, etc... People seems to not care or even speed up in poorer conditions. Consequently many deadly accidents have occurred on the stretch over the years. It is a lot different on a clear sunny day off peak rush hour and may even be somewhat enjoyable.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
If you are traveling toward Santa Cruz on 17 (unfamiliar with the road) and planning to turn off with a left turn, how many miles of lead time would you give yourself.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM

2,301 posts, read 5,124,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioning person View Post
If you are traveling toward Santa Cruz on 17 (unfamiliar with the road) and planning to turn off with a left turn, how many miles of lead time would you give yourself.
I hope you wouldn't be trying to make a left turn on hwy 17.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM

136 posts, read 167,436 times
I think this might be the road where my sister's coworker's brother was recently decapitated. Got smooshed by a large truck.

Edited: the rumor is he was decapitated. At any rate, he is dead.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:34 AM

136 posts, read 167,436 times
Yup. It was 17.

Vigil Attracts Media Attention | Daniel's Law

Please sign the petition. The family makes logical and important points.

Cliff notes:
"On July 10, McGuire was sitting in traffic on northbound Highway 17 near Lexington Reservoir when the driver of a big-rig hauling 50,000 pounds of soil in two trailers lost control and slammed into 10 vehicles, according to the California Highway Patrol. Authorities said the truck’s weight was 2 tons.

McGuire was killed and seven others were injured, including a 37-year-old Capitola woman, Nicole Albaum. The truck driver, Ravinderbal Singh of Union City, told KTVU-TV after the crash that he only had a truck license for about three months when the brakes on two trailers failed in the crash. He said he followed his training by trying to turn into the guardrail."

Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,476,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I hope you wouldn't be trying to make a left turn on hwy 17.
Agree, I avoid this at all costs. Much safer in my opinion to continue to the next junction that allows you to exit on the right, cross over the highway, and enter again on the other side, then continue back to turn RIGHT at your desired exit. It may take a few extra minutes but I prefer that to dying in a fiery crash

P.S. Even a right turn off Highway 17 at any of the smaller exits is not for the faint-hearted. The cars behind you are generally traveling at suicidal speeds and there is often no exit lane to speak of. Getting back onto the highway from such an exit is even harder.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:38 PM

2,301 posts, read 5,124,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Agree, I avoid this at all costs. Much safer in my opinion to continue to the next junction that allows you to exit on the right, cross over the highway, and enter again on the other side, then continue back to turn RIGHT at your desired exit. It may take a few extra minutes but I prefer that to dying in a fiery crash

P.S. Even a right turn off Highway 17 at any of the smaller exits is not for the faint-hearted. The cars behind you are generally traveling at suicidal speeds and there is often no exit lane to speak of. Getting back onto the highway from such an exit is even harder.
I've driven HWY 17 more times than I can count over the years and it still makes me nervous. I'm confident in my own driving skills, but not many of the other drivers. The speeders and constant lane changers are terrible but the slow-pokes driving in the left lane are just as bad. Fortunately, CHP presence is pretty strong there these days.

In my 20's, I used to love to drive fast on 17, but I now know it's not safe and isn't worth it. The drive is far less stressful by cruising in the right lane at the speed limit. You'd be amazed about how many speeding lane changers you end up next to on Ocean St. once you reach Santa Cruz.

Last edited by mstnghu2; 11-18-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 PM

877 posts, read 730,201 times
it is twisty and fast road. there is an alternatives though, from los gatos take highway 9 which is much more detour but less cars and slower traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or