Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM

90 posts, read 168,412 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,
I moved from NC a couple of months ago. I just now realized that I had to change my licence and registration within an impossible gap of 20 days since moving. I had the following questions:

1. My car is of year 2008. Will I need a smog test?
2. What are the documents I need to register my car in CA. I have the registration, proof of insurance and my old driver's license. Don't have the title since it is held by the bank?
3. What are the penalties for registering outside the 20 day limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Is it really only 20 days?
Are you sure about that?
I thought it was like 6 months.
I'm 99.9% sure that you have to get that title even if it's held by the bank (i don't know what that means but you need the title or proof of it).
And yeah, it doesn't matter what year your car is.
It needs to be smogged now and then every 3 years (i think it's 3 - i never can remember ... duh ).
I don't know about fines but it'll be more than you want to pay.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Is it really only 20 days?
Are you sure about that?
I thought it was like 6 months.
I'm 99.9% sure that you have to get that title even if it's held by the bank (i don't know what that means but you need the title or proof of it).
And yeah, it doesn't matter what year your car is.
It needs to be smogged now and then every 3 years (i think it's 3 - i never can remember ... duh ).
I don't know about fines but it'll be more than you want to pay.
I just moved here from the Southeast myself and underwent the whole DMV process.

It is only 20 days.

The driver will need to have an official title from NC. He needs to contact the NC DMV to have one mailed to his new address.

Smog check definitely mandatory. It's actually every two years for cars older than six years of ago. Six and fewer years are subject to an annual smog abatement fee, sometimes pretty hefty depending on the value of the car, to the DMV.

Be prepared to take a written test, 35 questions total, in order to obtain your driver's license. You have to get 28 correct to pass. If you don't pass (which you probably will, the test isn't that hard, but you can download the driver's manual from the DMV website if you want to study), you'll have two more chances at different times.

Lastly, go on to the CA DMV's website and sign up for an appointment. You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
EDITED: The above two posts notwithstanding, the title is NOT required. It's called "Goldenrod" registration. Also the smog abatement fee is $8.

In order to register your vehicle in California, you'll need to turn in your registration card and fill out an application for registration. The title is NOT needed. You'll basically get a "registration only" in California until the loan is paid off. Make sure you have the correct spelling and address for your legal owner as legal owners get fussy about that.

No smog is due for vehicles less than 5 years old.

Penalties of 40% of the VLF are due for late applications. They will ask when the vehicle arrived in California.

The vehicle will need to be verified--this is free, and done at the DMV office.

There's a fee calculator at the DMV web site www.dmv.ca.gov that you can use to estimate your fees.

Make an appointment at 800-777-0133 for fastest service. You can also check on the website for your closest office and if you click on that office, it will tell you the current wait times for appointment and non-appointment.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
I registered our car about 4 months late (oops!) and they didn't bat an eyelash.
Also, the old tags had expired, and again no grief at all. Smog test, checked the registration, quick visual inspection, and we were out in a couple hours.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM

What is vlf?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM

199 posts, read 618,639 times
VLF = Vehicle License Fee

Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
I did mine at AAA. I didn't pay much attention, and let them handle it. The registration fee for my pickup was outrageous though. The smog test is nothing more than a standard emissions test. They do not have inspections on top of the emissions testing here like they did in PA. I got my CA plates, but I still haven't switched my license over. Still got my old PA one. Whatever.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM

How much usually is the VLF? @Sealtite How much did you have to pay for registration? Why was it more expensive than usual?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Oh yeah.
That reminds me ... i used AAA this summer to take care of everything. (i had a few issues).
It was so easy .... 1 person in front of me and i hardly had to wait at all and they were very friendly and alive (unlike the dmv folks , bless their hearts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose