Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to the USA in mid Nov'12 with my family (wife & 2yr old daughter). I will be working mostly in Redwood city and San Jose. I am looking for an apartment with the following criteria.

1). An apartment/city that is close to Indian glossary outlets and many restaurants.
2). Any list of preferred apartments that I can take a look. (Apartments having W/D in the units), budget is around 2k USD.
3). Any other tips that can help me find a good living place.

Thanks in advance
Praveen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
Madras Groceries - Sunnyvale, CA

i've been gone awhile but the area was not lacking in indian restaurants and communities when i left. santa clara, sunnyvale, fremont, berkeley. haven't seen apartments with the washer/dryer in the unit (except townhouses). check craigslist for housing and maybe call an indian restaurant for better tips.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:30 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Fremont, Santa Clara and Sunnyvale have pretty substantial Indian communities and restaurants.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 AM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
Sunnyvale seems to have a large Indian Population. And I also saw many families in Cupertino, though it's predominantly Asian.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Sunnyvale has a large Indian population. In fact, you should check out Olive Garden Apartments. Very large Indian population there, to the point that non-Indians were excluded

Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,067 times
Sunnyvale would be your best option. Fremont commute would be more of a hassle. Good luck finding an apartment with in-unit washer and dryer..for less than 2500

Old 09-27-2012, 02:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
In your price range you'll usually find apartments with shared laundry facilities that take coins, especially in Sunnyvale and Mountain View.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenpd View Post
Hi,

I am relocating to the USA in mid Nov'12 with my family (wife & 2yr old daughter). I will be working mostly in Redwood city and San Jose. I am looking for an apartment with the following criteria.

1). An apartment/city that is close to Indian glossary outlets and many restaurants.
2). Any list of preferred apartments that I can take a look. (Apartments having W/D in the units), budget is around 2k USD.
3). Any other tips that can help me find a good living place.

Thanks in advance
Praveen
Paveen I live in Sunnyvale and the question is where you cannot find Indian neighborhoods and grocers and restaurants. Pretty much all over in this area. You might have some difficulty with the W/D in unit though, most places don't have it.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 12,272 times
Many Thanks to everyone for the response. Yes, I agree that Sunnyvale would be a good option. I would probably work 4 days in redwood shores, hence would have liked some plance to stay in Palo Alto and/or Mountain View. In any case I would appreciate if you could name some apartments that I should checkout (most ratings on yelp and/or apartmentsratings.com are not recent). Please let me know any perticular apartments I need to check.

Thanks in advance
Praveen

Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM

21 posts, read 37,814 times
Praveen,
I'm not an expert on the local Indian culture hubs, but as an indication there is a specialty supermarket in my area called Namaste Plaza located in Belmont, which is adjacent to Redwood Shores. It is supposedly the biggest Indian grocery chain in California, with locations in Sunnyvale and San Jose.
I wouldn't underestimate the value of living close to work, especially when you have a child. And the Belmont-Redwood Shores school district has some of the highest rates schools according to greatschools.org.
Best of luck,
Karina
resettleus.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose