Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 27,730 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently living on Atlanta, GA, I got a nice 1 Bethroom+Loft apartment in the heart of Buckhead, I like the city living, I am single so I go out often, I ride my Motorcycle around town every time I can (Avoiding traffic and highways as much as I can).

I am being offer a great Job at Cupertino and I need to start researching my living situation so I can evaluate how good the offer really is, I know the cost of living on Cupertino (and in CA in general) is a lot higher than ATL, GA but I want to have a better idea of what are we talking about.

Which places should I be looking for, that offer me somehow close experience that I have in Buckhead? 1 Bedroom apartment or condo (with a loft maybe?) would be great and I would like to stay bellow $1700, $1800 if at all possible.

any feedback is 100000% appreciated, I don't really know where to even start, San Francisco seen like a too long of a commute, I don't mind a 30min commute but anything close to 50m, 1h I rather not do.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM

264 posts, read 830,012 times
For a single guy, I would think downtown Mountain View would be a good option. I don't think you'll get the quality type of place you are looking for within your budget, but I think that downtown area would be a good fit for someone single. Downtown San Jose will be closer to your budget based on what you are looking for (loft style), but probably less desirable than Mountain View. If you can forgo the loft, you should be able to find plenty of mid-quality (not luxury) places to rent within your budget in downtown San Jose...may need to search around more in Mountain View though or lower your expectations. Someone else will probably suggest some other downtown areas in nearby towns...

Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
For a single guy, I would think downtown Mountain View would be a good option. I don't think you'll get the quality type of place you are looking for within your budget, but I think that downtown area would be a good fit for someone single. Downtown San Jose will be closer to your budget based on what you are looking for (loft style), but probably less desirable than Mountain View. If you can forgo the loft, you should be able to find plenty of mid-quality (not luxury) places to rent within your budget in downtown San Jose...may need to search around more in Mountain View though or lower your expectations. Someone else will probably suggest some other downtown areas in nearby towns...
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I will start looking at Mountain View, what would be a more appropriated budget? I say ~$1800 just because It seen like good starting point, but I could be totally off, this exercise would help me evaluate the Job Offer, so it is a good thing to know if that was an unrealistic budget.

I don't want to pay more that I need to just for some amenities that i may no use ever or for some "name" area, however I do want to keep my life style, having places to go, single night live and comfortable place to live.

Last edited by Maturola; 05-04-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,738,296 times
For singles night life, places that come to mind around here are downtown San Jose, downtown Mountain View, University Avenue in Palo Alto, and the downtown areas in the cities north along the Peninsula.

Realize that these "downtowns" are very small, especially by Atlanta standards. But, as they are the only places of entertainment, nightclubs and bars get packed with people, which actually makes it cool.

Here in Sunnyvale we pay $1850 for a nice two bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood. So your budget of $1800 for a one bedroom will be sufficient. Keep in mind that prices go higher as you go up the Peninsula towards San Francisco.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,808,045 times
I think all the posts here are good. I would add that you should definitely leave room in your budget for rent increases. They have really been jacking up the rents in this area. My landlord is among the more merciful ones because they hadn't raised my rent in 4 years, but I just hot hit with an 8% rent increase. A lot of people have been getting hit with that level of increase several years in a row.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,241,064 times
Honestly, I don't think there is really anything in the south bay that truly emulates Buckhead. When I visited Buckhead, I noticed a combination of large, stately homes to newer housing stock, including high-rise condos. There also were a lot more chain restaurants than you would find here in the south bay. Per the earlier poster, Mountain View has a bit of a feel of Buckhead, but it only has a few bars. Palo Alto would be even more like Buckhead, but I think your budget is going to be stretched in both cities, especially Palo Alto. If you go up the peninsula to San Mateo, it has even more of a Buckhead-like feel (probably the biggest downtown and most bars of any town between San Jose and San Francisco).

To be honest, the city in the Bay Area that I think is most like Buckhead would be Walnut Creek. Unfortunately, this would be well outside of a decent commute distance for you.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM

Thanks a lot, great feedback, it seen that my search should be focus on Mountain View and Palo Alto, and maybe stretch it up a bit up to San Mateo. It seem like that the apartments I like are on the $2300 range.

Last edited by Maturola; 05-06-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose