Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:16 AM

5 posts, read 30,520 times

Advertisements

Not sure, if this is a redundant thread but the mails/communication there seemed to be from 2007.

Wanted to start a newer thread again on similar lines.

So if we choose to live in CUSD and rent something within Cupertino/Sanjose with Cupertino Schools, how will these schools compare with the private schools ?

I am right now looking at Elementary schools, the schools already started and we already got into CUSD and the kid is attending now.

But, the whole world around me seems to be claiming about how great their private schools are - particularly Stratford or Challenger type.
I've heard equally negative points about Challenger abt how it does not give kids any 'developmental' growth independence etc..it's got a pretty Rote style of approach.

Stratford atleast didn't have too many negative comments from what I have heard so far.

And my big question is - How do private schools compare with the schools within CUSD.

I don't see a low child-to-teacher ratio within Private schools either ?
Was told in Challenger the ratio is 25:1 ( elementary)
Same as Public Schools.

API rankings is atleast a data point to hold on and choose when it comes to Public Schools.

And some of my friends * who seem to think that they should send their Kids to Private school just because he is gifted *

I was also under the same notion, until in the end what I realized is Private schools all claim to have *gifted* programs and as long as you pay them the big $$$ - and if your Kid is good/perhaps excel like many other kids, then he will be put in Gifted programs.
Some parents actually voice out *loud* to have their Kids put in Gifted progams..Atleast that was my experience so far.

Now I would like to get a better understanding of the 'actual' details of these Private schools vs. Public here in and around Cupertino, Palo-alto schools.

Any thoughts anybody ?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
What is it that you want in a school?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Cupertino used to be the best of the best, and are still good.

You need to ensure you are in CUSD and FUHSD (I think it is generally a perfect correspondence of boundaries in most cases although some CUSD may actually feed into LAMVHSD, and maybe some feeding into SCUHSD).

Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
At the end of the day, there are only a handful of things we as parents can do to materially effect how our children grow up. Perhaps most important among these is choice of schools - but not for test scores.

When we as parents choose a school for our kids, we are in effect choosing the population from which our kids will select friends and peer groups.

CUSD schools are very, very good. But starting in 2nd grade, we decided to move our daughter from Regnart Elementary in Cupertino to The Harker School The Harker School . Private school isn't right for every kid - only you can make that choice.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

You need to ensure you are in CUSD and FUHSD (I think it is generally a perfect correspondence of boundaries in most cases although some CUSD may actually feed into LAMVHSD, and maybe some feeding into SCUHSD).
I would say that Cupertino has very strong academics. However, I am not convinced that those schools provide the best well rounded graduates. I've seen graduates from Bellarmine who not only have the academic background, but have also developed the social skills and presence which gives them a leg up not only at college but in their future careers.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM

52 posts, read 193,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

My impression is that Cupertino schools tend to teach to the test, and are generally more focused on rules and grades than learning and inquiry. I don't have a child there so can't speak from first hand experience, but have friends that do. High API scores are a tricky thing - on the one hand they can mean a population of students are pushed to do well by their parents, given extra tutoring, and have educated parents. But it doesn't necessarily mean students get a well-rounded education, or will be prepared for the real world. If someone has children in the Cupertino schools and has found this not to be true, I would be interested...

Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirplet View Post
My impression is that Cupertino schools tend to teach to the test, and are generally more focused on rules and grades than learning and inquiry. I don't have a child there so can't speak from first hand experience, but have friends that do. High API scores are a tricky thing - on the one hand they can mean a population of students are pushed to do well by their parents, given extra tutoring, and have educated parents. But it doesn't necessarily mean students get a well-rounded education, or will be prepared for the real world. If someone has children in the Cupertino schools and has found this not to be true, I would be interested...
Hence my "use to be" the best of the best comment. Back in the day (1970s) they had a more holistically excellent environment. It was certainly not a "teach to test" scenario. The teachers and administrators were superstars in their field. Seems like 1000 years ago.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
About 10 years ago they hired a Superintendent from the Bainbridge Island School District. Then a reporter asked him to compare the school districts. He did, 'Tino District fired him. If you can find that article (SJ Mercury News?) it may be instructive.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 22,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
At the end of the day, there are only a handful of things we as parents can do to materially effect how our children grow up. Perhaps most important among these is choice of schools - but not for test scores.
Private school isn't right for every kid - only you can make that choice.
I heard a similar statement many times: "only you (i.e. parents) can choose which school is good for YOUR child". Can anyone comment on it please?

I do understand that when your child get older you can see what kind of personality your child has and what abilities the child has (math/history/music/draw/dance/...). What I do not understand is how to choose right school for kinder or 1st grader.

Personally, I have enrolled my child into a public school nearby that has 8 on Great Schools Ratings. Kindergarten is 8:15-11:35 only, and afterschool program costs us almost the same amount as a private kindergarten would do.

I have chosen public school because I think they are controlled by the state somehow (for example via API scores), and one can to some extend judge whether one school is better or worse than another. Probably I did wrong decision. But how do you guys choose one private school over the others? Because your friend have chosen it? Because the tuition is higher? Honestly, are there any measurable criteria for private schools for being "good school"?

BTW, I am againt private schools, I am just still thinking how to choose the best/right school for my child!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 22,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newzao View Post
BTW, I am againt private schools, I am just still thinking how to choose the best/right school for my child!
OMG! One year later I realized that I wrote incorrectly; in reality I wanted to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newzao View Post
BTW, I am NOT against private schools, I am just still thinking how to choose the best/right school for my child!
Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose