Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,681,126 times

Advertisements

SOOOOOO many mis informed statements about santa cruz i do not know where to begin. I may not be a "local" but i got a degree from UCSC so i think i know a wee bit about the town.

First and foremost santa cruz is waaay expensive. If you want to live somewhere decent expect to shell out the bucks. The cost of living in SC is second only to Sf as far as norcal goes. 3 things cause this in my opionion. 1The high median home values (over 700,000$) force many would be to rent.2 there is no rent control in santa cruz 3. the student population (primarily affluent) is a never ending source of renters. studios in santa cruz can range from 600 to over a thousand dollars. the smartest thing to do would be look in the summer in mid to late june when all the students leases typically end.

and yes santa cruz does have seedy area's. i know because one year i lived DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET from the boardwalk. In which time i witnessed a woman deficate and whipe her self on the side walk, people smoking meth, lunitics arguing with themselves and their immaginary at sunrise, mexicans selling drugs on the corner. This area is known as the beach flats and consists primarily of mexican migrant low wage workers, students looking for cheap rent, section 8ers, and various random people. Compared to the rest of the city this area has higher crime rate. Homeless people often line the street along the boardwalk all the time.

West side santa cruz and anything near the university and downtown is generally nice. East side santa cruz is alot more run down, alot more mexi/white trashy.

Santa cruz locals sometimes have issues as well. First of they have a stupid east side west side beef that started from surfing, but the local yokals took it off the water and to the streets. Than you have the locals that like to start fights with UCSC students. Most of these locals would never fight a real "thug" and tend to pick on college students who are the intellectual types. It stems from the fact that most locals know college students are destined for better things.

who ever said santa cruz is like berkeley is nuts. first off berkeley on a whole is alot more diverse and alot more tolerant as a community. berkeley is welcoming to outsiders. the only thing the two cities have in common is that berkeley is liberal and has a college and so does santa cruz.

santa cruz politics is very bizzarre. Its a mix of redneck oregon like yokals, combined with university officials turned politicians, and hippies. I actually had the unfortunate task of attending a city council meeting where locals would complain about the most pointless issues. Santa cruz is deep rooted with anti outsider anti growth policies. Hell right now the safeway grocery store on mission wants to expand and theyre making a big huss fuss about that. Santa Cruz believes they can fight population by simply not accomidating for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,770,869 times
Quote:
skatealoneskatetogether: SOOOOOO many mis informed statements about santa cruz i do not know where to begin. I may not be a "local" but i got a degree from UCSC so i think i know a wee bit about the town.
You are correct in the things you say -- however, they've been stated earlier. I think the perspective people need to have....about any place they are interested in relocating to...is that they first of all want to be in that place, secondly, that they have researched it, third, that they actually visit it for awhile to get a feel for it, and last, that since there are many people already in a place, if one really wants to be there, it can be done.

As in any town, there are "good" places, "bad" places and "best" places. It is unrealistic to think of anyplace as perfect. Beach Flats, that you pointed out, is, ironically, a very low-income area that does have more crime there than in many places in town (mostly at night). I have always been amazed that within walking distance to the beach, that there is an area like that -- of course, it is right beneath the amusement park, and I would guess that is part of it, although it still doesn't make sense to me since once can walk to the beach from there. I figure that eventually those houses will be sold and it will become another millionaire's club area.

I am not a student at UCSC, so I can't comment on what student life is like there -- but, apparently, thousands of students love it.

And, like most California towns, it is more expensive than other places in the country. But...it can be done.

I raised my daughter here on very little income, own a home now (granted, not a mansion by any means, but I do own it), and we have enjoyed the environment and lifestyle here.

I work with people who commute FROM San Jose everyday to work in Santa Cruz. That Hwy. 17 traffic mess is from people not obeying traffic laws. It is a mountain road and should be driven as a mountain road, not a super highway. The speeders and tailgaters and those who just don't care cause the accidents. The road was designed through a mountain....it is not going to be a straight-away. If people drove the designated speed limits, we'd have good traffic flow and no (or at least highly reduced) accidents. I am always stunned at the amount of people who speed on that road -- I think many people figure it's like a race track ... which it's not...thus, all the accidents.

Any reasonable person who is considering relocating will realize that there are pros and cons to everything. The problem I find on this board is that it is often not a balanced approach. Your comment about the homeless lining up outside the boardwalk gives an image of a long soup line of homeless people -- yes, as in any city there are homeless, but if you look beyond the several around the beach, you'll see the young people playing beach volleyball, families with children playing in the ocean, people enjoying a good meal at a restaurant on the beach with the waves lapping nearby.

It's obvious when people don't like a place and then trash it. I think we'd all benefit more from a balanced viewpoint -- although I don't think it's likely to happen here.

As I often recommend, going to the place in person will give a person a better sense of whether or not the place is for them. Sometimes you can just go into a place for a few hours and feel like you want to get out of there fast; other times, you go and you feel like you're already at home. It's an individualized thing.

I guess in terms of Santa Cruz, it's better to just list what one wants, find out if what you want is here, and see where you can compromise. It's sort of like finding a mate -- nothing's perfect.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 58,424 times
I will second much of what Wisteria has said here, with the caveat that, yes there are "many people already in a place" here, but there are even more people who come and go. SC is a VERY transient town (not even counting the students), in part because of the cost of living/wages ratio. Many families left town a few years ago and some lower grade schools had to be merged. Teachers and admin. workers lost their jobs because so many families who made a middle income left.

I will also add that there are some comments here from people who have not made SC their home (in the current climate) for a long period--coming here for vacation or going to college for a few years gives you a different perspective than a long term resident: daily commuting, daily interactions with people and the government, etc. (Beach Flats is probably the worst neighborhood in the county--this is not a good example to use as it is not the norm. Most neighborhoods are quite nice, and the East Side is very comfortable to many non-trashy people.)

This opinion comes from my partner, who has lived here 45 years, and my over 20 years of making SC my home. We are planning to leave because of many reasons stated in these postings, but I think the bashing of SC is extreme.

Yes, if you plan and budget, you can make it here. But that is also contingent on what you do for a living and if there is a market for your line of work and what type of property, if any, you want to purchase. Research this well.

Don't just come out for a few days and drive West Cliff. Spend a couple of weeks here (or anywhere you want to move) multiple times if possible, and drive or ride your bike to the grocery store during the commute times. Check out the housing, spend time in restaurants and coffee shops--listen to conversations and meet locals.

Watsonville, in south county--about 15 minutes from SC if traffic is clear, is very family oriented, rents and mortgages are often lower, they have giant Sunset Beach, and it's a shorter drive to Carmel. There is more tolerance on the road and customer service is friendlier over all--it still feels like a small town, except for one box store area. I also see more people walking in Watsonville than SC--a sign that people feel safe?

Santa Cruz has more action: higher quality music performances, more beaches, etc, and is also very white. (Yes, I'm white, too, but I like more diversity than SC has to offer). A friend who has traveled to Mexico tells me she feels like she's south of the border at the Watsonville farmer's market.

SC also seems to have low tolerance for divergent views. There is a lot of anger on the roads. Drivers cut people off and flip people off. People want it to be "what it used to be"--a hippie town with leftist politics (yes, I'm a progressive). What they don't realize is that before the university came, this was a redneck place. It, as does every town, changes and transforms. We don't like change, and that is exactly what SC is doing: changing. Again. It will only get more crowded and more expensive (more than most cities, as we are a bedroom community for Silicon Valley). Know that before you make any decisions.

I hope some of this helps and is new information for you and not just a repeat of the rest...

Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,763,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
So Santa Cruz is Berkley by the sea? I had a friend that lived in Aptos and liked it. That city is close enough to Santa Cruz and I hear its much nicer when it comes to the neighborhoods? I could be wrong.. but usually nicer comes with a higher price too.
As far as I know Aptos is a bit more upscale than Santa Cruz. From what I've seen of it, it is nicer, but it's not nearly nice enough to justify the high cost of living there. That's doubly true if you have to commute to Silicon Valley for work.

There are a lot of similarities between Santa Cruz & Berkeley. They both sort of espouse the hippie philosophy in a lot of ways.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 AM

5 posts, read 30,873 times
Default also thinking of relocating to Santa Cruz

We are also thinking of relocating to Santa Cruz. Our daughter goes to school at UCSC, and has now become a resident. We have been out there many times and have found the people there very friendly. The beaches in town and the beaches north are exceptionally beautiful. You do see your fill of homeless people walking around, but I think unfortunately you see that everywhere. Downtown Santa Cruz has some really great restaurants, stores, and has character due to the street performers. I am originally from the Miami area and downtown reminds me of what Coconut Grove used to be like. My question as far as relocating there is schools. My daughter will be going into 11th grade next year (believe it or not she has no problem relocating to CA, she loves it) she plays soccer so hopefully that will be an in. I have looked at different areas of SC and think I have narrowed it down to the Upper West side or Scotts Valley area, any suggestions? I want a school that my daughter is welcomed into, and isn't full of "MTV Laguna Beach" attitudes, and is good academically.We also considered looking south, Dana Point area to be exact, but I think it may be too conservative there.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,763,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbard11 View Post
It's nice to hear of an east coaster who is thriving in the area in and around Santa Cruz. As a Mainer who plans to move to the area via New Mexico, I feel encouraged but really do wonder about the housing situiation. I will be a renter for a while once there so I am hoping for that "deal" that would make of affordable for me and my daughter. I would actually prefer the outskirts to the town proper.
Any thoughts?
Unless your household income is 100K+ (or you have at least 100K or more for a down payment) you will likely be a lifelong renter in Santa Cruz. Are you comfortable with that?

And believe me 100K for a down payment and a 100K income are definitely "bare minimum" numbers.

I don't know your daugher's age, but if she is school age, I don't think Santa Cruz is known for it's great schools...but I could be wrong about that.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM

There are plenty of better options than santa cruz for raising a family. Unless you want to buy a home in an over priced, white trashy markert than go ahead. Most locals cant even afford to live there themselves and rent their homes to college students just so they can make their mortgage payments.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 30,873 times
Granted I have never lived in Santa Cruz, but since my daughter has been going to school out there, our family has visited frequently. Every time we go out we spend a week there driving around to different areas in and out of Santa Cruz. An 1 1/2 from San Francisco, close to Monterey, Big Sur, wineries, great shopping at Santana Row, close to the airport, can't beat the location. Every visit we walk up and down W. Cliff and every time we have found people hanging out engaging in friendly conversation. My husband surfs and has never found any kind of "local attitude" although I do know it can exist, mostly when someone goes out surfing at Steamer Lane and shouldn't be there. My daughter does admit there is some local attitude and that as a student she is considered a slug or a trannie (since she has now become a resident) Being from Miami, I can understand the attitude, I was one of the few people actually born there and did feel a certain "pride" because of it. From what I understand 80% of the residents in Santa Cruz are "trannies" so I guess 20% have the "local attitude". I was at Longs shopping, didn't have coupons, and the cashier took the time to find coupons for me in the flyer, I apologized to those behind me and they were friendly and patient (I know where I live people would have been rolling their eyes) I can think of many other incidents where I have experienced very friendly people in Santa Cruz. I have seen the seedy areas too, also maybe gang members, but only around the boardwalk area and Ocean, like most places, you just know and avoid those areas. My daughter rents a house on the Upper Westside with 4 friends(yes it is extremely expensive) the neighborhood is made up of students renting and families and they all seem to get along no problem. My daughter loves UCSC, she felt at home from the first time she visited. At the time,a so called "local" recommended that she check out UCSC and even showed her around, she felt a welcoming attitude there than any other college she checked out. All and All I see more positive aspects to SC than negative.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM

I graduated from Ucsc last year and i can assure you once you live there youre pretty picture of beach side santa cruz will be tarnished. Unless you have wax in your ears and eyes or are stoned like 90% of the trashy locals. Tell me how much you love santa cruz when it takes you 30 minutes to go 2 miles accross town. And just because you know what its like to be a local does not make you a SANTA CRUZ LOCAL. Unless your birth certificate says dominican hospital you might as well be from the moon. And locals tend to treat female college students better, as they are trying to get in their pants(doesn't matter if the local is a man or a woman "anything goes" in santa cruz). I was at ucsc for 5 years, Ive seen it all. A good place to be young or retired or go to college or go to surf/skate, not a good place to raise a family especially if you have strong and decent conservative values.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 PM

i found a heroine needle twice at the chevron on mission by the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose