U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,261,026 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My parents have been living in Tucson for about 10 years and contrary to the trend of moving away from CA, they want to move To CA to be near the grandkids. One option is for us to sell our home and move to San Jose where we might be able to buy a house with in-law quarters where they could stay. But this would involve pulling our kids out of a good district that they're used to, so we hesitate to do this. Another option is to find a condominium/townhouse that caters to the elderly (not assisted living) in the San Jose to Sunnyvale areas. I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,029,321 times
The Villages in Evergreen.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,996,820 times
You didn't really post a question. I'll try anyway. Most school districts are decent in the S.J area. Cupertino, Sunnyvale, West San Jose districts would be best. But with good school districts, come extremely high home prices.

Don't know if you know, but a 3 bed home with in-law quarters in any of the area I listed will run you at least $900,000. A one bedroom condo in those areas will run at LEAST $300,000. Good luck in the bay area.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
You didn't really post a question. I'll try anyway. Most school districts are decent in the S.J area. Cupertino, Sunnyvale, West San Jose districts would be best. But with good school districts, come extremely high home prices.

Don't know if you know, but a 3 bed home with in-law quarters in any of the area I listed will run you at least $900,000. A one bedroom condo in those areas will run at LEAST $300,000. Good luck in the bay area.
$900K is doable if we sold our current home and moved, but these were the areas I had in mind. The condo for $300K is about what we figured as well and they may be able to afford this.

Just considering the options. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Villages in Evergreen.
Tell me more. Don't know much about Evergreen.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:

The question by the way is, can anyone provide me with helpful information about finding homes for the elderly in this area? I'm not talking about current market homes. I'm talking about special situations where homes my be sold at a reduced rate for elderly. Just a shot in the dark.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,029,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfush View Post
Tell me more. Don't know much about Evergreen.
It's a retirement community in southeast San Jose. It abuts the hills. There's a golf course there and everything. I've always lived near it but never been inside because it's gated. The area has really grown in the past 15 years, but The Villages hasn't been impacted as it's closed off and situated where it could not be surrounded by more homes. That's all I can really say.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,996,820 times
Actually I just remembered a retirement community in Gilroy. It's about 30 minutes south of San Jose. It is called Village Green. Here's the link to their website: Gilroy, California Senior Living Facility, Long Term Care

They don't have sales on their website, but if you go to mlslistings.com, then set the search parameters to Gilroy they will show up. Their are 2 on Bianca Way, and 2 on Rosette Way. They are all under $300,000. They look very nice.

In the areas I mentioned above, $300,000 will only get you a small one bedroom condo.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's a retirement community in southeast San Jose. It abuts the hills. There's a golf course there and everything. I've always lived near it but never been inside because it's gated. The area has really grown in the past 15 years, but The Villages hasn't been impacted as it's closed off and situated where it could not be surrounded by more homes. That's all I can really say.
Wow, thanks for that. I'll check into it.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 21,798 times
Quote:

Where are these $300,000.Condos........would really like to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or