Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM

424 posts, read 1,479,078 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move from VA where a decent house in a good neighborhood (10 year old, 3 bedroom, 3 bad, 1 car garage townhouse) costs about $400K, schools are decent, private schools can cost about $8K a year, sales tax is about 5-6%, income tax is 6% (I think).

I want to move to the bay area in CA for various (intangible, and subjective reasons) where houses cost more, sales tax is 8-9%, income tax is 7% (I think).

If I am making a $120K as a software engineer/architect here, would I make considerably more for a similar job (say, $150K) in the bay area? Assume there are similar jobs in both locations and they are equally in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
If you're OK with living in a townhouse, then I think you'll find the conditions fairly comparable. Probably a quite nice townhouse similar to yours would cost around $500K. And if your abilities are appealing to a company like Oracle, Apple or Google, then you could potentially increase your income by quite a bit.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Income tax in CA is 9% for the upper brackets.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
I am planning a move from VA where a decent house in a good neighborhood (10 year old, 3 bedroom, 3 bad, 1 car garage townhouse) costs about $400K, schools are decent, private schools can cost about $8K a year, sales tax is about 5-6%, income tax is 6% (I think).

I want to move to the bay area in CA for various (intangible, and subjective reasons) where houses cost more, sales tax is 8-9%, income tax is 7% (I think).

If I am making a $120K as a software engineer/architect here, would I make considerably more for a similar job (say, $150K) in the bay area? Assume there are similar jobs in both locations and they are equally in demand.
In general, the jobs here pay somewhat more than the national average but typically not enough to make up for the higher cost of living. However, that might not be true in your case, since you're coming from a high COL area already. I can't speak specifically to your line of work, though.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 AM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In general, the jobs here pay somewhat more than the national average but typically not enough to make up for the higher cost of living.
That was our experience.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Regarding the specs on the homes. The places here in the Bay Area with 10 or less yr old homes tend to be in the outer ring areas and not in the inner Bay communities. The flatlands near the Bay were essentially built out by the 1980s. The only new stuff done here since then has been cases where something else was demolished. It tends to be very dense packy and cookie cutterish. Where the OP lives there are many developments in the rolling VA countryside that look like the classic McMansion / quasi McMansion suburban look. You really don't see that at all in the inner communities. The communities with homes that size here are very established and multi millions in cost per home.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:10 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,817 times
Quote:

From what I've gathered speaking with people back in Northern Virginia, people in high tech made about 0-10% more here than there given the same experience, but this was before the minor boom in tech we've been having here since last year, I have heard nothing similar from my friends there, granted they didn't have as bad a downturn in 2009. I think it doesn't hurt to negotiate, after all some companies are really willing to pay top dollar for good talent, but a 30K bump might be a bit hard to get.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM

255 posts, read 514,111 times
Quote:
150k is more inline as a tech lead/manager position.

If you know the specific job or company, you could go to numerous salary sites to compare. Some of them separate the same job title by geographic locations, so you get a sense of the difference.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Unless you have some niche skills, don't forget that there are more competition for software engineering jobs out here.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
I don't think salaries are that much higher here than in the DC area (slightly higher maybe). I don't think you'd make $150k unless you got very lucky. Also, I think CA income tax is about 9.5% if you are on a high income bracket. Just realize that you are going to have to downsize, but with the nice weather, you'll be spending more time outside anyway.

Also, $500k for a nice townhouse may work if you're in San Jose, but probably not further up the peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: