Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:21 PM

35 posts, read 100,334 times

Advertisements

Hi im looking to buy a house and was wondering if anyone knows if Hayward is a bad place to buy. The houses there seem to be nicer and more in my price range. I was also considering fremont but the houses are a little more than what i can afford for what I want to buy. I have just been looking on zillow and maybe you can give me an idea of how safe the areas i have been looking at are. Here are links to the houses I looked at.

569 Cottage Park Dr, Hayward, CA 94544 MLS# 382855 - Zillow

19971 Kennedy Park Pl, Hayward, CA 94541 - Zillow

If you have suggestions for more affordable places in fremont or around that area that might be safer and have good school district please let me know. My price range is about 350-430k

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Unfortunately, with your budget you probably won't be able to find a great house in a great neighborhood in the Bay Area. You'd have to travel farther out to find cheaper prices for nice homes.

Honestly, Hayward overall is not very nice. There are nice parts (mainly in the hills) and some reasonably safe flatland areas as well. Overall though, it really is a pretty dumpy city. I would look at crime mapping websites to get an idea of where most of the crime is concentrated. A lot of industry has left the city, leaving behind many empty buildings and vacant lots that are neglected.

Crime is somewhat high as well. I have a co-worker who has been on the Hayward PD for many years and he says things like home break-ins and car thefts are almost shrugged off as "just another day in Hayward". That says something...basically that they have too many other worse crimes to deal with on a daily basis.

Fremont is much nicer than Hayward and even its worst areas are really not too bad. Crime is much lower in Fremont and most schools range from decent to very good. Fremont has some very high performing schools, although, as expected, they happen to be in the more expensive parts of town. Your price range could get you a nice condo or townhouse in Fremont, but probably not a single family home.

I would also recommend parts of Newark. Newark is a separate city that is completely surrounded by Fremont on all sides. People who aren't from the area would have no idea when they cross from one city to the other, apart from street signage. Some parts of Newark are pretty dumpy, but most are perfectly fine, although nothing special. Newark overall is mostly safe but does have some issues with crime, especially considering that it's such a small city. It's much safer than Hayward though. I live in the Lake Neighborhood, which is by far the nicest part of town. You probably wouldn't be able to buy a house in this neighborhood in your price range though, unfortunately. My wife and I can afford to rent in this area but couldn't afford to buy the same type of house that we live in.

I'm not a fan of Union City, but you may also want to look there. It is a better option than Hayward, but still not that great. You probably wouldn't find a nice single family home in a good part of town in your price range.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks for your insight. I have seen some pretty decent to nice houses in my range in fremont as well as union city, newark, and hayward. I just come from a place where if a place isn't good its visibily evident but here these neighborhoods seem ok. The links I posted for the house in Hayward seemed like a fine place are u familiar with that area?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
As far as I understand Hayward, the second one is in a better area.. resale value is weaker in Hayward in general due to the reputation of the city and the quality of the schools.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM

The first house would definitely be the better choice. Your still close to some shady areas, but it would probably be a quiet neighborhood overall. I would steer clear of the Kennedy Park Place home...far away.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Where do you plan to commute to? What is your other search criteria? Have you looked in to Castro Valley, east of Hayward? Have you looked at Milpitas, south of Fremont?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
The first house would definitely be the better choice. Your still close to some shady areas, but it would probably be a quiet neighborhood overall. I would steer clear of the Kennedy Park Place home...far away.
Why? The second one is basically in San Lorenzo and even is in that city's school district..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I would steer clear of the Kennedy Park Place home...far away.
I have to agree. I grew up there and it was a weird area even in the 60's-70's (before those homes were built) and there is no way I would live there now. I drove by recently out of nostalgia and trash was laying all over everyones yards and stuff. Really dumpy.

Look more into San Lorenzo for a better area, but expect smaller, older homes that what these are.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Where do you plan to commute to? What is your other search criteria? Have you looked in to Castro Valley, east of Hayward? Have you looked at Milpitas, south of Fremont?
Well i work in san jose and my wife works in hayward so im trying to move closer for her commute doesnt bother me that much but i want a decent area with decent to good schools at least so im kinda stearing away from hayward and more towards fremont and newark maybe. How bad is union city and do you have suggestions for houses in milpitas to look into i didnt find anything that great there

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Why? The second one is basically in San Lorenzo and even is in that city's school district..

That area is not a good area at all. San Lorenzo in general is not very good. They're are a few ok pockets but a lot of it is sketchy. FYI, San Lorenzo is an unincorporated community of Alameda county and is not an actual city.

To the OP, as far as Milpitas goes, in your price range, you would probably be in an older, less-attractive neighborhood. In Milpitas though, run-down neighborhoods with unkept yards don't equate with unsafe. Milpitas has very low crime, good schools (some great), is very clean and well-maintained. My parents live in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Milpitas and it's very hit or miss as far as general upkeep goes. Crime is almost non-existent though. Milpitas does have some very nice areas as well, but they may be out of your price range. Although your wife's commute would be further, it would be more of a reverse commute. Most people on I-880 or Mission Blvd. (the main route choices) would be heading in the opposite direction.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider Union City to be bad per se. It just has a somewhat surprising amount of crime (especially gang-related crime), considering that it appears to be a typical suburban family-oriented type of place. It's a boring suburban community with a lot more of a "ghetto-vibe" than you'd expect. Hang out at the movie theater at Union Landing on the weekend, or better yet TGI Friday's and you'll see what I mean. My wife and I live two freeway exits away from there and will drive all the way to Dublin to see a movie. I know quite a few people who do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose