Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
I'd expect something like this for the new SETI HQ, not Apple.
fyp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 PM

560 posts, read 581,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Yeah, this is true. The cafeterias at places like Apple and Google are INSANE - not sure why someone who works there would want to leave for food. Especially not for Cupertino Square.
With 12k hungry employees, options will be a need, wouldnt be surprised if new eateries will crop up, seems like a great investment! JOBS should hire me as a consultant

Old 06-10-2011, 01:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Yeah, this is true. The cafeterias at places like Apple and Google are INSANE - not sure why someone who works there would want to leave for food. Especially not for Cupertino Square.
Alexander's Steakhouse has a Michelin star. I think that would be popular among the executive crowd..

Old 06-10-2011, 01:44 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
What an amazing looking building. I'm fortunate that I own property in the area near this site.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:14 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Google is building a new HQ?
I guess SGI's HQ isn't good enough for them.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
With 12k hungry employees, options will be a need, wouldnt be surprised if new eateries will crop up, seems like a great investment!
If Apple is smart they'll lease some of that space for onsite restaurants. A Togos on site would probably do good business, for example.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
If Apple is smart they'll lease some of that space for onsite restaurants. A Togos on site would probably do good business, for example.
Doesn't Apple provide free meals to its employees (like Google does)?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
fyp
It does look like a giant donut. Maybe someday when Apple moves on to bigger and better things, this building could be converted into the local PD HQ....

Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
With 12k hungry employees, options will be a need, wouldnt be surprised if new eateries will crop up, seems like a great investment! JOBS should hire me as a consultant
While Cupertino Square (or Vallco) is not thriving and has few eating options, across the street on Wolfe is Cupertino Village, which is a standard Asian strip mall with pretty authentic Asian eateries - ranging from dim sum, Shanghainese dumplings, pho, etc.

I don't doubt that Apple will build dining options on site - but for a change, it's likely that at times when staff want to go off site for food, they can go there. for an analogy, Milpitas Square regularly gets a lot of nearby Cisco staff eating at their restaurants. OTOH, I haven't seen many Kaiser Permanente staff at Cupertino Village or over at the restaurants over on the Santa Clara side of Homestead Road.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkatmu View Post
Good point about Cupertino Village. However, other services are far away, located across freeways or larger arterials that discourage walking and biking. If workers decide to leave for lunch, they will drive which further negates the environmental benefits of green building.

For the parking, I got the impression that most of it would be in parking garages along 280. During the presentation, Jobs pointed to a series of gray squares along the freeway edge, saying they would be four stories each. However, Apple obviously isn't being frugal with this project so they may indeed accomodate most of the spaces underground.

Even with some services nearby, this is truly a pathetic location for such a large workforce. It's classic freeway-oriented sprawl.
Maybe Apple could help pay for a light rail extension. They have the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose