Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,728,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
Today I accepted a job offer. As I said earlier in this thread, I had been out of work for a little over three months.
Seems like an unusually long time. What specifically is your job title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,612,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
In a perfect world, but we must ask why Americans are falling behind people around the world in skills and knowledge in key vocational areas, to the point of losing a comparative advantage we have enjoyed for a long time...up til now. The kids ain't gettin' edgumucated no more, ya know?
Next time you drive by a S.J. school, take a look at where your tax dollars are going. With illegals in our classrooms, citizens can't get a good education. The college seats we paid for are being filled by non-Californians. There are many other posts regarding Americans being pushed to the back of line so foreigners can get our education, health care, and jobs, including the Berkeley bake sale thread. Amercians didn't lead the world in education, medicine, science, technology, and send people to the moon and then suddenly become stupid overnight. Did you see all the job postings on MyVisaJob? Those jobs should be offered to Americans.

EdJS, best of luck to you with your new job!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM

943 posts, read 1,316,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Seems like an unusually long time. What specifically is your job title?
"Expert Software Engineer"

Actually, I was informally offered the job almost a month ago, but it took a long time to get all the approval signatures because the executives were travelling overseas. And, as I said, the first month I didn't really look because of the end of year holidays. So it really only took one month of serious job hunting to find this job.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,779,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Next time you drive by a S.J. school, take a look at where your tax dollars are going. With illegals in our classrooms, citizens can't get a good education. The college seats we paid for are being filled by non-Californians. There are many other posts regarding Americans being pushed to the back of line so foreigners can get our education, health care, and jobs, including the Berkeley bake sale thread. Amercians didn't lead the world in education, medicine, science, technology, and send people to the moon and then suddenly become stupid overnight. Did you see all the job postings on MyVisaJob? Those jobs should be offered to Americans.
Send a message to the capitalists that control the pursestrings: Buy American. Not all that easy, though.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
"Expert Software Engineer"

Actually, I was informally offered the job almost a month ago, but it took a long time to get all the approval signatures because the executives were travelling overseas. And, as I said, the first month I didn't really look because of the end of year holidays. So it really only took one month of serious job hunting to find this job.
So of the three months, one month you weren't actively looking for a job because it was the holidays ... And the third month you were waiting for the executives to sign the paperwork, correct? So it took you a total of one month of actively applying for jobs before you were offered a job informally?

If that's the case, I'm not sure I understand your original post. Are you complaining about the length of time it took you to land a job?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM

943 posts, read 1,316,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
So of the three months, one month you weren't actively looking for a job because it was the holidays ... And the third month you were waiting for the executives to sign the paperwork, correct? So it took you a total of one month of actively applying for jobs before you were offered a job informally?

If that's the case, I'm not sure I understand your original post. Are you complaining about the length of time it took you to land a job?
Oh, I'm not complaining at all. In fact I feel pretty great. My original post wasn't a complaint either -- just a straightforward answer to the question posed by the title of the thread. At the time I wrote it I had been out of work three months. Even then I knew it was only a matter of days before I'd get a job. But I didn't want to say so just in case it didn't come through.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,585,314 times
Quote:

It's everywhere, the same. It is not going to get any better unless you speak up. People become complacent, have been complacent, so they let things drift. When everyone is replaced by foreign workers, they will take notice....

Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,583,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind View Post
Job market is actually pretty hot for techs in SV. Many positions go for a while unfilled.
Yeah because they can't pay people enough to afford the high cost of living. Otherwise there would be droves of us relocating there for the opportunity.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,583,544 times
Quote:

I work with a lot of H-1B holders, many are cocky, arrogant and feel they are entitled. During the 2007 immigrant rights march, one of my Colombian coworkers walked out of the office and said he is protesting and went home, did not get fired or reprimanded either and told our Boss the reasons why he was leaving. This same coworker, who always refers to Colombia "in my country" during talks of things here but states he makes more money here, also told me that when he came to this country that he had free health insurance and benefits in a demeaning tone. He also told me how much money he sends back to his family in Colombia.

Fact is many of the H-1B holders I know of are doing better financially then most of their American counterparts, sames goes for those that have their green card. It's even worse when you work for a company who has management who were not born in the US, I have experienced favoritism towards foreign nationals on projects and promotions. Just the way it is, there is no turning this train around it has to run it's course.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Amercians didn't lead the world in education, medicine, science, technology, and send people to the moon and then suddenly become stupid overnight. Did you see all the job postings on MyVisaJob? Those jobs should be offered to Americans.
I'm going to make a statement and I'm not saying it's wrong, right, the way it should or should not be... I'm just saying the way it is.

First of all, many foreign workers who are recruited to work here are gotten more cheaply than their American counterparts. American companies are in the business of making money. If they can get the same labor more cheaply, or build a factory in a third world country more cheaply, they will. The Americans who run these companies are responsible for making those decisions.

Second, when a job opens up in the U.S., preference is often given to a citizen or green card holder (not an H1-B Visa) because it's easier and many companies don't want to hassle with sponsoring people for those Visas. I've seen many job openings that clearly state "only citizens or residents" may apply.

Thirdly, American captilalism is not in the habit of "giving" a job to someone just because it would be a nice thing to do. That's the domain of Unions, isn't it.

In the job market for computers, which, as far as I know, is the only positive thing about the U.S. economy right now, there is no reason any skilled American should be out of work. If there is, it's because they choose not to be employed.

When you say those computer jobs should be "given to Americans" are you saying that unskilled Americans who don't know anything about computers should be given them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose