Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,673,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingoutofpa View Post
Okay - thank you for the heads up on Morgan Hill. Terrible commute is out.

When you say mid-peninsula, can you give me a sense of a few areas to consider (my total ignorance of the area is showing)?
The peninsula is the area between San Francisco and San Jose. The mid peninsula would be about from San Mateo to Redwood City.

You were asking about a childrens hospital and this one is at Stanford: Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford LPCH: Northern California Children's Hospital There are also other hospitals in the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM

81 posts, read 170,002 times
Quote:
Thanks for that heads up. Off the list. However, are there other communities somewhat like it that I haven't run across? I like the idea of at least a real neighborhood and access to green space is ideal. I currently leave close to three large parks including two dog parks which is wonderful.
Have you looked at Belmont? It's a very charming city, lots of hills, very family oriented. If your commuting on Highway 280 it's much more tolerable than having to take 101. Living in Belmont, either highway is easily accessible. It is possible to rent a nice family home there under $2,500. Check out ziprealty if you want to buy. Home prices have dropped and you can find an affordable 'fixer upper' there at a reasonable price. I myself am a fan of San Mateo (Belmont's next door neighbor), but I think you may get more bang for your buck in Belmont.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,988 times
Without knowing your budget, I would recommend Menlo Park itself. Town is next door to Stanford University and Hospital. Public schools in MPCSD or Las Lomitas (look them up) are excellent, but don't live east of Hwy 101 (Ravenswood district schools). Climate is mild (most houses have no AC), air cleaner than areas further south (Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.). Husband could bike to work most days. Public transportation is not much use here except for Caltrain, which runs North-South form San Jose to San Francisco, but unless your office is near the train or your company offers a shuttle to and from, it's not much use.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,534,023 times
Quote:

Need to be able to keep dog/cat
- Need a safe neighborhood with good schools or access to decent private schools
- My husband would like to commute to Menlo by public transportation if possible (if not, are there better/worse ways in?)
- We actually live in a city neighborhood now but we're open to a more suburban neighborhood/community
- I'd prefer an area that isn't on the hot side; fog not a problem
- An area with better air quality is a key priority because of asthma
- We'd like to be a reasonable commute to a Children's hospital or at least a good satellite of the hospital given chronic health problems

So, it's a huge list I know. But any advice on different aspects will at least help me narrow down to a more manageable list of places to explore online.

Thanks again for any and all help!
All of the above = Menlo Park, unless for some reason your husband wants to force himself to have a longer commute.

Last edited by Radical347; 03-29-2011 at 02:57 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,722,116 times
Quote:
- Need to be able to keep dog/cat
- My husband would like to commute to Menlo by public transportation if possible (if not, are there better/worse ways in?)
- We actually live in a city neighborhood now but we're open to a more suburban neighborhood/community
- I'd prefer an area that isn't on the hot side; fog not a problem
- An area with better air quality is a key priority because of asthma
Almost any town on the Peninsula satisfies your requirements. That includes Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, San Mateo, San Bruno, etc
  • Menlo Park is a Caltrain stop
  • All of the peninsual towns are primarily suburban
  • as you go farther south on the Peninsual it gets warmer
I haven't noticed any air quality issues anywhere in the area. Even the air in San Francisco seems clean.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:49 PM

I agree that Menlo Park would be perfect, however it's expensive being so close to Stanford. I would avoid anything in Menlo Park near the 101 freeway and everthing east of the freeway.

If you're looking for cheaper housing, check out Fremont across the bay. The down side is commuting across a bridge ($5 toll one way) but it's a better commute than Morgan Hill.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,055,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I agree that Menlo Park would be perfect, however it's expensive being so close to Stanford. I would avoid anything in Menlo Park near the 101 freeway and everthing east of the freeway.
Flood Park is nice and close to 101.. north of Marsh Road, though, that's a transitional neighborhood going into the North Fair Oaks area, which is not bad per se, but it's known as "Little Mexico" for a reason.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM

30 posts, read 58,353 times
Default Such wonderful suggestions

Thank you everyone for such excellent suggestions. I now have a number of areas to go through and look at. We're traveling out soon to "look around" and now I have clear destinations.

I appreciate the time you all took to help out. It speaks highly of the community!

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Flood Park is nice and close to 101.. north of Marsh Road, though, that's a transitional neighborhood going into the North Fair Oaks area
It looks like Flood Park may be closed - lack of money, what else?
County recommends closing Flood Park

Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM

160 posts, read 453,127 times
Look at Belmont and San Mateo. Stay west - more toward 280 - for air quality. Emerald Hills is a great neighborhood, close to everything- my girlfriend/client walks to downtown - but in the rolling hills with more fog and ocean air. Schools rank competitively. Also, you're close to Bart or the train for public transit. Also love Pacifica. With the current downturn there are some great home deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose