Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM

65 posts, read 86,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
have you looked on craigslist for shared driving? meaning sharing driving costs so you could bring more stuff? so you weren't planning to bring a car? i guess i'm now confused.
My car now has been breaking down a lot, and I don't think it would pass the emissions test.

My family seems to think it would be better to buy a car out there. So my mom will come out, to help with that.

Flying cost $250, and driving my car would cost $600 in gas. Then, I would need food for the 4 day drive, and a place to sleep 4 nights. So, it would add up fast.

My bigger problem is my semester ends and then a week later I start working. So that causes a bit of trouble, in terms of scouring the city for an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony052007 View Post
My car now has been breaking down a lot, and I don't think it would pass the emissions test.

My family seems to think it would be better to buy a car out there. So my mom will come out, to help with that.

Flying cost $250, and driving my car would cost $600 in gas. Then, I would need food for the 4 day drive, and a place to sleep 4 nights. So, it would add up fast.

My bigger problem is my semester ends and then a week later I start working. So that causes a bit of trouble, in terms of scouring the city for an apartment.
yikes, tight schedule! did you know which furnished studios i was talking about? i can hunt them down and post the links if you didn't already see them.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
We bought a used Honda two years ago at Anderson Honda in Palo Alto and it is one of the few, well only, place I would buy a car again. I was resistant to them at first as I thought they would be more expensive since they are located in Palo Alto but I found their prices fair and their service deptartment has been very good to work with for maintenance.

I really think you are getting just a bit ahead of yourself by wanting an apartment on that pay. You could keep your flexiblity if you share with a coworker or rent a room until you have been here for a while. There are lot of people needing to share expenses so you can be picky. Your girlfriend might want to wait a bit to see how things work out as at least one of you should be stable before both of you move. You are making some major transitions which can be really tough on a relationship without family support nearby and no friends in the area. Does your company have any assistance to help you find a place?

Some employers are now asking for biometric tests as they don't want to hire certain people with health issues. Take care of yourself.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:07 AM

11 posts, read 18,129 times
One of the utility deposits depended on credit. If good, no deposit. If bad, you either have to set up direct withdrawal or pay a deposit ($50?). That was for either gas or electric, but I don't recall which. California has PG&E, Pacific Gas & Electric. But in Santa Clara the electricity is managed by Silicon Valley Power. Your new landlord will give the details as necessary so they can unload responsibility for payment ASAP.

And sigh. Yeah, you're spot on with the long distance moving expenses. I guess besides what's been mentioned, just whatever you have to replace. And of course the inevitable restocking all of your food, cleaners, office supplies and toiletries from scratch.

Maybe the airline can carry extra items/boxes for a fee?

Quote:
We're an odd pair. I defended my dissertation then started work 10 days later. Walked out of my school and hopped in my car. It's a good problem to have, but it was rough.

Heidi60 = wisdom.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I really think you are getting just a bit ahead of yourself by wanting an apartment on that pay. You could keep your flexiblity if you share with a coworker or rent a room until you have been here for a while. There are lot of people needing to share expenses so you can be picky. Your girlfriend might want to wait a bit to see how things work out as at least one of you should be stable before both of you move. You are making some major transitions which can be really tough on a relationship without family support nearby and no friends in the area. Does your company have any assistance to help you find a place?
My company offered me more $$/hour. Tempted to ask for assistance again and see if I can get even more $$/hour. But, no they don't relocate anyone. Neither does the other companies we have interviewed for.

After my last two roommates, I will NEVER do that again. I have to have the roommate horror stories from Heck! I just want to be responsible for me, and her, and that's it.

I've been thinking of looking for sublets or studios, or maybe extended stay hotels.

Yeah, it can be hard on relationships. But, I think we should support each other and "grow up" together. Personally, I also like having the support from her (as I will have no one out there). Isn't that supposed to be what I get out of relationships other than sex and sandwiches ? jk

Old 06-03-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
And sigh. Yeah, you're spot on with the long distance moving expenses. I guess besides what's been mentioned, just whatever you have to replace. And of course the inevitable restocking all of your food, cleaners, office supplies and toiletries from scratch.
Yeah, that is no fun.

Quote:
Apparently, it's a 2 bag limit, and you can't pay extra to take more bags. That being said, if you can make a box weigh about 60-70, you can mail it for $1 a pound.

We're going home for X-mas break, so we can bring more stuff later. But, nothing like the sofa.

Quote:
We're an odd pair. I defended my dissertation then started work 10 days later. Walked out of my school and hopped in my car. It's a good problem to have, but it was rough.
Yeah, it's going to be an experience. I'm really glad I found you, and well, everybody! It's great to learn from other peoples experiences.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Some employers are now asking for biometric tests as they don't want to hire certain people with health issues. Take care of yourself.
wow, that is a new one since i've been gone. the worst of the valley getting worse.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:02 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
One of the utility deposits depended on credit. If good, no deposit. If bad, you either have to set up direct withdrawal or pay a deposit ($50?). That was for either gas or electric, but I don't recall which. California has PG&E, Pacific Gas & Electric. But in Santa Clara the electricity is managed by Silicon Valley Power. Your new landlord will give the details as necessary so they can unload responsibility for payment ASAP.

Heidi60 = wisdom.
LOL, I must share that one with my husband. He used to try to dominate, but has come understand that women really do think differently so now we work more as a team. I couldn't, nor would want to, do his job at work but we discuss issues and sometimes I see things because of my own work experience while his experience gives him a different perspective. In this valley, it does take two brains to make it but respect is the core value.

Employers today are supporting the insurance industry by refusing to hire people who are heavy or with other health problems. They claim they are keeping down insurance costs but our costs tripled last year so I don't see their logic. We don't participate in the "biometric screening" as it isn't mandatory, yet, for exisiting employees.

Don't make too much out of the moving issue as there is nothing you have in Ohio that you can't buy here. We have our share of farmer's markets and dollar stores so the stuff is just that, stuff. Five years from now when you are rich and have long since forgotten us, you can look back on the moving issue as pretty small compared to what problems you will solve in your career.

There was another post a few months ago from someone who had used one of the RV moving services to move across country. That might be something to look into as, if I recall, they just had to deliver the vehicle but could pack it full of their own stuff. Also check out other threads as I recall someone giving some good advice for negotiating with places like U-Haul.

I totally understand wanting your own appartment or studio but give yourself time to get to know your new employer. Many people in this area share housing. It got so bad that Santa Clara County had to regulate the number of persons in given space, but some will still pile in to save costs.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Employers today are supporting the insurance industry by refusing to hire people who are heavy or with other health problems. They claim they are keeping down insurance costs but our costs tripled last year so I don't see their logic. We don't participate in the "biometric screening" as it isn't mandatory, yet, for exisiting employees.
i would guess their only "logic" is screening out what they don't want. i remember interviewing three times for some jobs that hired me and they still didn't work out. a waste of time and energy all around.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 18,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony052007 View Post
Yeah, it can be hard on relationships. But, I think we should support each other and "grow up" together.
You two are the judge of what you can manage and have a great attitude. Still, I share Heidi's thoughts and concerns as you're facing more significant challenges than I had. (Feeling a mite more grateful now in retrospect. )

Anyhow, you understand. Godspeed.

Regarding extended stay places, we never found any that looked like a reasonable answer (hence Dad's camping idea). Short-term units are priced to keep them short-term. Occasionally people offer furnished in-law units for a fair rent, though. More rarely for short term, but an in-law unit may be a good fit for what you want long term. They pop up in local papers and CL.

For real estate, the burst definitely made an impact. But the two professional salaries comment is savvy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose