Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 AM

60 posts, read 350,721 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to SJ/Santa Clara, and I was talking with someone re, and they said students have to be registered every year, and it's 1st come 1st serve with where the kids end up. Her friend at one point ended up with 2 kids in different schools. Is this true??? She also said there are no school buses, and parents have to transport. true as well?

Can anyone share their experiences with the public school system in this area?

We don't have a living location picked yet, but I have 2 kids who'll need to be in public schools.

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by Momma_s; 05-28-2008 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Don't panic. But yes, it is very strange that way here. It's like you need to be in a secret club to get your kids into a good school. That's why I said earlier to check the schools first before signing a lease or mortgage. However, once your kids are in that school, I don't think they will take them out the following year. That's the first I've heard of this. Cupertino is nutty though, so stuff like that could happen there...but then again, folks in Cupertino are finishing out attics so that an entire family can move in and send their kids to those schools.

I ended up in Pleasanton because of this and the fact that it feels more like Southern CA (where I'm from); and while all their schools are top rated as well, you do not have the politics and concentrations of a single ethnicity like you have in the South Bay. But your tradeoff is the commute. If you can make that 25 mile trek everyday, then there is a really nice suburban lifestyle waiting there for you. If commuting feels like a disease and suburbia makes you gag, then stay south and learn to play the game in San Jose. Tradeoffs is the name of the game here.

In a nutshell, there are several areas that have excellent public school systems across the board: Cupertino, Palo Alto, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Los Altos and Pleasanton. Start by researching these areas to get a big picture view, then start narrowing your focus into a specific spot based on the tradeoffs you are willing to accept.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM

60 posts, read 350,721 times
Hi, socketz! Well, DH got the job, so we're a-movin on out your way!
A Q for U: Are we guaranteed to get into the school once we start renting in that school's zone, or could we be sent elsewhere in the city's district? I mean, here, you start living in an area, you go to that area's school--no issues.

Also, is it true that there aren't school buses?

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
No busses that I'm aware of, but that's pretty much the same throughout CA. The state is pretty poor when it comes to this type of funding.

As for schools, you usually stay in the same school district, but if the district just has say 2 out of 10 schools that excellent, the 2 schools will be impacted (i.e. people in the bad schools do inter district transfers to the good ones). You need to move to a distict where all the schools are excellent: Pleasanton, Cupertino, Los Gatos, etc.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 8,057 times
Default Consider Evergreen area

I live in the Evergreen area of San Jose (South San Jose) and the schools there are very good (they score similar to Cupertino, Palo Alto at the Elementary level). It is possible to rent a 3/4 bedroom house there for around $3000 too. As for school buses, we have them in Evergreen and my kids go to school on the school bus every day.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 AM

226 posts, read 1,125,984 times
Yes, for the most part, there are no buses for students.

When you move to a district with both excellent schools and those that are not, and your home or future rental is in the excellent school zone, just make sure that you register ahead of time before school starts for that year to get into your local school, usually during the summer, but sometimes even spring or June of the prior year. Call the school district to make sure. It is when you move in mid-year that causes problems, and your children are sent to schools outside your attendance area if your neighborhood schools are full.

Be prepared for a cultural experience! The Bay Area and its schools are very diverse in most cities!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM

9 posts, read 64,635 times
your child gets placed into a school according to where you live. at least for the east side union school district. a lot of people try to transfer out into different schools and do so by "borrowing" the address of a friend. yep.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,241 times
We are moving from saratoga with Cupertino school to los altos with Cupertino schools in the end of march since is almost the end of the year and is the same school distric can we just finish the year in saratoga and then transfer my kids ? I would hate to transfer her in the end of the school year to a new school .Please any help what to do ?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Sometimes it is better to transfer near the end of the school year because your child will have an opportunity to get to meet children to play with during the summer.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonsharon View Post
I live in the Evergreen area of San Jose (South San Jose) and the schools there are very good (they score similar to Cupertino, Palo Alto at the Elementary level). It is possible to rent a 3/4 bedroom house there for around $3000 too. As for school buses, we have them in Evergreen and my kids go to school on the school bus every day.
Isn't Evergreen considered the East Side? A friend of mine who's family used to live in Evergreen told me while their elementary and middle schools range from 'ok' to 'great' (comparable to the areas you mentioned), their high schools are bad and suffer from disciplinary issues and mismanagement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose