Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,752,024 times

Advertisements

I like Santa Clara a lot. I live up the road in Sunnyvale, which is nice too. I'm less familiar with Milpitas, but I go there occasionally when I need to go. to our data center. I take 237 and traffic seems a bit thick but not unweildy. Santa Clara and sunnyvale are more appealing to me for the following reasons:

- Caltrain
- close to interesting cities along the Peninsula
- easy to get to S.F.
-lots of great Indian restaurants
- nice, clean peaceful living

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
One problem that I notice here is that tons of homes for sale are in FLOOD plane which is bad news bears from what I hear about how expensive and difficult it is to get sufficient flood insurance coverage.

That was once an issue in Alviso (i.e. 1983), but otherwise shouldn't be of great concern in the South Bay or adjacent areas.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 AM

160 posts, read 453,948 times
Awesome!! Almaden is GORGEOUS! I bet your working at Santa Teresa! My father had an office there and that was my first job as a kid! It's expensive here but the pay is also better. What I like most is the innovation. The bay area is changing the world and your kid will pick up that creative attitude.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
Quote:
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a place since prices have dropped a lot in past few years and the new job provides me with a bonus for the down payment. What are your thoughts on Milpitas area? Is it a bad commute to Santa Clara? How is the safety and social cultural scene? I am staying in a corporate housing in Milpitas right now and they do have excellent Chinese restaurants! Would I be better off with buying a townhome in Santa Clara or Sunnyvale? One problem that I notice here is that tons of homes for sale are in FLOOD plane which is bad news bears from what I hear about how expensive and difficult it is to get sufficient flood insurance coverage.
Santa Clara and Sunnyvale are more desirable but also more expensive than Milpitas. Milpitas has a reputation for stinkiness because the bay smell drifts eastward. It also had a big flood 15? years ago which people seem to have forgotten about.. a lot of homes were badly damaged.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Milpitas has a reputation for stinkiness because the bay smell drifts eastward.
I've noticed this, even as recently as yesterday.

I also noticed it quite a bit last year in September in Sunnyvale.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,556,690 times
I decided against buying or renting in Milpitas because of the bad pollen which has wrecked havoc on my sinuses! I am staying in a hotel in Milpitas short term because its cheaper than Santa Clara hotels. BUT, I noticed yesterday that the homes were badly damaged with cracks and sinking red clay. What places are nice besides Santa Clara and Sunnyvale that are not as expensive?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I decided against buying or renting in Milpitas because of the bad pollen which has wrecked havoc on my sinuses! I am staying in a hotel in Milpitas short term because its cheaper than Santa Clara hotels. BUT, I noticed yesterday that the homes were badly damaged with cracks and sinking red clay. What places are nice besides Santa Clara and Sunnyvale that are not as expensive?
If you don't like Milpitas, then I guess you wouldn't like Fremont, which is right next door ...

Why don't you want to live in Sunnyvale? I live here and pay $1800 for a nice two-bedroom apartment in a very pleasant neighborhood.

Or how about San Jose? My former boss lives in South SJ where housing is cheaper and he's able to afford a really nice, huge house (he commutes to Sunnyvale.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose