Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 06:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,564 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm finding a place to live in San Jose and I've narrowed it down to these 3 zip codes where it matches what I can afford with relatively low crime (compared to other San Jose zip codes).

Do you have any pros/cons on these zip codes and which one may be "best" to live in? Are there any other considerations to be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Of those three zip codes, 95132 is the nicest overall. The other two are closer to sketchier parts of town.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:06 AM

You're welcome.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
You're welcome.
Thanks

I checked my post a few days after I posted and there wasn’t a reply yet

Appreciate your help. Yes, it seems that 95132 is surrounded by 95133 and 95131 and 95035 Milpitas so the area is nicest. There is a newer community in 95131 south of the golf course which seems nice. The homes in 95132 and 95133 overall seems a bit older

Old 04-17-2021, 01:18 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
If possible steer clear of San Jose. It is competing with Oakland everyday in all crimes property and life threatening as well as traffic issues.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
If possible steer clear of San Jose. It is competing with Oakland everyday in all crimes property and life threatening as well as traffic issues.

This is nonsense. San Jose is still safer today than it was in the 80s/90s and the good areas and bad areas of town are still the same good areas and bad areas of town that they used to be...nothing new.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
This is nonsense. San Jose is still safer today than it was in the 80s/90s and the good areas and bad areas of town are still the same good areas and bad areas of town that they used to be...nothing new.
Same thing goes with SJPD too?

Old 04-19-2021, 02:01 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Same thing goes with SJPD too?
Agreed.

I live in San Jose and the cops don't enforce anything. It isn't unique to San Jose. A lot of it relates to Prop 47 (which the foolish voters of CA voted in) that made stealing up to $999 worth of stuff a misdemeanor. Many of the stores in downtown SJ have closed as a result (even before Covid). I have a friend who works at a drugstore and many of their stores on the Peninsula have closed for similar reasons. A coworker of mine who has a friend in retail has said that her friend has said similar things about their store being ripped off.

They also don't do anything about the homeless people. They can pretty much do whatever they want. They need to be sent to mandatory rehab like Rhode Island does.

We have BLM signs in downtown SJ including at City Hall. When they endorse BLM, that says to me the police will be further neutered or eliminated. I completely sympathize with those who criticize police corruption and have criticized SJ police over the years myself (mostly their greedy union). But BLM takes their criticisms way too far.

I'm grateful that the people of San Jose are more law abiding than those of most other big U.S. cities. But I don't expect that to hold up forever.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-19-2021 at 02:51 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed.

I live in San Jose and the cops don't enforce anything. It isn't unique to San Jose. A lot of it relates to Prop 47 (which the foolish voters of CA voted in) that made stealing up to $999 worth of stuff a misdemeanor. Many of the stores in downtown SJ have closed as a result (even before Covid). I have a friend who works at a drugstore and many of their stores on the Peninsula have closed for similar reasons.

They also don't do anything about the homeless people. They can pretty much do whatever they want. They need to be sent to mandatory rehab like Rhode Island does.

We have BLM signs in downtown SJ including at City Hall. When they endorse BLM, that says to me the police will be further neutered or eliminated. I completely sympathize with those who criticize police corruption and have criticized SJ police over the years myself (mostly their greedy union). But BLM takes their criticisms way too far.

I'm grateful that the people of San Jose are more law abiding than those of most other big U.S. cities. But I don't expect that to hold up forever.
I was down there in the 80's and SJPD had a reputation as being "Professional" with a requirement of AS degree in their hiring process. Things as a whole were not bad in those days in comparison to what San Jose has turned into today. San Jose has seen better days in the 80's and the 90's. Though they have built up the old downtown area. Today forget it.
Too many shootings, stabbings, and motor vehicle crimes.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:55 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
I was down there in the 80's and SJPD had a reputation as being "Professional" with a requirement of AS degree in their hiring process. Things as a whole were not bad in those days in comparison to what San Jose has turned into today. San Jose has seen better days in the 80's and the 90's. Though they have built up the old downtown area. Today forget it.
Too many shootings, stabbings, and motor vehicle crimes.
This is where I'll disagree.

I think there are massive amounts of property and other non-violent crime not being reported.

If the statistics on things like homicide are to be belived (and I think they are reasonably accurate), the violent crime rate in SJ is lower now than it was in the 80's and 90's. I've lived here since the late '90s and the violent crime rate did go up last year, but compared to when I first moved here, it's still bouncing around in the same general range.

But once the BLM sympathizers succeed in neutering/defunding the police (and that's the direction we're headed), all that can change in a heartbeat.

That's why I'm making plans to leave SJ and not live in any big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose