Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:49 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I'd be curious to see what your citation is for this supposed statistic. I hope you're not making it up.
No, I'm not making it up but I don't remember where I saw it. Might've been a 20/20 story or one of these MSN daily stats. It was quite alarming to see the stat that's why I mentioned it. I'll do the research and see if I can find the source. If I find out differently, I'll correct myself.

Putting myself in the shoes of first generation immigrants, I can see why they exhibit separatist behavior. They are in a new, unfamiliar country. More than likely they have encounted some form of disapproval, discrimination, or lack of opportunity. Desiring to make a better lives for themselves, they focus on the one area where they know they can gain a foothold: high educational achievement. This I applaud. Although from an outsider's perspective their emphasis on high academic achievement at the expense of social integration may seem unreasonable and inappropriate, it may be out of necessity. Nevertheless, I respect their efforts here and wish long-standing minorities would follow suit.

For those asians and indians who have been here for a few generations, I do see the emphasis on academics of course, and more social integration. Again, putting myself in their shoes, they have encounted disapproval and discrimination. I suppose I was taken aback by the behavior of the parents at the Cupertino school. My natural inclination is to reach out to people my kids are going to school with. I was very disappointed that they didn't feel likewise.

I've learned to take these things in stride though and learn from these differing people. Doing otherwise can lead to my own health problems (resentment, anger). They are focused, resourceful, and very hard-working. Many have a love for classical music as I do. They value academics like I do and make this the primary focus of their kids like me and my wife do. They value exercise like I do and their diet is healthy (plenty of veggies). I like this. They are quiet neighbors, cordial when we encounter one another infrequently. Where they lack in social know-how, I excel in. Where I lack in high academic achievement, they excel in. Probably not fair to criticize their lifestyle as lacking balance. They may not see it that way and it may be out of necessity based on their perception on what it takes to succeed. We have much to offer each other and I have found that for the most part putting myself in their shoes, allows me to understand why they do what they do.

So as the demographics change, it may be the next generation that is more socially accepting of each other. Not much we can do about the way things are today but create our own reality, welcome change, and adapt to it.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If the US is to be competitive in the global economy, our students need to be well educated....especially in the sciences and mathematics. A well rounded education is important (i.e., exposure to athletics, liberal arts, etc ) but when push comes to shove, it is our edge in science and technology that will carry us through. The Cupertino school district appears to be doing a good job of producing students of this caliber...so I say, more power to it. It doesn't really matter to me which ethnic group is at the forefront of this. (I'm white, by the way). If the Asians are the ones blazing the trail in this direction, then so be it. We should give credit to whom it is due. That's what a meritocracy is all about. You can not abandon an otherwise excellent school district just because you have been relegated to minority status there.
I agree. Science and technology are very important, and these kids are setting a great example for other minorities.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 AM

CNN report about reasons for high suicide rate among asians.
Push to achieve tied to suicide in Asian-American women - CNN.com

Asian suicide rate high among young women.
Suicide Rates Highest Among Young Asian-American Women ~ Psychology News and Research Briefs ~ Find Counseling.com

High suicide rates in China, esp among rural women.
Suicide rate in rural China 4 times higher than cities Asian Economic News - Find Articles

Rates among asian youth higher than other minorities in this Boston study.
The Boston Foundation - Indicators Project

Rate very high among asian women in the pressure-cooker that is NY.
Suicide rate among NY's ethnic women population alarming

The Stroke stats I can't find, but I did see this somewhere. I'll keep looking.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:54 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,717 times
This thread does not belong in San Jose forum anymore. You are all invited to the Immigration forum to continue your debate. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose