Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 33,413 times

Advertisements

This is my first post. I'll try and be direct and concise and cross fingers for help.

Family composition: Dad, Mom, kids 8 & 6
Job location: Cupertino
Salary: 150k
Commute: 30 min. or less (currently its 70min. and cannot take it anymore)
Looking to: Rent (single home o cluster homes)
Monthly rent: $3500-4,800
Must haves: top public district, family oriented neighborhood, SAFETY.
Ideally: to have REALLY close by a JCC, YMCA or nice gym. A target or similar. Top notch pediatricians. A newer house.

We are from latin america and have lived 2 years in Houston and 8 years in CT commuting for job to NYC. We were looking to relocate to west coast, ideally OR or WA but nothing came out. We were trying to getaway from the up-tightness from CT, materialism and how expensive it is. Go figure the only thing we could find is in Silicon Valley. But it looks like this is it. We are very relaxed and laid back and love the outdoors.

We have looked at Saratoga, Los Gatos, Foster City and Cupertino itself. We want you boring suburbian family life. Safe, quiet, lot's of kids and parks.

We really really appreciate any help and anyone needs info on south CT I'll be glad to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongaponga View Post

We have looked at Saratoga, Los Gatos, Foster City and Cupertino itself. We want you boring suburbian family life. Safe, quiet, lot's of kids and parks.

Those are all fine areas ...
What exactly is your question?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Good point jaypee, sorry, I'm just overwhelmed. Is there one city you would recommend that we would be more likely to rent a "newer" house, good school, short commute but the ambience would not be of up-tight meanie Moms?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
I suggest also looking at San Carlos. I would avoid Foster City to to due the liquefaction risk.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Anything in the Cupertino or Los Altos school districts would be appropriate. Add Mountain View and some parts of Sunnyvale to your list.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM

264 posts, read 831,426 times
My picks would be #1 Saratoga and #2 Los Gatos ...for their beauty and great schools. IMO, Saratoga comes across as a more down-to-earth, less stuffy-uppity place to live than Los Gatos. My husband and I were able to live in Saratoga, about a block from the village area, for a short while--such a peaceful and beautiful area!

I should add, newer homes will be harder/impossible to come by in both Los Gatos and Saratoga in your price range, but I prefer the remodeled older homes myself (larger lots, mature trees, etc).

Last edited by StandingRoomOnly; 08-15-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Good point jaypee, sorry, I'm just overwhelmed. Is there one city you would recommend that we would be more likely to rent a "newer" house, good school, short commute but the ambience would not be of up-tight meanie Moms?
I'd start with Cupertino and then broaden out from there to the other cities mentioned and include Mountainview and Los Altos as well.
They all fit your criteria.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Thank you everyone! Really helpful. If there are any stay-at-home Moms out there we would specially appreciate your input and experience.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
$150K after the rental budget you posted equals a very low net wage for a family with kids anywhere in the Valley little alone if your paying that in Fairfield County which is equally as expensive on the housing. If your only planning a temporary visit, it's probably okay but if you want to be off of the Ramen noodle budget and settle in the Valley and save money for possible home ownership, you will need to make more coin or perpetual rent which is rising astronomically, nearly 12% increase in the past year.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 AM

20 posts, read 60,933 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone! Really helpful. If there are any stay-at-home Moms out there we would specially appreciate your input and experience.
Well, stay at home mom here and gotta say love almaden. I have lived all over bay area and fortunately for me this is the only place I lived with an abudance of stay at home moms. Love it here.

We don't rent but our friends up the street live in a nice updated 4 bedroom house and pay $3200. It also includes access to the cabana club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose