Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,178 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NYC and have been living in Barcelona, Spain for the past 5 years. We're in our early 30s, just got married and planning to move to Cali. We would like to live somewhere with good weather, nature, lively cultural scene and diversity, (of course job opp.) and future possibilities to buy a house and family in 2-3 years. We're between San Fran and San Diego, but open to other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,047 times
Santa Barbara?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,178 times
Thanks for your suggestion. I know they advertise themselves as the American Riviera. I will investigate. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,028,685 times
I would focus on finding a job first then looking into where you want to live. The job market here is unpredictable and not great.

If you want urban, then look into SF, Oakland (yes it has nice parts), Berkeley, and Santa Cruz. Most suburbs around the Bay Area have an old downtown area with at least a few blocks of walkable shops and restaurants which are surrounded by suburban sprawl and suburban housing. If you want urban density with lots of walkable neighborhoods scattered about, then mainly look into SF, Oakland and Berkeley.

Being able to buy a house really depends on your budget, it's not cheap here. Could get a small fixer-upper in a nice but not trendy part of Oakland for around 350k-400k.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,544,790 times
Naples (Long Beach).

Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
Solvang is modeled after a Dutch village, wonderful place and wonderful weather.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:31 PM

96 posts, read 298,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Solvang is modeled after a Dutch village, wonderful place and wonderful weather.
There aren't many jobs in or near Solvang, nor is there much going on culturally or entertainment-wise.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,035,770 times
Nowhere has a culture that's like Spain's, nowhere I can think of, at least.

In terms of just being a really nice place to live, yeah Santa Barbara tops the list, but it's about 90 miles from L.A, and finding good jobs there might be tricky... it's affluent, but it's not the sort of place you move to, and then look for a job (unless you're a waitress).

The penninsula of the bay area might interest you - proximity to S.F, nice towns, affluent, great weather, great schools, low crime, modest little downtowns in the various cities...

No surprise that all the places I'm telling you about have very expensive real estate, of course...

I gotta say San Diego is quite nice, and for whatever reason, it's quite a bit cheaper than the bay area (or Santa Barbara). I don't know why. In San Digo, check out the La Jolla (shores) area.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,485,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaleC View Post
I am originally from NYC and have been living in Barcelona, Spain for the past 5 years. We're in our early 30s, just got married and planning to move to Cali. We would like to live somewhere with good weather, nature, lively cultural scene and diversity, (of course job opp.) and future possibilities to buy a house and family in 2-3 years. We're between San Fran and San Diego, but open to other options.

Definitely....go to San Francisco.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaleC View Post
Cali is a city in Colombia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose