Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM

28 posts, read 65,754 times

Advertisements

@gagirlatl just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'm currently a couple of hours south of Atlanta on my way to move back to the Bay Area, and it's been a bit tough landing interviews (I'm a Sr IT Admin), and I've had to fly back 3 times on short notice which cost me about a grand every time with rental cars and what not.

Having said that, I do think you should move, if nothing else for the experience, as long as you have your expectations in check. You already know it's more expensive. Do yo know by how much? Expect to pay at least twice the rent and for lower quality. A lot of homes in Palo Alto and surrounding areas are "spiffed up 1950's homes" meaning to say there's a thin veneer of updates, but the core is still old. Thin walls, cold floors, etc. Sales tax is higher so, gas prices higher, distances greater, and so on and so forth.

Having said all that, there are usually ways to get around expenses by wise choices, find a place close to work and bike, locate mom and shop restaurants that are good and cheap or cook yourself, use socks indoors in the winter time, and so on and so forth. Then of course, you'll make more money. In my profession salaries are about 40% higher in the Bay Area, but you'll have to negotiate wisely. If they know you're from out of town, they'll try to low ball you big time. Don't compare Atlanta numbers with SF Bay Area numbers because they will not match. Use relocation calculator tools, salary.com, etc and find ways to objectively motivate what you're worth, and don't be shy about it, it's just negotiation.

Good luck Sweetie, and have a ball in the bay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM

497 posts, read 696,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by befr33 View Post
@gagirlatl just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I'm currently a couple of hours south of Atlanta on my way to move back to the Bay Area, and it's been a bit tough landing interviews (I'm a Sr IT Admin), and I've had to fly back 3 times on short notice which cost me about a grand every time with rental cars and what not.

Having said that, I do think you should move, if nothing else for the experience, as long as you have your expectations in check. You already know it's more expensive. Do yo know by how much? Expect to pay at least twice the rent and for lower quality. A lot of homes in Palo Alto and surrounding areas are "spiffed up 1950's homes" meaning to say there's a thin veneer of updates, but the core is still old. Thin walls, cold floors, etc. Sales tax is higher so, gas prices higher, distances greater, and so on and so forth.

Having said all that, there are usually ways to get around expenses by wise choices, find a place close to work and bike, locate mom and shop restaurants that are good and cheap or cook yourself, use socks indoors in the winter time, and so on and so forth. Then of course, you'll make more money. In my profession salaries are about 40% higher in the Bay Area, but you'll have to negotiate wisely. If they know you're from out of town, they'll try to low ball you big time. Don't compare Atlanta numbers with SF Bay Area numbers because they will not match. Use relocation calculator tools, salary.com, etc and find ways to objectively motivate what you're worth, and don't be shy about it, it's just negotiation.

Good luck Sweetie, and have a ball in the bay!
Thanks! Yes, I have used to cost-of-living comparison website to calculate the difference - which was a bit shocking at first. It really must be a great place to live to cost so much. I'll test the water and see what happens. Best wishes to you, too!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Bottom line is to think of SV as Manhattan. If you can find a job that enables you to support yourself there are lots of opportunities to grow professionally.

A couple years ago my daughter needed an Admin. She hired gal who was graduating from Stanford. I gave her the mother equivalent of 'what the heck?', she retorted that the grad was smart but still trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life (art history major on a tennis scholorship). Brains and performance first and foremost. Where else can a Stanford grad be hired for an admin position. (Eh, not your everyday admin positon but that is another story.)

Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Bottom line is to think of SV as Manhattan. If you can find a job that enables you to support yourself there are lots of opportunities to grow professionally.

A couple years ago my daughter needed an Admin. She hired gal who was graduating from Stanford. I gave her the mother equivalent of 'what the heck?', she retorted that the grad was smart but still trying to figure out what she wanted to do with her life (art history major on a tennis scholorship). Brains and performance first and foremost. Where else can a Stanford grad be hired for an admin position. (Eh, not your everyday admin positon but that is another story.)

But what else are you going to do with a Art History degree?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

Sounds more like the downside of a recession economy than a career decision to me.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystriker View Post
It's not smart to move San Jose at all. It's a soullest arpit with no downtown core to have a social life in. The further from San Jose, the better your life will be and cheaper. You'll be sorry if you do move to San Jose. Oakland, SF and San Diego are best bets. LA, Fresno, Sacramento and others are not necessarily bad, too. Stay away from San Jose!
If we are successfully scaring the paranoid delusional folk from our little town, then all the better. OP: These are the types who can't hang here. And that is just fine, and so is the weather.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
Watch out for the "lots of warm weather", though. It definitely gets chilly here in the winter, depends on how you define "warm".
Eh, well we're not a winter resort type place, but it's warmer here in January than in Atlanta:

Average January High/Low:

San Jose: 58/41

Atlanta: 52/34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose