Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltapapa View Post
I've been In the market to buying a home for a few months now and I've looked all over California. This town Is by far one of the most reasonable for housing In the state. In short, I have found more sq/ft for the price. It may not work for most people but I'm going to give It a shot for myself and my wife.

I've just recently bought a 4/3 in Los Banos. The crime in my neighborhood is non-existent. It's really a nice town but it does have some small town weirdness.
For instance, the post office is only open 9-4 on weekdays which makes it impossible to go to since I commute to the Bay Area for work and am gone most of the day. Some places aren't open everyday which makes them hard to frequent. Kids are always outside playing ball after 10pm and it makes me wonder what their parents are doing.
There are many good things about the town. JC Penny's sales are awesome because really, who in town can afford $80 jeans. Food is cheaper and so are clothes in any store. It has almost every fast food restaurant you could think of and soon there will be a super Walmart. All in all, it's not that bad for me especially because I'm able to use the carpool lane in my daily travels. That is a big plus. I feel sorry for all those commuters stuck in San Jose as I whiz past them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM

58 posts, read 274,283 times
So then it's a nice town for someone who doesn't want to use the PO, eats fast food and commutes at least three hours every day.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherdestiny View Post
I've just recently bought a 4/3 in Los Banos. The crime in my neighborhood is non-existent. It's really a nice town but it does have some small town weirdness.
For instance, the post office is only open 9-4 on weekdays which makes it impossible to go to since I commute to the Bay Area for work and am gone most of the day. Some places aren't open everyday which makes them hard to frequent. Kids are always outside playing ball after 10pm and it makes me wonder what their parents are doing.
There are many good things about the town. JC Penny's sales are awesome because really, who in town can afford $80 jeans. Food is cheaper and so are clothes in any store. It has almost every fast food restaurant you could think of and soon there will be a super Walmart. All in all, it's not that bad for me especially because I'm able to use the carpool lane in my daily travels. That is a big plus. I feel sorry for all those commuters stuck in San Jose as I whiz past them.
Their parents are probably still working their retail jobs in Gilroy at 10 pm.

I had teachers, growing up, who lived in Los Banos and commuted to Morgan Hill over the Pacheco Pass to teach us. Even then, I had to wonder why in the world they would do that. It's not as hard to do it now that they've fixed the notorious 152/156 junction. But the fact remains, if I lived in Los Banos, I would effectively be putting $82 of my paycheck every day towards my commute (assuming a 50 cent per mile average). That's just not acceptable.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

I had teachers, growing up, who lived in Los Banos and commuted to Morgan Hill over the Pacheco Pass to teach us. Even then, I had to wonder why in the world they would do that. It's not as hard to do it now that they've fixed the notorious 152/156 junction. But the fact remains, if I lived in Los Banos, I would effectively be putting $82 of my paycheck every day towards my commute (assuming a 50 cent per mile average). That's just not acceptable.
It's still ridiculous to even contemplate such a commute (and to live in such a town).

However... Probably more like 10 cents a mile. Unless your car gets really bad mileage.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

The time and cost of commuting are just the beginning. What about replacing your vehicle more often? What about the stress involved in being 100% dependent on your car for that long commute? That means you're probably going to insist on a larger, more expensive car than you would if you lived closer to work. It also means you're going to replace it more frequently, not only because of wear and tear, but because you don't have the luxury of driving around an older car. If I lived in Los Banos, I would have replaced my 15 year old car already. Since I live a block away from my job, I can keep the car for several more years as long as the work and job location arrangement holds (which it may not...but at least I will have a job in town).

Then there's the obesity issue. People who drive long commutes are more prone to eating at those unhealthy fast food restaurants. This is not 100% inevitable, but it's likely. Being overweight/obese means higher health care costs down the road, not to mention the suffering involved with poor health. People who commute a lot also have less time to exercise and participate in community life.

Then you have the safety issue. The more miles you drive, the more likely you are to be involved in a crash.

All in all, I think these far flung bedroom communities are a horrible idea and the savings you get in buying the house are offset by the higher commute costs, likely higher health care costs, and general lack of ability to be there for your family & community.

Researchers have found that long commutes are one of the biggest things that take away from peoples' sense of well being.

If my only viable housing option was to live in Los Banos, I'd simply leave the area entirely.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
It's still ridiculous to even contemplate such a commute (and to live in such a town).

However... Probably more like 10 cents a mile. Unless your car gets really bad mileage.

People always forget that commuting costs more than just gas. You have more wear & tear on your car & tires. That means you have to replace your car more frequently. You'll pay more for insurance because of your long commute, too. And then there's the hidden cost of wanting a bigger, more comfortable, more expensive, car becuase you'll practically be living in it.

You're also much more vulnerable to spikes in the price of gas. It's $3 gallon now and it could easily go to $4 again in the near future.

All the cheap oil has been drilled. Expect $3 a gallon to be the floor for gas prices gonig forward, not a temporary price spike.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherdestiny View Post
It has almost every fast food restaurant you could think of and soon there will be a super Walmart.
But...if I get off the freeway and want something a little better than McShyte, what shall I get? Got good burritos (preferably chili verde)?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Why should I live in Los Banos,

No vive en el bano, vive en las salas. or, Ya don't live in the bath room, ya live in the living rooms.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

ya live in the living rooms.
People sleeping in the living room usually are dregs who don't want to pay rent or do their dishes.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,199 times
Just out of curiosity...are 80% of people's replys those who haven't lived in Los Banos. Seems really oppionated. My Mother and I are looking to move out there cause for what you rent out there you get a home something ive never had before here you get a dump for around the bay and im talking near 2 grand in rent. For that I can live with a 1.5 hr commute one way. Hell I ride a motorcycle so i can use the fast lane and my mom has a farly new car. The country side is amazing in my opinion. I'm not much one for night life so it maybe slow there but thats fine by me. People mentioned wear and tear on vehical thats true but its going to happen anyway just means it'll be sooner with more miles a day. IDK I just like the long posts that go in to detail because i get a better picture of it. Most of this thread seems like people spouting off opinions but im not sure they have ever lived there or if so why they hate it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose