U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 11,738 times

Advertisements

Wow, I have read a lot of helpful advice on this forum. I just need to confirm everything I have read so far.

I will be moving to the bay area in 5 days! I am single and will be working in Sunnyvale. What has been confusing me are all of the different little areas. Plus, people say traffic in Sunnyvale is horrible. Is traffic so bad in that area that living 10 miles from work will take 45 minutes to get to the office?

I have pretty much limited myself to apartments in Sunnyvale because of this fear of crazy traffic. Plus a relative of mine told me to stay away from San Jose because of gangs.

Based on my salary, 76k, I am looking for something around $1,400 a month. What other areas around Sunnyvale are safe and fit that budget? I don't mind living in less space, it would just be nice to be in a place that has newer appliances.

Anyway, is 76k enough to enjoy my time in the bay area? I apologize if I'm including too much info...I just need to be sure!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 11:29 PM

2,951 posts, read 7,929,932 times
I grew up in Sunnyvale and its a great city. There really isn't a bad part of town, but I would look at the Fairwood/Lakewood areas for the cheaper rents. I prefer the area around el camino/fair oaks and there are some decent rentals there also. Its worth living where you work because commuting is a waste of time. If you can find something close to your job, it will be worth it!

Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,265,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan83 View Post
Wow, I have read a lot of helpful advice on this forum. I just need to confirm everything I have read so far.

I will be moving to the bay area in 5 days! I am single and will be working in Sunnyvale. What has been confusing me are all of the different little areas. Plus, people say traffic in Sunnyvale is horrible. Is traffic so bad in that area that living 10 miles from work will take 45 minutes to get to the office?

I have pretty much limited myself to apartments in Sunnyvale because of this fear of crazy traffic. Plus a relative of mine told me to stay away from San Jose because of gangs.

Based on my salary, 76k, I am looking for something around $1,400 a month. What other areas around Sunnyvale are safe and fit that budget? I don't mind living in less space, it would just be nice to be in a place that has newer appliances.

Anyway, is 76k enough to enjoy my time in the bay area? I apologize if I'm including too much info...I just need to be sure!
Sunnyvale and the neighboring cities have three dividing lines. There's 101 to Central Expressway. This tends to be on the lower end. Lower income, more crime, cheaper rents, There's Central Expressway to El Camino. This is a smaller strip, but better. Lower crime rate. Rent a little higher, but not much. Then there is El Camino to 280. The closer you get to 280, the more expensive it gets. Of course, the more expensive gets, the lower the crime. Keep this in mind when looking at Sunnyvale. This applies to Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara.

I think Sunnyvale is a very nice town. It can get a bit crowded but not the worst place I've seen.

Not all San Jose is bad, just the east side of it.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:13 AM

2,951 posts, read 7,929,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Sunnyvale and the neighboring cities have three dividing lines. There's 101 to Central Expressway. This tends to be on the lower end. Lower income, more crime, cheaper rents, There's Central Expressway to El Camino. This is a smaller strip, but better. Lower crime rate. Rent a little higher, but not much. Then there is El Camino to 280. The closer you get to 280, the more expensive it gets. Of course, the more expensive gets, the lower the crime. Keep this in mind when looking at Sunnyvale. This applies to Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara.

I think Sunnyvale is a very nice town. It can get a bit crowded but not the worst place I've seen.

Dont forget parts of the Southside by Andrew Hill HS, 7 Trees.. not the best area either.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 AM

4 posts, read 11,738 times
Thanks for the replies, they have really helped me narrow my search down. For whatever reason I was under the impression that the south side was the bad side.

The west side of San Jose has a lot of really nice apartments. I should have known better than to listen to only one person.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:42 AM

29,042 posts, read 46,860,511 times
Try Mountain View or Palo Alto, the latter being more affordable (generally speaking)... my sister lived in Mtn. View for a number of years, and really loved it there. As for the traffic, those towns would be an easy commute, and you could avoid the freeway by taking Middlefield & Central Expressway. Even if you go a few miles farther, like Santa Clara or Cupertino, it wouldn't take you 45 minutes - more like 15-20, I would guess.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM

5,716 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Dont forget parts of the Southside by Andrew Hill HS, 7 Trees.. not the best area either.
Both reputations are way overblown.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 PM

28,246 posts, read 30,822,438 times
San Jose is the safest large city in America. That said, the East side (and I would include the area around Andrew Hill H.S. as the East side, not the south side) is not as safe. However, I have lived on the East Side (Story/McLaughlin area) and never had a problem with crime. That said, the quality of life on the East side isn't that great (the people over there litter a lot, many are immigrants from the 3rd world who live 10 to a house, etc).

As far as Sunnyvale goes...it's kind of a nondescript town with lots of ticky tacky houses and apartment buildings...(although San Jose also has its share of that).but no truly unsafe areas. As another poster said, the south part of Sunnyvale (near 280) is generally nicer and more expensive than the north part (near 101).

West San Jose is generally a middle / upper middle class area and is close to Sunnyvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or