Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 200,938 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking at a position next to HP HQ in Palo Alto.
We have 3 kids so we would need a nice,safe school district with elementary, Middle and High School...We are not looking for the best of the best ultra competitive school...
Price up to 1 M. Best to be able to build our dream home (but might just be a dream...)
I am Ok to commute for about 1 Hour, not that I like to but I have to be realistic...
I have looked at Scotts Valley for its good school, "green feeling" and close to the ocean.
Livermore South (next to Highway 84), Pleasanton (next to Highway 84 or south Pleasanton. Both cities looks nice and have this Wine country feel that we like (but not very green...)
Any recommendations, advices, hidden gen small town etc.... would be very useful so that I can spend a couple days looking around during my next trip...

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Pecosbill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecosbill View Post
Hi,

I am looking at a position next to HP HQ in Palo Alto.
We have 3 kids so we would need a nice,safe school district with elementary, Middle and High School...We are not looking for the best of the best ultra competitive school...
Price up to 1 M. Best to be able to build our dream home (but might just be a dream...)
I am Ok to commute for about 1 Hour, not that I like to but I have to be realistic...
I have looked at Scotts Valley for its good school, "green feeling" and close to the ocean.
Livermore South (next to Highway 84), Pleasanton (next to Highway 84 or south Pleasanton. Both cities looks nice and have this Wine country feel that we like (but not very green...)
Any recommendations, advices, hidden gen small town etc.... would be very useful so that I can spend a couple days looking around during my next trip...

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Pecosbill
i think you have a lot of awesome options in your range. but i'd throw out pleasanton and livermore myself. longer than an hour commute and as you say, it's brown there! are you planning to rent first?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,218 times
Agree. Pleasonton and Livermore look like desert in the summer. If OP's budget is 1M. Really no need to look so far to the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i think you have a lot of awesome options in your range. but i'd throw out pleasanton and livermore myself. longer than an hour commute and as you say, it's brown there! are you planning to rent first?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM

I think Pleasanton, Livermore might be too far out and maybe too hot during the summer. What town/school district could you recommend. The silicon valley area looks way out of our budget and East and south of San Jose have a few areas with not so good school district of "security" issues.
Any area along side the west side of the Silicon valley might be good but again looks very expensive...
What do you think of Scotts Valley ? How is the drive on 17 ? looks a nice but winding road...
I would be commuting from Seattle for a few months before buying in Spring next year if job works out.
Pecosbill

Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I think Pleasanton, Livermore might be too far out and maybe too hot during the summer. What town/school district could you recommend. The silicon valley area looks way out of our budget and East and south of San Jose have a few areas with not so good school district of "security" issues.
Any area along side the west side of the Silicon valley might be good but again looks very expensive...
What do you think of Scotts Valley ? How is the drive on 17 ? looks a nice but winding road...
I would be commuting from Seattle for a few months before buying in Spring next year if job works out.
Pecosbill
plesanton and livermore are very hot. and i think scotts valley isn't a bad commute. the people living in santa cruz have it the worst. you might also be able to live in half moon bay. it also depends on what your requirements for housing are. 17 is a very windy road. but scotts valley isn't that far up.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM

mountain view listings:

Mountain View Real Estate & Mountain View Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

sunnyvale listings:

Sunnyvale Real Estate & Sunnyvale Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the links I have looked this up as well before and even if you can find a few under 1 M with 3 Kids... a 4 bedroom house size will be under 2000 sqft, we are currently at 3400 ft in east Seattle so will be a big drop in size... may not be ready for this yet, will see...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links I have looked this up as well before and even if you can find a few under 1 M with 3 Kids... a 4 bedroom house size will be under 2000 sqft, we are currently at 3400 ft in east Seattle so will be a big drop in size... may not be ready for this yet, will see...
yes, it will be a huge drop in size. back in the early 90's, i had a boss that bought a brand new $1 million dollar home in palo alto. it was beautiful. two stories. but i think those days are gone.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,789,447 times
I'd choose Los Gatos ! I've seen quite a few homes recently sell in the one million range. It is very doable to buy a resale home in that range, but not to buy land and build.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
My daughter lives in the SV area and I have lived in both Portland and Seattle. You won't need as large a house in the SV as you do in Seattle because it doesn't rain as much, the kids don't spend as much time in-doors. My daughter's first home was in Sunnyvale, west of Mary Street. The house as a 70s split level and the grandchildren spent a lot of time in the park (pre-schoolers). Were I you I would look for a house easy walking distance from a park or school play area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose