U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM

276 posts, read 708,324 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'll be relocating from Los Angeles to either the Monterey or Santa Cruz areas this fall. I've seen rental prices fluctuate from Seaside to Monterey and they border each other. Is it crime that makes Seaside cheaper to live in? Any other info on Seaside or Aptos would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 05:21 PM

306 posts, read 553,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
Hi all, I'll be relocating from Los Angeles to either the Monterey or Santa Cruz areas this fall. I've seen rental prices fluctuate from Seaside to Monterey and they border each other. Is it crime that makes Seaside cheaper to live in? Any other info on Seaside or Aptos would be greatly appreciated.
Seaside is paradise compared to L.A. The crime I'm pretty sure is minor as it is a small community.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,420,804 times
If i lived in Monterey county i'd live in Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel.
Seaside, to me, is kinda nowhere land ... a bit soul-less.
What will determine which county (Monterery county or Santa Cruz county) you live in?
Why Aptos?
Will you be working in Monterey and want to be as close to it as possible if you live in S.C. county?
Just curios.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the fast responses. I'll be working in Watsonville. I've seen Aptos/Capitola and like it very much. However not many rental choices at the moment. I also like Monterey as well, Seaside looks decent, but the cheaper rent may be because of crime?? I just dont want to live in a gang zone crime area. Pacific Grove is beautiful but I hear the fog is very heavy up there.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:52 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,420,804 times
Geez, if you're working in Watsonville, i don't know why you'd want to live south in Monterey County.
You have the entire Santa Cruz county to choose from and yes, i do know how expensive it is.
Actually, not the entire county ... if you're up in the Santa Cruz mountains the commute to Watsonville would be a pain.
Aptos has a lot of fog but there are parts (further inland) that have very little fog .. some places that rarely have fog.
And certainly don't limit yourself to Aptos and Capitola.
Also, there are definitely communities in Watsonville that are safe and quite nice.
The public transportation system in S.C. county is excellent by the way.

If you're living in Monterey county you will have a much longer commute and do realize that the traffic gets really heavy coming north on HWY1 in the a.m. (many, many commuters traveling to to San Jose area) and really heavy going south on HWY1 in the p.m..
Although if you're able to get off HWY1 at one of the first Watsonville exits you'll avoid the real congestion which usually begins just south of Aptos.
But that's also a rather accident prone road ... the part of HWY1 that is only two lanes.
I understand the financial concerns but working in S.C. county and living in Monterey county is ... well ... interesting.

But, if you're set on Seaside, Mtn.Surfer is a regular poster who knows Monterey county very well.

Last edited by jaijai; 09-21-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 AM

157 posts, read 476,905 times
Seaside has always had a bad reputation for crime, to put it in one word. Would not recommend living there. I lived in nearby Marina at one time and it was not much better. If you are going to work in Watsonville you might be interested in some of the nicer areas, even a nicer area in Salinas, if you don't mind the drive, and the added cost to live in a nicer neighborhood. Do some looking around and ask questions of the locals once you get there. You can also ask real estate property managers for frank info on areas that are considered to be safe.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:53 AM

4,006 posts, read 5,160,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBBQ View Post
Thanks for the fast responses. I'll be working in Watsonville. I've seen Aptos/Capitola and like it very much. However not many rental choices at the moment. I also like Monterey as well, Seaside looks decent, but the cheaper rent may be because of crime?? I just dont want to live in a gang zone crime area. Pacific Grove is beautiful but I hear the fog is very heavy up there.
Weather is much nicer on the Santa Cruz side. The entire Monterey Peninsula is often shrowded in fog, while it is sunny on the Santa Cruz side. I also think there is a bit more going on in the Santa Cruz area, as Monterey is more slow-paced and more appealing to retirees (although that may be appealing to you).

Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks CD'ers! This thread is a tad bit old, but I still appreciate the advice. I found a place in Monterey, much nicer area than Seaside. I love the SC area just didn't have any luck finding a pet friendly place. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose