Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,968 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to the forum...

I'm seriously considering a move to San Jose - SV, back to the U.S. (don't have an offer though). I currently live in Spain, where I studied and lived for some long years now. I'm married and have two kids. We both want a change.

I work in the tech business and am not suffering the suffocating crisis, yet am a bit stuck to the position.

Would it be too difficult to land a job before crossing the ocean? Have a BS and some years work experience.

How is life for kids? Public or private schools?

Any comments welcome!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I had a job offer when I moved back to the U.S. from Spain 10 years ago. I'm not in the same field as you are, but you can go to the websites where you'll find your type of employment and then ask to have an interview by phone.
I'll also be working in San Jose, as I just got a new job there. Rents are pretty expensive compared to much of the U.S. and even compared to most places in CA. Have a look at craigslist.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Tech is hiring like crazy here, but I'm not sure I would gamble with a wife and kids.
Maybe at least have some solid leads, make a visit or two to the area, before making any decisions.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples4paper View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum...

I'm seriously considering a move to San Jose - SV, back to the U.S. (don't have an offer though). I currently live in Spain, where I studied and lived for some long years now. I'm married and have two kids. We both want a change.

I work in the tech business and am not suffering the suffocating crisis, yet am a bit stuck to the position.

Would it be too difficult to land a job before crossing the ocean? Have a BS and some years work experience.

How is life for kids? Public or private schools?

Any comments welcome!

Cheers
This is a tough place to raise kids because of the high housing costs (either renting or owning). It's excacerbated by the fact that the schools are lousy...so renting/owning in a good school district is even more expensive. It typically takes 2 full time professional incomes in order to afford a bland 3BR tract house here. Unless you are earning 200K per year or more, you are probably not going to be able to afford private school, and even then money will probably be tight.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

OK, sounds good from the job perspective...

Now for housing, we're used to living in a tiny apartment here (about 750 sq ft - not so strange around here). We would like something quite bigger though...

Quote:
It's excacerbated by the fact that the schools are lousy...
I'm most probably not going to reach those 200k... I guess you're referring to lousiness in public schools... what's the matter with them over there? I've been checking stats here on city-data and don't find a major issue...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
For schools: California School Performance Maps
For apartments, craigslist, of course, and you can supplement by looking at the map given on:
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

What I like about the area is you have a number of very nice dowtowns in a variety of towns here, and you're close to "the city", which is less than an hour away by car from almost anywhere in the South Bay.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:58 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
If you were a US citizen, it would not be difficult at all.
I imagine as an immigrant, it would be more difficult to line up the H1-B, but nowadays it should still be possible because a lot of companies here are bringing in international workers to fill the demand.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
For schools: California School Performance Maps
For apartments, craigslist, of course, and you can supplement by looking at the map given on:
Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Wow, those links are awesome, helpful!
The area is a bit expensive yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you were a US citizen, it would not be difficult at all.
This is the case . Though I have to calculate like if I were the only income source, cause my spouse's English is a bit weak yet.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Wow, those links are awesome, helpful!
The area is a bit expensive yup...

This is the case . Though I have to calculate like if I were the only income source, cause my spouse's English is a bit weak yet.
Not an issue around here.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Not an issue around here.
Yup. Fluent King's English is something of a rarity around here. Which makes it that much more of a plus when trying to secure employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose