Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasG3 View Post
I think it's a long overdue move myself.The Coliseum is a terrible place for baseball and the place is empty regardless of how well they are doing.Perhaps a fresh start in a new ballpark in a new area would do them well.
Yes, it is long overdue to move out the Coliseum into a ballpark in Jack London Square.

Let's see why Oakland's Jack London Square is the best option:

Jack London Square:

• is the East Bay's premier waterfront shopping, dining and entertainment destination attracting more than 6 million visitors annually. Jack London Square is home to 30 restaurants, a host of national and local retailers, cinemas, marinas, and parks

• has thousands of condominiums

• connected to Downtown Oakland

• has views of Downtown Oakland, activity at the Port of Oakland, the Oakland hills, and boating activity at the Oakland Estuary

• is served by AC Transit bus lines, a free shuttle, a ferry, Amtrak, and the 880 freeway

• completed Phase 1 development: Details in links below

http://bayarearc.com/project-detail/...Square-phase-1

http://www.jacklondonsquare.com/news...t_overview.pdf

• has a Phase 2 Development plan: The second phase will also include a 140,000-square-foot office building, 250-room 4 star hotel, an 8-story, 155,000-square-foot office building and 10,000 square feet of retail.

Jack London Revival ? – 357 Investments

• is the site of the approved Oak to 9th project: Four 20+ highrise apartment buildings, totaling 3,100 residential units, 2 marinas with retail and restaurants, a ferry dock, 32 acres of green space and open parks

Oak to 9th | Sustainable Neighborhood (http://www.oakto9th.com/sustainable/ - broken link)

• is a finalist for the Lawrence Berkerley National Lab's Second Campus

Let's see San Jose's option:

• start from scratch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post

• start from scratch

Eh...and how far along is that JLS stadium proposal compared to the SJ one? Oakland have consistently been blowing off the stadium idea up until now with this latest idea (new mayor), which is awfully late for anybody to take seriously, let alone Lew Wolff. Selig might be dragging his feet trying to get Lew to accept this, but he's about as excited to build in Oakland as in Fremont - which is a massive NOT.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 AM

954 posts, read 1,280,554 times
Quote:
Yes, it is long overdue to move out the Coliseum into a ballpark in Jack London Square.

Let's see why Oakland's Jack London Square is the best option:

Jack London Square:

• is the East Bay's premier waterfront shopping, dining and entertainment destination attracting more than 6 million visitors annually. Jack London Square is home to 30 restaurants, a host of national and local retailers, cinemas, marinas, and parks

• has thousands of condominiums

• connected to Downtown Oakland

• has views of Downtown Oakland, activity at the Port of Oakland, the Oakland hills, and boating activity at the Oakland Estuary

• is served by AC Transit bus lines, a free shuttle, a ferry, Amtrak, and the 880 freeway

• completed Phase 1 development: Details in links below

http://www.jacklondonsquare.com/news...t_overview.pdf

• has a Phase 2 Development plan: The second phase will also include a 140,000-square-foot office building, 250-room 4 star hotel, an 8-story, 155,000-square-foot office building and 10,000 square feet of retail.

Jack London Revival ? – 357 Investments

• is the site of the approved Oak to 9th project: Four 20+ highrise apartment buildings, totaling 3,100 residential units, 2 marinas with retail and restaurants, a ferry dock, 32 acres of green space and open parks

Oak to 9th | Sustainable Neighborhood (http://www.oakto9th.com/sustainable/ - broken link)

• is a finalist for the Lawrence Berkerley National Lab's Second Campus

• start from scratch
Yeah, that plan sounds like it was made prior to 2008. More office space, retail space, and residential units? Good luck with that! San Jose's option is pretty simple, build a stadium next to an existing stadium where some rundown buildings used to be. Not that I support it, mind you, but in these economic times, I'm pretty sure that's a bit more realistic.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Eh...and how far along is that JLS stadium proposal compared to the SJ one?
Both Oakland and San Jose are waiting for an answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Oakland have consistently been blowing off the stadium idea up until now with this latest idea (new mayor), which is awfully late for anybody to take seriously, let alone Lew Wolff.
The million dollar question is, did Lew Wolff ever give Oakland serious consideration?

Last minute proposals or not, Jean Quan's fight to keep the A's is annoying to Lew Wolff. Why? Because she's putting up a good fight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Yeah, that plan sounds like it was made prior to 2008. More office space, retail space, and residential units? Good luck with that! San Jose's option is pretty simple, build a stadium next to an existing stadium where some rundown buildings used to be. Not that I support it, mind you, but in these economic times, I'm pretty sure that's a bit more realistic.
On the contrary,

- Jack London Square Phase 1 is completed

- Jack London Square Phase 2 is expected to start construction in 2012.

Holliday Development Media (http://www.hollidaydevelopment.com/media/0809_10projects.php - broken link)

- Oak to 9th project is approved and the governer agreed to expedite the start of construction. Construction is expected in 2011.

http://oaklandnorth.net/2010/09/15/oak-to-9th-land-development-project-approved/

- Oak to 9th Developers now want to incorporate the Lawrence Berkerley National Lab second campus with their project. Which would surely be a catalyst for construction.

http://oaklandnorth.net/2011/07/28/oakland-showcases-waterfront-site-in-bid-for-lawrence-berkeley-lab-expansion/

My point is, if a ballpark is built in Jack London Square, then it is being built in an area where there is already a high concentration of new developments.

Nothing against San Jose, but Oakland offers the best site for the best ballpark experience.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Yes, phase two and on involves building lots of things we currently have too much of. If it's going to happen, great. However, in this economy...

I'm sure they'll stay in Oakland, why would the Giants want to give up its rights to the largest market in the bay area?

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, phase two and on involves building lots of things we currently have too much of. If it's going to happen, great. However, in this economy...

I'm sure they'll stay in Oakland, why would the Giants want to give up its rights to the largest market in the bay area?
Things are looking pretty good and I'm pretty sure the developers are not easily detered by "this economy", especially if they guarantee a 6-8 month earlier construction date to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab officials.

They should stay in Oakland, and call home to a world-class water front district.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Things are looking pretty good and I'm pretty sure the developers are not easily detered by "this economy", especially if they guarantee a 6-8 month earlier construction date to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab officials.

They should stay in Oakland, and call home to a world-class water front district.

Like I said, if they can, great, this just isn't exactly a boom time for the construction industry.

Personally, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Oakland left the bay area for a market that doesn't have a MLB team in it.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Like I said, if they can, great, this just isn't exactly a boom time for the construction industry.
Doesnt alter the fact these developers are getting their shovels.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Oakland left the bay area for a market that doesn't have a MLB team in it.
I wouldnt be surprised if they failed in every attempt. Oakland has legal bullets, and has yet to use them. You can thank Bud Selig for that.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:

I wouldnt be surprised if they failed in every attempt. Oakland has legal bullets, and has yet to use them. You can thank Bud Selig for that.
What legal bullets?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
What legal bullets?
San Francisco sued the Giants twice to keep them from leaving in 1976 and again in 1992. In 2011, they remain in San Francisco.

Legal experts say that Oakland has the same ammunition to prevent the A’s from moving to San Jose. A part of the A’s lease essentially prohibits the team from taking actions that could result in the team leaving town.
“I wouldn't have any question that they have a complaint drafted and sitting on a desk somewhere drawing on all the other disputes, including ours,” said Jim Hunt, a lawyer who represented the Giants in their fight with Renne and San Francisco.
Oakland City Attorney John Russo said that he has gone over the A’s lease with a “fine-toothed comb,” and if the A’s violate the agreement, “my office will consult with the decision makers and take whatever action is necessary.” But he said that because Oakland is working with Major League Baseball on the whole issue, “it’s premature for us to look at things like legal action against the A’s.”
When asked if he had a complaint drafted and sitting on a desk somewhere, Russo's tone became more ominous: “The A’s pattern of behavior has been apparent for many years now, and were we forced to act, we are ready to act very quickly.”

Here's the language:

"Licensee [A's] shall not permit or cause to occur any event that may result in the transfer of its Franchise or any of its Home Games to any other city or location or do or fail to do anything which will cause its right to play major league professional baseball in the Stadium to be lost, impaired or transferred to any other city or location."

Oakland Has Legal Bullet to Use Against A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose