Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asqwrd View Post
These are the ones that we found in castro valley but they say san leandro for some reason

16969 President Dr, San Leandro, CA 94578 | MLS# 384681

16464 SEVERN Rd, San Leandro, CA 94578 | MLS# 40556933

Opinions on these houses and the area would help us greatly thanks
Those homes are in San Leandro. The one on Severn Road is in an area called Bancroft Gardens.

94578 is a San Leandro zip code.

I still think you are better off in Union City or Fremont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 PM

105 posts, read 338,165 times
What about Newark?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
What about Newark?
Check out this previous thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-thornton.html

Old 02-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have lived in both places, Union City had a lot of problems with drugs and other crime, really lousy water that tasted like chlorine, and truck/train noise even at night. We pretty much hated it there and actually moved from there to Oakland where we were happier. When we were ready to start a family we bought in Castro Valley where we were very happy with the schools our 3 kids went to. I went to Cal State Hayward (now East Bay) and spend a lot of time in Hayward, many parts of it (hills) are fine but the flatlands seem even more sketchy lately than when I was there. When in the area I still go to Buffalo Bill's for food and beer but that's about it.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Personally I would prefer Castro Valley to UC. It just seems a bit less ramshackle and less rough. YMMV.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:15 PM

35 posts, read 100,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Check out this previous thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-thornton.html
I saw a house in newark on carter ave it was a gated community but my concern is the schools. The middle and highschool seemed decent but the elementary school had low test scores. How easy is open enrollment. Is it too much of a hassle to do or should i just go for castro valley and have that peace of mind of safety and schools but deal with a long commute

Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
I know to stay away from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th streets at least (et etc)...they rent near one of these streets.
That is the absolute worst, most crime-ridden section of Union City; it always has been, and it is nothing at all like the tree-lined neighborhoods that have built up in other areas. The demographics are very different in other parts of town.

Many areas of Union City (an "All-American City") are peaceful and calm, and there is the advantage in the southernmost area which borders Fremont (East of 880), south of Decoto Rd. to walk or drive to the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station.

Union City is the site of a Kaiser Medical Center (offices only, no hospital beds) and a very nice library which is open seven days a week, the only library in Alameda County which is open daily.

Castro Valley is very nice (generally, but not everywhere) but more expensive, and it has a trauma center at Eden Hospital, but expect to pay more to rent or buy in Castro Valley. The weather is a bit hotter in summer than either Hayward or Union City.

Hayward has definitely gone downhill, and the Kaiser Hospital there will shut down in 2015, though some of the offices may remain.

And now...I see that this is an older thread. I hope that the information will help someone, nevertheless.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
the answer to cv vs uc is going to be cv for the vast majority of ppl, even if i may be biased bc i was born and raised there

i feel sorry for the op tho if hes working in sj and commuting from the east bay, for the price of a house in cv u can find a decent place in santa clara county

Last edited by CousinMaynard; 06-24-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erian View Post
Fremont and Union City are suburban towns, mostly residential area where traffic is as hell in the peak hours, but most of the day traffic is phantasms. Hayward and Castro Valley are suburban towns but with industrial and full of commerces in the downtown and principal blvds which make a sense of alive towns, but the residential and non-commerce areas are very quiet and nothing to do. San Leandro is an Urban extension of Oakland, not so bad but has some areas that are very dangerous and equally has some areas that are safety.
castro valley is industrial and alive u say?!

maybe if somebody was there on a fri or sat night before the u turns on the blvd were made illegal, thereby killing 'cruisin the boulevard'
otherwise cv is really quiet and the opposite of industrial, its an unincorporated town with no big businesses

the big box stores triedto hustle thru a measure to incorporate cv a few years back, and it was defeated resoundingly

Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Congratulations for resurrecting a thread that had been dead for well over a year !!!

And you did it by "quoting" a post that pre-dated YOUR previous post on this thread (by a whole month) !!

The OP hasn't logged in to the site since 05-17-2012 !!

You, sir, are a true champ !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose