Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,324,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Usually because the houses are in better condition than the older ones downtown. For similar properties, downtown is more expensive.
No, not at all. Location is key to real estate. That's not really a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:38 AM

20 posts, read 34,819 times
Please read my post to get some ideas on the San Jose scene

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...tion-tx-2.html

I use to frequent the San Jose downtown and I worked in Santana Row for four years. Both are very charming places. San Jose is a bit of a hidden secret city really. I once had a friend who was born and raised in San Francisco but moved to San Jose, thats a compliment to the SJ in my opinion. In the end I believe that there is history and imagination within any city, whether out in the boons or the concrete jungles. You'll find characters and personalities in every one but you will utlimately choose the one that reflects your desires the most. I will just add to the SR scene database.

Santana Row is a very fun and rather luxurious place to live in. If you can afford it then by all means go for it. Be excited about trendy restaurants and a vibrant bar scene and all your material needs just outside your door in Santana Row itself as well as Valley Fair across the street. However you will have to travel for basic needs such as groceries and other amenities. There is a Safeway and CVS, but they're not very nice options in my opinion. I heard they were building a highend grocery store in SR, I don't know if it ever happened. Five years ago Santana Row was dead. Now its hustle and bustle, traffic is crazy in that area.

If conspicuous wealth is your thing then that is exactly what the SR scene is about. I've met house/apartment owners, other employees from other stores as well a couple of store owners, if my memory serves me right, and they are well dressed, chic, powerful and at times uncomfortable people because it is all about the superficial, the materialistic (not that they don't have a soul ).

There use to be a lady who lived in the apartment but would come down to buy clothes only to resell them on ebay. And I remember a hair stylist would chat to me about her Dead Head days (The Grateful Dead Fan) and a Japanese fashion seller/buyer who had that all black edgy cool look that many struggle to pull off. Many interesting characters...all in my past now.

I would consider having the option of living somewhere more down to earth and being able to visit Santana Row rather than living there. It's rather chaotic in that scene.

Maybe I'll add to downtown SJ later, if you wish to know more.

Last edited by catknip; 04-02-2011 at 04:09 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM

60 posts, read 123,298 times
Awesome post! Thanks!

Yes, please add to downtown San Jose if you could

Quote:
Originally Posted by catknip View Post
Please read my post to get some ideas on the San Jose scene

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...tion-tx-2.html

I use to frequent the San Jose downtown and I worked in Santana Row for four years. Both are very charming places. San Jose is a bit of a hidden secret city really. I once had a friend who was born and raised in San Francisco but moved to San Jose, thats a compliment to the SJ in my opinion. In the end I believe that there is history and imagination within any city, whether out in the boons or the concrete jungles. You'll find characters and personalities in every one but you will utlimately choose the one that reflects your desires the most. I will just add to the SR scene database.

Santana Row is a very fun and rather luxurious place to live in. If you can afford it then by all means go for it. Be excited about trendy restaurants and a vibrant bar scene and all your material needs just outside your door in Santana Row itself as well as Valley Fair across the street. However you will have to travel for basic needs such as groceries and other amenities. There is a Safeway and CVS, but they're not very nice options in my opinion. I heard they were building a highend grocery store in SR, I don't know if it ever happened. Five years ago Santana Row was dead. Now its hustle and bustle, traffic is crazy in that area.

If conspicuous wealth is your thing then that is exactly what the SR scene is about. I've met house/apartment owners, other employees from other stores as well a couple of store owners, if my memory serves me right, and they are well dressed, chic, powerful and at times uncomfortable people because it is all about the superficial, the materialistic (not that they don't have a soul ).

There use to be a lady who lived in the apartment but would come down to buy clothes only to resell them on ebay. And I remember a hair stylist would chat to me about her Dead Head days (The Grateful Dead Fan) and a Japanese fashion seller/buyer who had that all black edgy cool look that many struggle to pull off. Many interesting characters...all in my past now.

I would consider having the option of living somewhere more down to earth and being able to visit Santana Row rather than living there. It's rather chaotic in that scene.

Maybe I'll add to downtown SJ later, if you wish to know more.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:08 PM

115 posts, read 326,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by los1sol View Post
How did you like living in that area? My wife and I are considering the townhouses across from cahill park because it's an easy commute to my job and the park and playground across from the townhouses is ideal (we have 2 dogs and a 14-month old). But I've been reading that downtown san jose isn't all that safe.

Did you feel that area was safe? And why did you end up moving out?

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide.
I really like the townhouses at Cahill Park. We always let our dog romp around there and he loved it. There seemed to be a lot of young families living in the townhouses which is always nice.

I am from Chicago and comfortable with big cities and I personally did not think that area was dangerous at all. There were a couple cars that were broken into but that was it as far as I knew.

We moved for work related reasons but have fond memories of that area.

By the way- imho the BEST pizza is from Pizza Antica in Santana Row. Mmmmm, I really miss that place!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,558,734 times
Well folks, I spent all day looking at rentals and homes in Milpitas, San Jose, Sunnyvale, and Campbell. My favorite place so far for my lifestyle has been near Campbell, Saratoga, and Los Gatos because its closer to Santa Cruz and nice grocery stores like Whole Foods, etc. But the downside is that traffic is bad and prices are sky high- especially when you get closer to Los Gatos!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:44 PM

115 posts, read 326,672 times
I love Saratoga and Los Gatos!

Los Gatos is very cute but you are right, it is expensive. But, you have the shopping, restaurants, beautiful surroundings, etc... Less fancy schmancy apartments compared to Santana Row but I prefer the area hands down!
If I were to move back to the San Jose area, my first choice would be Los Gatos!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,209 times
either location would be fun to live in.

From Santana Row you hop on the 23 bus and it takes you
downtown in no time.

Santana Row is more upscale and that's kind of fun. I've never met anyone who lives there and generally dont think of Santana Row as a place to live since it's basically the mall.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,904,461 times
Does Tropicana Village still exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose