Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP's original question. I don't believe that one situation can tell me anything about the work ethic of various minorities.

That's not the point. The point is that if you work hard, you will do well here, no matter what your race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shea123 View Post
Hello helpful people-

I am a graduate student and I accepted a job in California. I will be moving there with my fiancé and we both have only lived in urban cities like Chicago and Washington DC. I hate long commutes, hence why I always opt to live in the citynear my work. However, I will be working in Silicon Valley.

I stayed in Milpitas over the summer for work, SNOOZE, and now I will be moving permanently. I hear to get the city feel you need to live in SF or Oakland. We don't want to live in SF due to lack of diversity, and Oakland may be too far. Do you think we will be happy living in San Jose? Are there any other cites to consider? We just want to live in a place where there are things to do and everything in town doesn't close at 10PM.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Is Milpitas where you will be working? If so...I think you should move to Oakland. If you really must live in a city, you won't find anything in the Bay Area besides SF/Oakland. You won't be happy in San Jose. Milpitas-Oakland is just 35 miles, but traffic could be a lot worse. it depends on how much you hate commuting. Otherwise...perhaps check out Fremont. It's just above Milpitas. There's not really anything big city about Fremont, but it has BART so you can take it to Oakland or SF.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Thank you to everyone who commented, your information is valuable. To those who responded and commented on my definition of diversity, you are right. I am black, and yes living in a city that is only 2.6% black out of 1M people (San Jose) may be an adjustment. I am not worried about my performance at work. I got the job due to my performance over the summer, so that is not an issue. However, with Oakland being 30% white, 30% black, and 30% Hispanic it may be more of what I am used to. But... it may be time for a change. I'm not saying I'm averse to living in areas with little black people it just will be different.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,911 times
Also, I will be working in Milpitas.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:43 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
In the early 60s, right out of college, I accepted a position in Paterson, NJ and lived in Clifton. I am not a member of the dominant ethnic or religious groups in those communities. Frankly I enjoyed being the one who is different. Yes I got checked out by the locals and my boss said that he always knew what I was doing. Be adventurous. Live among those who are not like you ethnically, but who share your goals, for a year.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Is Milpitas where you will be working? If so...I think you should move to Oakland. If you really must live in a city, you won't find anything in the Bay Area besides SF/Oakland. You won't be happy in San Jose. Milpitas-Oakland is just 35 miles, but traffic could be a lot worse. it depends on how much you hate commuting. Otherwise...perhaps check out Fremont. It's just above Milpitas. There's not really anything big city about Fremont, but it has BART so you can take it to Oakland or SF.

The Oakland-Milpitas commute would be horrible! It's commute direction all the way, both in the morning and evening...and is especially horrible on Friday nights. Even if you took BART, the line ends in Fremont and you'd have to take the slow bus ride into Milpitas. Personally, I think that commute would get old pretty quick.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
The Oakland-Milpitas commute would be horrible! It's commute direction all the way, both in the morning and evening...and is especially horrible on Friday nights. Even if you took BART, the line ends in Fremont and you'd have to take the slow bus ride into Milpitas. Personally, I think that commute would get old pretty quick.
That's true, Oakland-Milpitas on the 880 isn't a great commute, though it is direct.
I guess it boils down to what the OP wants more...living in a vibrant urban environment, or a short commute.

Also (for the OP to consider)...is an urban city feel more of a) what you like, or b) just what you're used to?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM

81 posts, read 170,548 times
It sounds like Oakland is what you're looking for. But, like many others have said, the Oakland-San Jose commute would be horrible. My cousin lives in downtown Oakland and her roommate commutes to San Jose and really hates it, but she does it because she loves living in Oakland. Some companies have shuttle buses that take employees to/from BART. If this is an option, it could be a doable commute.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Another option for commuting is Amtrak to Santa Clara, then take the ACE shuttle.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shea123 View Post
We don't want to live in SF due to lack of diversity

Huh? that's a typo, right? San Francisco has the same amount (or more) diversity than D.C. and waaayyyy more of a cultural/art vibe

Quote:
Oakland may be too far.

Oakland is not that far from Milpitas, but in rush hour on the freeway could be a problem

Quote:
Do you think we will be happy living in San Jose? Are there any other cites to consider? We just want to live in a place where there are things to do and everything in town doesn't close at 10PM.
If I had to choose between San Jose and San Franciso, I would definitely choose San Francisco.

You might consider Hayward which is sort of a "semi-urban" environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose