Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet1984 View Post
Well,

I ended up moving to 4th street in a 1BHK. Downtown SJSU isn't actually that bad!
Farmers' Market opens April 6 at San Pedro Square, and will be open every Friday thereafter. One of the better aspects of DTSJ. Too bad they cancelled Music in the Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Farmers' Market opens April 6 at San Pedro Square, and will be open every Friday thereafter. One of the better aspects of DTSJ. Too bad they cancelled Music in the Park.
It is a shame they cancelled Music in the Park. It was because it was attracting a trashy crowd (a minority, to be sure) who were vandalizing local businesses. Also, the cost of police overtime to run the event was more than the City can afford. One more thing ruined by greed and stupidity.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM

10 posts, read 25,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Sucks about the music park, I'll have to try out Farmer's market for sure..

Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet1984 View Post
Well,

I ended up moving to 4th street in a 1BHK. Downtown SJSU isn't actually that bad!
Hi,

I am moving downtown as well at the end of the month (2nd and Santa Clara). While the area looks fine during the day, I am curious what your experience has been at night? I am moving from Sacramento and SJ crime stats are much lower. But, I am hearing stories regarding crime/thugs/etc. Also, I went on the SJ Police website and saw there were three assaults within a block of my apartment within the last week. This is a little disconcerting . . . I will not be doing a lot of walking outside of parking my car at the Third St garage and going to the SJ Athletic club on Third.

Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettleusn View Post
Hi,

I am moving downtown as well at the end of the month (2nd and Santa Clara). While the area looks fine during the day, I am curious what your experience has been at night? I am moving from Sacramento and SJ crime stats are much lower. But, I am hearing stories regarding crime/thugs/etc. Also, I went on the SJ Police website and saw there were three assaults within a block of my apartment within the last week. This is a little disconcerting . . . I will not be doing a lot of walking outside of parking my car at the Third St garage and going to the SJ Athletic club on Third.

Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated.
There are different sections of San Jose's downtown that have their own pluses and minuses. The area right around the light-rail station there is busy pretty much all the time, and it feels inner-city gritty. The area around 280 and the college is dominated by university students. Naglee Park, east of the college, is an upscale walkable urban neighborhood of single-family homes. St. James Park is overrun with homeless and drug dealers. The neighborhood around Julian/St. James in the teens is low-end duplexes and the like. Japantown is a cute area with lots of charm and long-established businesses. And then, there's the area around the Shark Tank which is closest to what one might look for in a downtown.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
pretty much this ^^

Downtown San Jose is pretty small considering it's the third most populated city in CA. Despite that, it varies quite a bit from block to block. It's a very compact area and good areas are very close to "bad" areas. I put "bad" in quotes, because I actually don't feel unsafe anywhere around downtown SJ. It can attract a somewhat sketchy crowd at times, but there is nowhere in the downtown area that actually makes me feel unsafe. There is a heavy police presence on weekends because of all the nightclubs and the stereotypically unsavory crowd that goes to them...which I personally like since I'm not up to no good and have no reason to worry about being harassed by the police. If you're coming from Sac, trust me you should feel perfectly safe. The sketchy areas around downtown Sac are much worse than anything downtown SJ offers.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 AM

10 posts, read 25,631 times
Edit: Been here about six months. Its not a bad place, a bit shady sometimes. The food is good and the bars are good near the 1st street. SJSU has a mostly young student crowd and if you're looking for a more uptown feel I'd avoid that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose