Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM

93 posts, read 239,885 times

Advertisements

I moved from San Jose to Albq back in 2007. Part of the reason I left was the high cost of rent/living. Since I've lived here in Albq Ive saved up some money and have considered moving back to San Jose. I been looking at rental prices and wow! Very expensive stuff. There's a huge part of me that understands why people are willing to pay the high costs, one of the reasons being the insanely could and oppressive winters most of the United States suffers from. It's a living hell being trapped indoors during the winter because its simply to dam cold to go outside. You people may be wondering why I'm complaining about winter and it's "Mid-June", Because winter time here in Albq is a living hell and impossible to forget about. So anyway, I was just wondering what people on here think about the cost of living in San Jose and if the Quality of life is worth the cost, as far as the mild San Jose winters are concerned I would say yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Fro starters, the median household income around here is ~ $80,000.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM

93 posts, read 239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Fro starters, the median household income around here is ~ $80,000.
Exactly,

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM

264 posts, read 831,312 times
I think it depends on your income and what your goals for the future are...meaning, what kind of lifestyle do you want? Is it necessary for you to purchase a certain kind of house in a specific area? Are material things important to you? We have friends who have left the area because they did want to purchase a nice house and "get ahead" having extra savings (nothing wrong with that). To be honest, they really aren't saving more now than when they moved. Their lifestyle is about the same. I think most people tend to spend the same way they did where they had lived previous to moving...having cheaper housing is nice, but you may be giving up a lot of things you enjoyed about where you lived previously if cheaper housing is one of the main reasons you are moving someplace new.

If buying a house isn't a perplexing and nagging thought in back of your head, moving back may be a great idea. But for a lot of people, owning a home is ingrained as being a necessity at almost any cost.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplr View Post
I moved from San Jose to Albq back in 2007. Part of the reason I left was the high cost of rent/living. Since I've lived here in Albq Ive saved up some money and have considered moving back to San Jose. I been looking at rental prices and wow! Very expensive stuff. There's a huge part of me that understands why people are willing to pay the high costs, one of the reasons being the insanely could and oppressive winters most of the United States suffers from. It's a living hell being trapped indoors during the winter because its simply to dam cold to go outside. You people may be wondering why I'm complaining about winter and it's "Mid-June", Because winter time here in Albq is a living hell and impossible to forget about. So anyway, I was just wondering what people on here think about the cost of living in San Jose and if the Quality of life is worth the cost, as far as the mild San Jose winters are concerned I would say yes.
In terms of career opportunities for me I think it's worth it, the weather is just a fringe benefit for me, seeing I'll be coming from Miami to San Jose, the weather is nicer in San Jose and so is the landscape, will miss the beach though and the whole Coconut Rum Shack vibe.

I'm originally from the Northeast, spent time in the Dirty South for a few years and down to Miami for a number of years and now looking to San Jose.

If you want to experience nice winters you need to spend a few of them in the Northeast and try to commute to work and back, real joy. Especially in some of the most highly densely populated portions, pure driving enjoyment. Sometimes you get lucky and old man winter is lazy, pretty to look at, but no joy to shovel or to drive in.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
The housing market here is chronically under-supplied, as is the case in most coastal CA metro areas. That's because:

1. The area is mostly built up.
2. Tax disincentives discourage cities from building new housing because the revenue from real estate taxes doesn't cover the cost of services for new residents.
3. NIMBYs who fight tooth and nail against any and all new development, often using the excuse of being pro-environment.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The housing market here is chronically under-supplied, as is the case in most coastal CA metro areas. That's because:

2. Tax disincentives discourage cities from building new housing because the revenue from real estate taxes doesn't cover the cost of services for new residents.
3. NIMBYs who fight tooth and nail against any and all new development, often using the excuse of being pro-environment.

Plus tech money is still flowing pretty freely, artificially boosting the amount of disposable income people have to spend on things like rent.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,861,555 times
It is not uncommon to find, say, a 3 bedroom apartment with 3+ engineers renting it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,236 times
"So high" because that's what the market will bear. Duh.

"Quality of life worth it?" is a misconceived question. People don't live in SJ so much for the QOL as becuase it's cheaper than Palo Alto/Menlo Park/Los Altos Hills/Los Gatos but it's still close enough to their tech jobs.

Re: northeastern winters- I'm a native of SJ, have lived here all my life and I don't need to live in the ne to know we have what I call perfect winters. The people in the snow belt taunt us by saying they we don't have "true" seasons and I hope they keep doing so if that helps them to rationalize living in their hell which I hope they stay in rather than coming to CA as we already have far too many people from the ne here in CA.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:57 AM

765 posts, read 2,440,260 times
Quote:
This is the best answer. Bottom line is geography. San Jose is in a Valley, and there is simply a limited supply of land for expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose