Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
The Best Buy on Almaden?
Yes, they've been tearing up every corner of Almaden Expressway between Blossom Hill and Almaden in preparation for the nightmare that is going to cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM

43 posts, read 121,909 times
Sonarrat, do you know if they are going to re-vamp the exit from 85 North near the Costco? The one with all the wacky lanes to funnel traffic on to Almaden in a slow and awkward way?

I figure the WalMart will cause increased congestion at the outset, but don't you think that will die down when the thrill wears off? There used to be a Home Depot Expo in that location -- I don't think its presence was a traffic magnet, was it?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Nobody knew the Home Depot Expo was there, let alone used it. I don't think we'll be so fortunate with Walmart, even if the store is technically the same size.

I don't see any work being done on the offramp from southbound 85 yet. As it is, with all the stores in that plaza but particularly Costco, the traffic leaving it always gridlocks the intersection for traffic trying to go northbound on Almaden (since that second lane is also the way to 85).

Old 02-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Yes that makes sense, a WalMart will generate much more interest.

I'd like to kick the engineer who designed that particularly bzyantine and short section of exit/entrance for 85 and the Costco center...

Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM

865 posts, read 1,818,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Yes, they've been tearing up every corner of Almaden Expressway between Blossom Hill and Almaden in preparation for the nightmare that is going to cause.
Thanks for the info.

Morons! As if that area isn't congested enough as it is. Who approves this stuff? Probably the same who thought it was brilliant to put nearly every high-traffic shop at Almaden & Blossom Hill (except a Wal-mart).

I'm actually a bit disappointed as I really enjoyed that I rarely ever see a Wal Mart in the Bay Area. What a shame.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieanna View Post
Yes that makes sense, a WalMart will generate much more interest.

I'd like to kick the engineer who designed that particularly bzyantine and short section of exit/entrance for 85 and the Costco center...
Tell me about it. I've started taking Almaden all the way from Branham to 87 and back instead of going through that mess. And if I have to get on 85 southbound, I take Capitol over to 87 to connect..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Status: "MAGA - Mental Ability Gone Awry" (set 29 days ago)

13,152 posts, read 21,686,930 times
The biggest issue with the Costco ramp isn't so much the design, but the exiting shoppers from Costco who gridlock the intersection. If they obeyed the law about blocking intersections, I think it would be fine. There's even a sign there saying not to block the intersection. I wish they'd plant a cop there to enforce it.

Oh, and I'm a big Walmart fan.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 AM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The biggest issue with the Costco ramp isn't so much the design, but the exiting shoppers from Costco who gridlock the intersection. If they obeyed the law about blocking intersections, I think it would be fine. There's even a sign there saying not to block the intersection. I wish they'd plant a cop there to enforce it.

Sorry, but I disagree. That whole area is poorly designed for the amount of traffic it gets.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post

It's a terrible bottleneck and it backs up traffic in all directions at the bottom of the ramp from 85. If they had designed it with a separate ramp on the other side dumping out onto Almaden northbound, it would have saved people a lot of headaches. As it is, the intersection gets gridlocked, the people getting out of Costco get the green and go through to take the left, and by the time those of us who live in the area get another green to get off the ramp, we have to wait through another light cycle to turn left onto Almaden. It's incomprehensible.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 AM

But how can it be that they are going to tear up every corner at Almaden, 85 and Blossom Hill without fixing this one most egregious spot?! Is that the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose