Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

Please look at the site
<www.city-data.com/city/Los-Gatos-California.html>
for a real detailed view of Los Gatos or other cities in USA.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkarr View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Los Gatos this year (we are considering a few different places). One of us would work in San Jose on Airport Blvd., and the other would work in Santa Clara. We have a 3 yr. old son, and are looking for a place with great schools, is family-oriented, and has some character. What would this commute be like? If the commute is over 30 minutes, are there any other areas that anyone would recommend which fit the type of town I am looking for.

Also, we would probably rent at least the first year (our money is tied up in the Cambridge, MA area), so how much would it cost to rent? I have family in the Bay Area and have lived in Santa Cruz for ten years, so I understand the expensiveness, but am trying to get more specific. Would it be feasibly to rent a three family house for $2000-2500? Also, can a lower cost house be had for $750-800,000?

Finally, how is the environment in Los Gatos - is this a good place to bring up a child? I like the area, but is the culture elitest and snooty overall, or does it also have some down-to-earth qualities (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but just want to get a good sense).

Many thanks for your responses!

-gmkarr (dying to move back to California!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:39 PM

124 posts, read 734,137 times
Voter registration in Los Gatos.. 39% Democrat and 40% Republican.. Although I'm a staunch Rpublican it is very nice to see a balanced community, especially in the bay area.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM

8 posts, read 59,313 times
In your price range, you should look just outside of los gatos, near "los gatos almaden" road, and union area. The schools are great, but aren't quite as snooty as the los gatos school district. You can find decent housing in your price range.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkarr View Post
Thanks, that information is helpful. What do yout hink the lower end price for a 3-bedroom in Los Gatos woud be (both for rent and for sale)? Also what is Cambrian like as far as being a family-friendly area, and having good schools? Do you know anything about Willow Glen? Thanks!
-gmkarr
I live in Willow Glen....Believe me...it will be VERY difficult if not impossible to get a 3BR house for 750K. I am shocked at how little $1 million buys here.

Cambrian is probably a better overall value (than Willow Glen) if you are raising children. It tends to be popular for those raising children. The houses probably cost the same or a little less, but you get bigger houses on bigger lots.

Los Gatos is probably nicest of all if you can afford it. I wouldn't say it's horribly snooty, but I have never actually lived there...just go there to get my hair done at an expensive but good salon.

I'm not sure what houses around here rent for.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:56 PM

18 posts, read 86,163 times
You won't find any rentals below $3500 a month in Los Gatos, and any livable homes below $1.1 million. I have been in Bay Area for a long time.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:26 PM

60 posts, read 435,731 times
Default Almaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muck View Post
In your price range, you should look just outside of los gatos, near "los gatos almaden" road, and union area. The schools are great, but aren't quite as snooty as the los gatos school district. You can find decent housing in your price range.
Hi Muck,
Is the area you are referring to called the "Almaden Valley"? Still trying to get oriented about this region, since I am learning about it long distance. If so, how would you describe this area? Many thanks, and also thank you to everyone who has contributed their knowledge/advice to this post.

-Grace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose