Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 10,724 times

Advertisements

Our 23 year old son is starting a job in Milpitas. He would like to keep his rent at or below $1100 - ideally with covered parking, washer/dryer in unit, and a balcony or patio. I am flying up to help him look this weekend. Where should we concentrate? He has friends in the San Francisco area so access to the BART would be great. Somewhere safe, not too long a commute and with some nightlife for the 20-somethings. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher921 View Post
Our 23 year old son is starting a job in Milpitas. He would like to keep his rent at or below $1100 - ideally with covered parking, washer/dryer in unit, and a balcony or patio. I am flying up to help him look this weekend. Where should we concentrate? He has friends in the San Francisco area so access to the BART would be great. Somewhere safe, not too long a commute and with some nightlife for the 20-somethings. Any ideas?
Probably somewhere around Milpitas or Fremont will be as cheap as you can get and still be near work and a BART station (one in Fremont). Don't expect a washer/dryer in the unit - most buildings have a common laundry room. $1100 might be a little low for a 1 bed apt. Not much in the way of night life in this area; might have to go into downtown San Jose for that.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM

376 posts, read 653,805 times
Ditto above post, the closest BART is in Fremont, so I'd stay in Milpitas itself or close for easy access.
However, Caltrain also goes to SF, but it doesn't run as many trains and only goes to 4th and King in SF near Embarcadero. If that's an option, then there are Caltrain stations in San Jose, Santa Clara, and Sunnyvale, and that would widen your apartment area to look at.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Does Milpitas still have those malodorous areas (thanks to Newby Island landfill and those sewage plant percolation ponds)? I know it was a bit of an issue a few years ago.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Most of the occasional odors (mainly from the Newby Island landfill) in Milpitas tend to stick on the far west end of town, west of I-880, unless the wind picks up a certain way. I lived in Milpitas for many years and it used to be far worse and more frequent. My parents still live there and I almost never notice the smell when I visit them and they live off of Dixon Landing Rd. where it used to be one of the worst areas for the smell.
My brother and his family also just moved back to Milpitas near Milpitas Blvd./Calaveras and he almost never smells anything.

I remember reading in the SJ Mercury News a few years back that the city of Milpitas was actively going after companies that operated the landfill, percolation ponds etc. They were trying to get them to prevent so much odor from drifting into town or face fines/penalties/lawsuits. This seems to have worked for the most part.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Thank you for the help - he ended up finding two roommates and getting in a place up on Communication Hill

Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM

255 posts, read 514,305 times
Quote:
Thank you for the help - he ended up finding two roommates and getting in a place up on Communication Hill
Communication Hill is a great newer place for a single person, which is rather close to SJ downtown. And some homes you have a valley view to boot!

Although the traffic on 87/880/280 could be a bit troubling to Milpitas. Nonetheless, good find. Congratulations on his job and move!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I think it was smart of him to get roommates. That's what I did when I moved here 15 years ago. I know people don't generally love having roommates, but at least for the first few years, it really helps a lot to save money and/or pay down debts. The other up side is that this area is expensive and having roommates is considered pretty normal for people under age 30 (and even people over 30). Sometimes roomates can be helpful when moving to a new area to share ideas on places to go, bargains to be found, etc.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 PM

We WERE thinking we were pretty lucky for getting him in a place so soon. But now they have him working in Benicia training - a two hour commute - blagh!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
We WERE thinking we were pretty lucky for getting him in a place so soon. But now they have him working in Benicia training - a two hour commute - blagh!
Uggh, that's awful. I hope it doesn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose