Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,003 times

Advertisements

Yeah if a place is like $300 to $1000 less than the cheapest apartment in your city, you know it's probably a scam. They try to prey on people who haven't moved here yet and don't know what typical rent for a place is.

Often in the San Francisco listings on craigslist, you'll see some listing along the lines of "4 bd house for rent for $400 a month in beautiful San Francisco" and they show a photo of what looks like a mansion in suburban Florida. You gotta know that's a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:23 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
how would the OP or someone else not familiar with this area/SV know that it's a scam ? That's why the best source for housing (Craigslist) needs to be scrutinized over many months to get a good feel for what's REAL and what's SCAMMERS .
Yes, I agree with what you're saying, but that's part of the reason why I chimed in with the other poster....It saves the OP time if she knows $700 for an apartment anywhere in SV is most likely a scam.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:46 PM

653 posts, read 943,569 times
$700 would be reasonable rent where I am, so I'm glad you were knowledgeable enough to know that non-locals wouldn't know the area well enough to know that's a scam in SV. Thank you!

I'm still in utter shock that rent for a room in someone else's house in SV can sometimes cost more than my mortgage in MD (and, though I just sold my home to prep for the move, my home was in one of the better neighborhoods)! That's why I'm trying to learn the SV market now. #1, so I have enough saved before the move. #2, so I don't get scammed, being a single woman from the East Coast that doesn't know a single person in SV.

I truly appreciate all the feedback. Do continue to post, should you have more to share.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,777,580 times
Unhappy It's very hard to tell "ALL" the scams from the real ads on CL

That's why you have to take time to look at the ads and get a feel for the REAL ones vs the FAKE ones. And believe me, it is NOT an easy process since between the fake ones and the crazy landlords, it can be pretty slim pickings in SVland !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
$700 would be reasonable rent where I am, so I'm glad you were knowledgeable enough to know that non-locals wouldn't know the area well enough to know that's a scam in SV. Thank you!

I'm still in utter shock that rent for a room in someone else's house in SV can sometimes cost more than my mortgage in MD (and, though I just sold my home to prep for the move, my home was in one of the better neighborhoods)! That's why I'm trying to learn the SV market now. #1, so I have enough saved before the move. #2, so I don't get scammed, being a single woman from the East Coast that doesn't know a single person in SV.

I truly appreciate all the feedback. Do continue to post, should you have more to share.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM

160 posts, read 453,948 times
Downtown San Jose has a bunch of boarding houses - mostly older Victorians that rent each room separately. Specifically, there are a bunch by SJSU. I'd be hard pressed to find these online but they are pretty easy to spot when you drive the area.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahOwen View Post
Downtown San Jose has a bunch of boarding houses - mostly older Victorians that rent each room separately. Specifically, there are a bunch by SJSU. I'd be hard pressed to find these online but they are pretty easy to spot when you drive the area.
FABULOUS advice! Thanks! There are so many little things about a city that you just can't know until you've actually been there. Thanks for sharing the tip!!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post

I'm still in utter shock that rent for a room in someone else's house in SV can sometimes cost more than my mortgage in MD (and, though I just sold my home to prep for the move, my home was in one of the better neighborhoods)! That's why I'm trying to learn the SV market now. #1, so I have enough saved before the move. #2, so I don't get scammed, being a single woman from the East Coast who doesn't know a single person in SV.

You're welcome for the feedback. The housing market here is tough. Do not expect it to get better. It never does.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,777,580 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l#post22297799

You can check out my new thread for some tips and examples when searching for rental housing in the bay. I will try and add more examples and tips over the coming weeks/months !

Best wishes on your move,

~HDL~

Quote:
<<snip snip
I'm thinking when I get some free time maybe later this month, that I will write a "Craigslist 101" thread in the Renting section of CDF (City Data forum) to help folks navigate CL and hopefully minimize their chance of being scammed . snip snip>>

Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l#post22297799

You can check out my new thread for some tips and examples when searching for rental housing in the bay. I will try and add more examples and tips over the coming weeks/months !

Best wishes on your move,

~HDL~

You're the best, HDL! Thanks for letting me know, and an even bigger thank you for taking the time to inform us transplants. While I've lived in CA before, it was SoCal and I was married then. Moving cross country alone and to a part of CA I've never been is daunting enough. Due to the generosity of people like you sharing your knowledge, hopefully I can at least take the stress out of picking a safe place to live. Thank you again for everything. I'm pretty sure once I get there I'm going to owe several CDers lunch, at the very least. Thank you again, and I look forward to reading your other thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose