U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM

11 posts, read 28,714 times

Advertisements

Im in my 20's and I have been living in Los Angeles all my life. Im tired of it. Same old stuff everyday and the same people. And im not trying to be racist, but im kind of getting tired of seeing the same kind of people everyday... Where i live its mostly Mexicans and African Americans. I am mexican myself but I also LOVE meeting new people from different places. Ive been looking into the schools up there around the Bay area i.e. San Jose, Santa Clara, San Fran, and Santa Cruz. Im looking for an affordable place to live also... doesnt necessarily have to be in those specific areas but areas around there would be great. I wouldnt mind doing some driving either.... Im hoping for a community college first then transferring to a university... major in criminal justice... Google has all the "happy positive" comments... I want to know what You Guys think.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM

130 posts, read 860,765 times
You might like Santa Cruz county.
Cabrillo College in Aptos is a good community college and is getting better all the time.
Cabrillo College Home Page
And UCSC is here as well.
UCSC
The entire county is not cheap (neither is the bay area!) but you're young and in school and there are many affordable house share situations.
If you don't have a car, the bus system is excellent so as long as you live near bus stop (walk or ride your bike ... all buses have easy on / easy off bike racks), you'll be able to get around easily.
Cabrillo College is an easy and relatively short drive to downtown Santa Cruz and is right on the bus route.
And there are many great neighborhoods to live in that are even within walking distance to Cabrillo.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,451,479 times
Well, Mexicans are everywhere in CA (including the Bay Area) so you're not gonna avoid them. However, the BA has a fairly small black population. Basically, outside of certain parts of SF, Oakland, Richmond, Berkeley, etc., you hardly find any. Silicon Valley has few

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

18 posts, read 41,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamo90 View Post
Im in my 20's and I have been living in Los Angeles all my life. Im tired of it. Same old stuff everyday and the same people. And im not trying to be racist, but im kind of getting tired of seeing the same kind of people everyday... Where i live its mostly Mexicans and African Americans. I am mexican myself but I also LOVE meeting new people from different places. Ive been looking into the schools up there around the Bay area i.e. San Jose, Santa Clara, San Fran, and Santa Cruz. Im looking for an affordable place to live also... doesnt necessarily have to be in those specific areas but areas around there would be great. I wouldnt mind doing some driving either.... Im hoping for a community college first then transferring to a university... major in criminal justice... Google has all the "happy positive" comments... I want to know what You Guys think.... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Here you will either be tired of looking at Asians or Mexicans. Stay in Los Angeles or move to San Diego. Living in the South Bay has been terrible, the schools are average even Cupertino schools are average. Getting a house in a good neighborhood would have a price in the millions. It is your choice ultimately, but if I was you, I would stay.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,006,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Well, Mexicans are everywhere in CA (including the Bay Area) so you're not gonna avoid them. However, the BA has a fairly small black population. Basically, outside of certain parts of SF, Oakland, Richmond, Berkeley, etc., you hardly find any. Silicon Valley has few
I've noticed something - since I moved over by Almaden & 85 in San Jose, I never see minorities anymore. If I go to work in Santa Clara, sure, I meet all kinds.. but not where I live or even where I shop in the area. It's actually been a bit of a culture shock for me.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM

9,197 posts, read 15,041,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian K. View Post
even Cupertino schools are average.
In what universe doth one believe this?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM

10,737 posts, read 18,200,739 times
I suspect Sebastian K.'s kids are unhappy. S/he should inquire about changing teachers or schools, there are parents who would dearly love for their kid to trade places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose