U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,857 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm considering a move across the country to take a job in San Jose. I'd never been in the area before, and didn't have a chance to spend much time there during my interview. But, from what I could gather, it was a beautiful area, but it seemed overdeveloped (lots of office parks, cookie cutter shopping centers, etc).

I'm young and single and want to live somewhere engaging and fun. Naturally, I ruled out SF because of the distance, but it turns out my workplace would be right in front of a Lightrail stop (work would be right by the airport). How doable would taking Caltrain from San Francisco, then hopping on the Lightrail to get to work be?

Then again, maybe I'm going about this the wrong way - maybe someone can talk me into SJ or a local area? Did I just not get to see enough of the area to form a decent opinion?

Thoughts are appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 AM

14,323 posts, read 20,261,026 times
I think it would be very time-consuming for you to commute from SF. The majority of your time would be spent commuting and working. If you're single and planning on enjoying the area, I would think you'd rather minimize the commute part. This is why I vote living near your job in SJ. There is plenty to do here and the entire bay area is your playground. Nothing wrong with having SJ as your base. Instead of living where the office park is (which I'm assuming is what the area around your job looks like), consider SJ downtown area or Mountain View. If you want to take the rail, you don't have to live all the way up in SF. How about cities in between? Palo Alto (pricey) for instance.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,029,321 times
Live nearer to the older core of San Jose (downtown and surrounding neighborhoods). It's neither spread out with office parks nor polluted with cookie cutter homes.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:09 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,585,880 times
It's possible to commute between SF and San Jose but it's very time consuming and a monthly Caltrain pass would be about $100. caltrain.com - home It's about 50 miles between the two cities. For all the hassle, it might be worth living with cookie cutter tract homes. But check out downtown San Jose and or around Santana Row Santana Row

Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,996,404 times
I have a friend that drives from San Jose to SF for work. He commutes 1.5 hours each way. I would imagine it would take longer by train.

I would recommend Mountain View. Near the downtown (Castro Street) area. Young, hip, vibrant area.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM

35 posts, read 100,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I have a friend that drives from San Jose to SF for work. He commutes 1.5 hours each way. I would imagine it would take longer by train.

I would recommend Mountain View. Near the downtown (Castro Street) area. Young, hip, vibrant area.
Mountain View....You guys in the Bay Area really don't know what a hip place should be like.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:47 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,389,960 times
If you stay in San Jose, what about around San Jose State University? You'd be downtown, nearer to night life and have the activities of the university there.

I live in Santa Cruz and lots of people here work in San Jose. The cost of living is about the same, but Santa Cruz is a university town on the beach, with tons of things to do. I'd highly advise looking at Santa Cruz because it IS a young, hip, happening town!!

Otherwise, maybe Los Gatos.....

I live in the Lompico area of Felton (a small town above Santa Cruz), and there is another town nearby, Scotts Valley, that is right on Hwy. 17 (the route to San Jose), so many commuters live there -- it's only a few minutes to Santa Cruz from Scotts Valley. Our neighborhood link will give you an idea of what is around here -- it's an ideal area to live, enjoy Santa Cruz, the mountains, and still work in San Jose. Lompico, California - Santa Cruz & Silicon Valley Rural Living - Live Among the Coastal Redwoods, Loch Lomond Lake and Lompico Creek

I certainly wouldn't do San Francisco, though. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,996,404 times
Unfortunately, this is the one of the hippest area's in San Jose. SJ isn't known for it's "hip" neighborhoods.

I consider hip to be Boston's Back Bay. Denver's Highlands/Berkeley areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post

Old 10-08-2007, 01:40 AM

29,042 posts, read 46,843,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpippo View Post
Mountain View....You guys in the Bay Area really don't know what a hip place should be like.
Yes we do... unfortunately, as Luke said, that's as hip as Silicon Valley gets. They weren't asking about the "hippest" place in the world, the OP was wondering about this area specifically - and Mountain View does happen to be a fairly cool town.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,029,321 times
Mountain View is far inferior to DTSJ in terms of "hipness." It has things happening, but the scene is basically Los Gatos Lite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or