Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 AM

110 posts, read 269,927 times

Advertisements

Hi All
Just joined the site so hello to all !

I currently live in England and am moving to San Jose next month, pretty quickly I need to buy a vehicle and I fancy an SUV. I like the Chevy Tahoe and was wondering where in San Jose is good/best to buy? is it simply a case of using the dealer? I would want to get a certified used one not new

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Well, you can go to a dealer and get a used car and pay a lot more for it.
Or if you know enough about mechanical stuff you can buy a used one on craigslist (sfbay.craigslist.org) and pay less.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:51 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,682 times
I would recommend buying a used one from a private owner, you'll get a much better deal if you do your research. Before purchasing insist that you take the car to a mechanic for a small fee to have it looked over for any problems If they decline, then don't buy.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Check gas mileage before you insist on that SUV. Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if you don't go offroad.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
You should have lots to choose from...

Many have never set foot off the paved road...

The receptionist at work has one that has never been in 4wd... she loves the car... just it has been coddled since the day she bought it.

Nothing wrong with shopping new... all depends on what kind of deal you can make... some of the warranty and finance packages are very attractive.

My Truck came from Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose... can't recommend or say anything bad about them... they just happened to have the right vehicle at the right price at the time.

Another venue might be some of the rental returns...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM

68 posts, read 167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
I would recommend buying a used one from a private owner, you'll get a much better deal if you do your research. Before purchasing insist that you take the car to a mechanic for a small fee to have it looked over for any problems If they decline, then don't buy.
I was actually wondering how do people usually handle this As a buyer, do you take their car, with a collateral, to the mechanic yourself? Or do you ask them, seller, to drive it to your mechanic? I've had a friend who was selling his "classic" Mercedes who actually drove the car a solid 30-40 miles to the buyer's mechanic, but I suspect most sellers are not that accommodating?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilushka View Post
I was actually wondering how do people usually handle this As a buyer, do you take their car, with a collateral, to the mechanic yourself? Or do you ask them, seller, to drive it to your mechanic? I've had a friend who was selling his "classic" Mercedes who actually drove the car a solid 30-40 miles to the buyer's mechanic, but I suspect most sellers are not that accommodating?
I would go with the car unless it was a mechanic in the area that I knew...

Some have their cars checked at the AAA diagnostic clinic... not sure if they still offer this service.

Other points that I feel are very important...

It is the sellers responsibility to provide a smog certificate if applicable or unless you are selling to a Dealer... make sure the car passes smog if you want to avoid a never ending nightmare.

I complete my private party transaction at the DMV window at the Auto Club... this way, any deficiencies regarding title and registration can be dealt with in the presence of both parties.

Also, some will spring for a CarFax to see if any history of previous damage shows up...

Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 AM

110 posts, read 269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
Sure understood and I would say the same for anyone coming to England, problem I have though is we are moving to the USA and dont know anybody in San Jose and have never bought a car in the USA, hence why I am leaning towards the dealer in case anything goes wrong

Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Are you sure you want an SUV? They're inefficient polluting gas guzzlers, unless you really NEED the carrying capacity...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilz View Post
Sure understood and I would say the same for anyone coming to England, problem I have though is we are moving to the USA and dont know anybody in San Jose and have never bought a car in the USA, hence why I am leaning towards the dealer in case anything goes wrong
This is fine. Of course there is a premium you will pay to have the piece of mind that a dealer will take care of problems that may arise. If you are willing to pay this premium then it is perfectly reasonable to go this route. I recommend you buy from a large dealership that also sells new vehicles because they won't renege on any guarantees they give you. Small "used car dealerships" are not as reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose