Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:28 AM

30,338 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Mountain View is far inferior to DTSJ in terms of "hipness." It has things happening, but the scene is basically Los Gatos Lite.
You could be right... honestly I have no idea, since I haven't done much "partying" in San Jose. I went to SJSU, but it was for graduate school, and I was living in EPA at the time. My sister used to live in Mtn. View, and I always thought it was a nice town - I especially love the new-age/unique shops & restaurants on Castro. That's more of my scene than bars and clubs, since I'm not a drinker or dancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You could be right... honestly I have no idea, since I haven't done much "partying" in San Jose. I went to SJSU, but it was for graduate school, and I was living in EPA at the time. My sister used to live in Mtn. View, and I always thought it was a nice town - I especially love the new-age/unique shops & restaurants on Castro. That's more of my scene than bars and clubs, since I'm not a drinker or dancer.
I like the place, too, as its essential to variety (allegedly the spice of life). I just find it a bit small. On its own, DTSJ is one of the more complete neighborhoods in the Bay Area, it's just not a suitable city center because SJ is so damn big and detached.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 161,595 times
Thumbs up San José

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriya View Post
Ok, so I'm considering a move across the country to take a job in San Jose. I'd never been in the area before, and didn't have a chance to spend much time there during my interview. But, from what I could gather, it was a beautiful area, but it seemed overdeveloped (lots of office parks, cookie cutter shopping centers, etc).

I'm young and single and want to live somewhere engaging and fun. Naturally, I ruled out SF because of the distance, but it turns out my workplace would be right in front of a Lightrail stop (work would be right by the airport). How doable would taking Caltrain from San Francisco, then hopping on the Lightrail to get to work be?

Then again, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way - maybe someone can talk me into SJ or a local area? Did I just not get to see enough of the area to form a decent opinion?

Thoughts are appreciated!
Ok. I advise you that you live in San José because it is Safer than San Fransisco, Cleaner, Greener, Bigger in Population and Size, and I'ts the 3rd biggest city in California and the 10th biggest in the United States. It is the capital of Silicon Valley and it has one of the highest pay rates in the world.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbender View Post
Ok. I advise you that you live in San José because it is Safer than San Fransisco, Cleaner, Greener, Bigger in Population and Size, and I'ts the 3rd biggest city in California and the 10th biggest in the United States. It is the capital of Silicon Valley and it has one of the highest pay rates in the world.
Those don't really affect the quality of life...

Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,580,646 times
Highest pay rates and highest cost of living.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,540 times
I'm also looking at moving to San Jose and looking for a hip area that has restaurants and clubs... When I was there I stayed in the downtown area and was mortified to find out that the bars closed at 1 am... and that we couldn't get pizza delivered past midnight. Does anyone know if this is the case all around San Jose? From this thread Mountain View sounds like it's got the best to offer although I'll be working in south San Jose.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchamb View Post
I'm also looking at moving to San Jose and looking for a hip area that has restaurants and clubs... When I was there I stayed in the downtown area and was mortified to find out that the bars closed at 1 am... and that we couldn't get pizza delivered past midnight. Does anyone know if this is the case all around San Jose? From this thread Mountain View sounds like it's got the best to offer although I'll be working in south San Jose.
Bars across California have to close early (2AM not 1). It's a state thing. About the pizza, try more places. I've heard of dozens of late night establishments, but most aren't pizza.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
San Jose is on the westcoast, and the westcoast is very different from the eastcoast. Even San Francisco is much different from a place like New York City. It is a cultural difference.

If someone is looking to duplicate most of the amenities or culture of the northeast, in particular, in California, it will be very difficult to do. They are night and day.

Having lived on both coasts, and having to acclimate myself to the west, I know how difficult it can be. However, now that I have been out west for quite awhile, I can appreciate it even more than the northeast.

Yes, things do close down earlier here. It is not the loud, boisterous crowds that you get back east. People are "polite" here. You may even find that the "niceness" in the west is almost offensive and phony, but it really is how people are here.

When I first moved out west, I remember going to the grocery store and the clerk chit-chatting with me. The clerk asked me about the pineapple I was buying, what was I going to make, etc. I was like, "Just give me my groceries, and shut up!" Now....I actually exchange recipes at the checkout line, and when someone asks me what I'm buying something for, I talk about it, I don't rush and push, and I just relax through it. That's just a tiny example. It is like that all over here.

I suggest that if you want to duplicate a very fast-moving, late-night atmosphere out here, that you may want to re-think your decision to move west. The west is geared more toward outdoor activities, night life does close down early (but people also seem to rise earlier), and it is a slower pace.

Try to appreciate the differences, and you may grow to love it here, too!

Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,929 times
Bull**** I Aint No Nice Kid!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:43 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
You are right. Most of San Jose & Silicon Valley are very "cookie cutter" in nature. I would NOT recommend commuting from San Francisco unless you don't mind the 1+ hour commute (one way) on the trains. But even if you think you don't mind, that long commute gets to be more of a drag over time.

San Jose's downtown area may one day be hip (they are putting up a lot of high rise condos). But as another poster said the closest thing we have to "hip" in the South Bay is Mountain View (near Castro Street) or Palo Alto. Both of these cities are more expensive to live in than San Jose. They have the advantage of being closer to San Francisco, so you can go there to do fun things on the weekends. San Jose is rather dull for a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose