U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 PM

9,390 posts, read 12,274,415 times

Advertisements

Visit first. Visit first. Visit first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 03:06 PM

24 posts, read 93,376 times
I've lived in Santa Cruz for many years, and I think this discussion brings up a lot of good points about the area, good and bad. I STRONGLY agree that anyone considering moving here VISIT first. Even better, visit several cities and towns before deciding where to settle. California has many beautiful and friendly places to live, and many of them are more affordable, more/less liberal, more/less urban, etc. Some places I would recommend visiting would be: the Bay Area (especially Berkeley/Oakland), San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles, western Sonoma county, Nevada City/Grass Valley, Arcata/Eureka...I could go on.

My first thought when reading the initial message in this thread was that it would be very difficult for a couple of young people to get set up in Santa Cruz, unless they had a trust fund or some very speciallized job skills to work with. I appreciate what some posters had to say about how anyone can make it here with perseverence--I think that is true. But I also think it is hard, especially when you are young and just starting out, to conceive just how hard you will have to work to maintain any kind of a reasonable lifestyle here. We are relocating next summer, not because we can't make a living here--we can, and have for years--but mainly because I can't take the soul-killing commute to and from the nearest facility where I can work, and the long hours I have to put in. I love Santa Cruz, and it has been good to me, but I don't have time to enjoy most of the things I moved here for.

We live in the boonies, north of Santa Cruz, and considered moving into town, but the real estate prices are, no exaggeration, straight out of science fiction. The lovely duplex we are buying in Brattleboro, Vermont, for $250,000 would easily be $900,000 here.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:01 AM

7,572 posts, read 5,203,272 times
Well I certainly know less than most everyone here. I just visited this afternoon on a gorgeous Dec afternoon 60 degrees and sunny. I walked through the downtown section and explored some of the neighborhoods with the old victorian homes. I was surprised on the atmosphere of downtown-maybe it was because of the holidays. Downtown used to be going downhill, but looks to be revitalized with something for everyone as far as stores, dining, lots of coffee shops. I saw yuppies, hippies, families, students and everyone seemed to be having a nice time. Seems a lot of friends were running into each other here.
Years ago I used to go to the beach and boardwalk but saw it's demise as some rather questionable people started hanging out there. Then I started going to capitola beach.
As I explored I drove through neighborhoods both good and not so good.
I will say this, if you have any inkling that you might want to live there, listen to what people say, but visit for yourself.
Today my idea of Santa cruz has been renewed and I plan on going back and hanging out more. Other people have better ideas on life there, but the area was very interesting and worth exploring. I live in a upper middle class to affluent area and think I'm a bit sensitive to seedy areas. While santa Cruz may have them. I would not rule out living there.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM

718 posts, read 2,538,407 times
im from pleasanton and went to school at santa cruz. it has some seedy areas as you saw first hand. Capitola would be a much safer more sensible enviornment for you, i can relate i come from the same area. If you do choose santa cruz id suggst checking out the areas along west cliff and the streets right off of it.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 58,189 times
Default Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
After the Loma Prieta earthquake, Santa Cruz just went to the dumps. Growing up in San Jose as kids, we use to go to Santa Cruz a lot and hang out at the boardwalk. I remember there use to be an event called "Beach Street", it was a classic car event that was really fun. Seems like now, there are a lot of Hispanic gangs that spread from Watsonville and Salinas areas. Last time I was there was 3 years ago, so it was really not the same Santa Cruz I knew in the 80s when it made a name for itself as a real beach town.
I consider the town going downhill as soon as the university came in. With that brought growth, druggies, panhandlers and all the other things that ruined a nice town. Same exact thing happened in Santa Barbara. The hispanic gangs have not helped, eithor.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 AM

463 posts, read 548,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnkid View Post
I consider the town going downhill as soon as the university came in. With that brought growth, druggies, panhandlers and all the other things that ruined a nice town. Same exact thing happened in Santa Barbara. The hispanic gangs have not helped, eithor.
UCSB and UCSC might as well be on opposite sides of the planet. Same goes for the cities. As far as all the things you've listed... if anything didn't help Santa Cruz, it was the 1960's.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,392,635 times
Wow, so many negative responses about Santa Cruz! So many of you have such bad things to say about it – you must all live in spectacularly beautiful and absolutely wonderful cities/towns!!! Where do you all live? I'd love to visit your towns, too, because I thought it was really pretty out here, and had a lot going for it, but I know I have not been to every town in the U.S., so I know I'm missing out.

For those of you looking at Santa Cruz, just ignore what I say because I've only been here since 1996, and I don't live in those other great places.

Which cities/towns do most of you recommend – like the ones you live in? Some post where they live and some don't, but I'd love to hear more about your wonderful towns and what they are like, because they sound as if they must be terrific!! Thanks!

Last edited by Wisteria; 12-17-2007 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 29,180 times
I have lived and traveled to a lot of places inside and outside the US and obviously there are positive and negative aspects to every location, no place is perfect, although if there is a perfect place, please let me know because I have never been there. Obviously Santa Cruz isn't for everyone, neither is NYC but some people would not live anywhere else. So of course visit and visit again, if you feel Santa Cruz is for you, can afford it, move there.

Last edited by mminor; 12-23-2007 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM

463 posts, read 548,772 times
Capitola is so much nicer and they actually have real resteraunts

Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 58,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow, so many negative responses about Santa Cruz! So many of you have such bad things to say about it – you must all live in spectacularly beautiful and absolutely wonderful cities/towns!!! Where do you all live? I'd love to visit your towns, too, because I thought it was really pretty out here, and had a lot going for it, but I know I have not been to every town in the U.S., so I know I'm missing out.

For those of you looking at Santa Cruz, just ignore what I say because I've only been here since 1996, and I don't live in those other great places.

Which cities/towns do most of you recommend – like the ones you live in? Some post where they live and some don't, but I'd love to hear more about your wonderful towns and what they are like, because they sound as if they must be terrific!! Thanks!
I live in Scotts Valley and find this town much nicer than Santa Cruz. Low crime, mostly friendly people. To me that is a nice town. It all depends on what annoys you, I'm not saying noone should live here, I'm just saying what I think about it and some others would agree with me. If you went to school with these kids like I do, I think you would want to move out as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or