Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times

Advertisements

Marshalls, Ross and TJ Maxx specialize in discounted name-brand clothes, mostly close-outs and discontinued items. You have to root around through the stacks to find good stuff but that's half the fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 06:45 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
thanx.
I have found Ross and TJ Maxx, I was not impressed. There were very few mens clothes, only a small corner of the shop. They seem to focus on womens clothes. For example I have not seen Adidas Superstar shoes in any shop (also checked Westridge Mall), which is a basic item in sports shops in Europe. So what I wanted to buy I ordered all of them on Amazon. TJmaxx is like TKmaxx in the UK.
In a small SportsDirect shop in the UK there are 10x more (at least mens) stuff than in the huge Ross store I checked.

I have not checked the farmers markets yet, but I have seen it in a movie, it loked like the ones in Hungary where actual farmers (or people with a small fruit garden) sell their product. In the UK on small markets they sell supermarket fruits.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
thanx.
I have found Ross and TJ Maxx, I was not impressed. There were very few mens clothes, only a small corner of the shop. They seem to focus on womens clothes. For example I have not seen Adidas Superstar shoes in any shop (also checked Westridge Mall), which is a basic item in sports shops in Europe. So what I wanted to buy I ordered all of them on Amazon. TJmaxx is like TKmaxx in the UK.
In a small SportsDirect shop in the UK there are 10x more (at least mens) stuff than in the huge Ross store I checked.

I have not checked the farmers markets yet, but I have seen it in a movie, it loked like the ones in Hungary where actual farmers (or people with a small fruit garden) sell their product. In the UK on small markets they sell supermarket fruits.
Note: You're not in Europe. You're in the USA. If you insist on everything here be like everything in the UK, buy a one-way ticket across the pond.

We're pretty F'ing sick of people coming out here just to complain it's not just like where they came from.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Note: You're not in Europe. You're in the USA. If you insist on everything here be like everything in the UK, buy a one-way ticket across the pond.

We're pretty F'ing sick of people coming out here just to complain it's not just like where they came from.
-I Didnt just complain, more like making a comparison. I dont insist on most things to be like in the UK, they are better here, with a few exception like SportsDirect. I think the shop called Ross does not represent the United States, just like Amazon does not either (which is where i bought my stuff instead of Ross). Read my post again, I was complaining about the UK fruit market not the US one. If you want, I will buy you a one way ticket to siberia or somalia or wherever you want. note: I dont need your justification for my stay. Are you having fun twisting what people said on forums, so then you can insult them? If you are sick, go to a doctor.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 AM

53 posts, read 176,054 times
Buenos, I think bigdumbgod was just irritated by you comparing everything to the UK. Personally, I know it was getting on my nerves quite a bit and I'm from Europe myself. Please, don't take it personally but frankly, nobody really cares about how it was in the UK. I just think you would receive a more positive welcome if you were focusing more on the US and less on the UK.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:53 AM

105 posts, read 338,256 times
Quote:
thanx.
For example I have not seen Adidas Superstar shoes in any shop (also checked Westridge Mall), which is a basic item in sports shops in Europe.
You may check outlets in Gilroy, they got an Adidas store. And other stores too. I personally like Columbia Sportswear, but you have to go to Vacaville outlets.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
You may check outlets in Gilroy, they got an Adidas store. And other stores too. I personally like Columbia Sportswear, but you have to go to Vacaville outlets.
Good call - go to the outlet malls in Gilroy (you can't miss them, they're right off the highway) and you'll find lots of discounted merch.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:06 AM

I just looked it up, outlets in Gilroy. Once I have some time I will check them out. Probably they are the alternative to SportsDirect, not the Ross shop.
If someone moves here from another continent, normally they are trying to find local alternatives to already known services (hence the comparison with UK shops), rather than start learning life on earth from scratch again at an adult age. Since it is a globalized world, I am sure there are local alternatives to everything in every developed country, just it might not be oubvious how to find them. Forums like this can help in that.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I recently moved a few blocks from the Lunardi's at Meridian/Branham, so it's now my local market. Overpriced for some things but the produce is OK and the meat counter is excellent. Good beer selection too. Just tried Zanotto's for the first time last weekend (the one at Foxworthy/Cherry), very nice deli counter but didn't check prices for groceries - I'm assuming not especially cheap. Farmer's market at Meridian/Kooser on Sunday mornings isn't bad either.
I drive 5 miles to go to that Lunardi's on Branham. The only other grocery store I need is Smart & Final on Hillsdale.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
I just looked it up, outlets in Gilroy. Once I have some time I will check them out. Probably they are the alternative to SportsDirect, not the Ross shop.
If someone moves here from another continent, normally they are trying to find local alternatives to already known services (hence the comparison with UK shops), rather than start learning life on earth from scratch again at an adult age. Since it is a globalized world, I am sure there are local alternatives to everything in every developed country, just it might not be oubvious how to find them. Forums like this can help in that.
It is irritating that you seem to need all information hand fed to you. And then you complain if it isn't just like what you are used to or what YOU expect it to be.
You are not the only person who ever relocated from a different country. Get over it. Learn to adapt. Whining about it won't endear you to anyone, especially people on the board who tried to help you before.

You might be better off trying the Great Mall or Eastridge Mall if you did your clothes shopping at Sports Direct. Sport Authority (there might be a few around SJ) might be your closest thing to Sports Direct. Adidas isn't as popular as other brands in the U.S. that is why most stores don't stock that much. Different countries, different tastes ..how shocking in this age of globalization! FYI Gilroy outlets is a mall full of outlet stores, similar to Bicester Village. Do I need to translate that to british english for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose