U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 PM

40 posts, read 141,845 times

Advertisements

Greetings all -

My fiancé and I are planning to move to california next June 2008.
A few background notes: we're both from southern CA area and want to stay in the northern parts, we want to be within driving distance to the beach and ov course we want to move where are jobs can support us. We enjoy art, music(k) and bit ov the underground culture, etc. .

San Jose seems the most likely suspect. I am a graphic & web designer and my soon-to-be wife works in hospitality. we reside in charlotte, nc now and just want more.. more ov everything.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-93-
mere & rosa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM

76 posts, read 391,052 times
San Jose is 30 minutes to Santa Cruz Beach. There is a lot of stuff to do around here so that shouldn't be a concern. As of employment, you are moving to Silicon Valley and there's demand for web developers. Just realize though, that moving from Charlotte, NC to Silicon Valley means you will have a lifestyle adjustment in terms of affordability. Housing, for one, is more expensive. Apartment rent will be higher as well.

As of underground culture, there isn't one here - best would be San Francisco for that.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 PM

5,716 posts, read 15,034,015 times
There's underground culture everywhere. Any place there are people, there are people doing things. If you know of a place with an established underground culture, that's probably because it isn't underground.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 AM

40 posts, read 141,845 times
It's true. The most massive change I think we will be facing is the cost of living. Especially compared to NC. We hope though, that our skills and professions can cover that. I mean.. if there are other graphic designers out there doing it, then what's another one. I know people always need hotels to stay at too so my girl should be fine finding a job.

We would like a house. 2br. is preferred. Kind of want to get out there for a while first then maybe consider buying a house for the first time. . . .

Thanks for the replies!! - Does anyone else have any other suggestions for area's, counties to look up when we go and visit?

thanks again
mere/rosa

Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,999,049 times
Honestly it's all relative to where you work. You want to find out exactly where you will be working, then find your pad based on that.

You may rent a home in Morgan Hill, only to get a job in Hayward and face a nightmare commute (just an example).

Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,777,777 times
The Ho is for no one!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 54,381 times
I honestly don't suggest anyone move to the valley unless you're going to have dual $100k+ income's.

As a graphic designer, you'll probably make 60-90k (??) unless you do freelance work. Your girlfriend will probably make 40-50k. Thats not enough to buy a house. Go somewhere where the housing market is more affordable. The valley has a little higher pay, but it doesn't make up for the cost of housing.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 PM

475 posts, read 1,131,069 times
You should probably stay in NC for a better cost of living. I hear that wages in NC aren't that bad also.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM

28,267 posts, read 30,830,561 times
I honestly don't suggest anyone move to the valley unless you're going to have dual $100k+ income's.

As a graphic designer, you'll probably make 60-90k (??) unless you do freelance work. Your girlfriend will probably make 40-50k. Thats not enough to buy a house. Go somewhere where the housing market is more affordable. The valley has a little higher pay, but it doesn't make up for the cost of housing.

I live in SJ and agree with Muck's assessment above.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 27,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muck View Post

I totally agree! My husband and I have a combined salary of $250k, and we are still planning to leave the valley due to ridiculous house price. We can have a much better quality of life somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or