Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 1,982 times

Advertisements

My fiancé just started his job in Los Gatos- we moved here last week from Palm Springs. We are in a temporary rental (a room in someone's apartment) until we are able to secure an appropriate long term living situation. The big issues are these- I don't have a job yet, so we can only afford to pay a max of $1750 a month for a one bedroom (inclusive of utilities), and I have a liscensed service dog (6lb Morkie- Maltese/Yorkie mix).

I am a multiple Cornea Transplant Patient, who has rejected in the past, and Gracie helps me keep my stress level down. She senses my stress and sits at my feet when it gets too high. In this way I am able to monitor it and moderate it. When people see me, they don't see a blind person (although I used to be), and so, it is more difficult to explain my service dog.

Also, it is imperative that we have a washer/dryer, or at least a hookup (further considerations are a dishwasher, and AC- we run really hot).

All of the appropriate rentals I am finding on Craigslist, Trulia, HotPads, PadMapper and even AirBnB, in our price range, and in a safe area, specifically prohibit dogs. I do realize that management companies cannot discriminate against my dog, but since we need a yard, it is unlikely that we will find a rental that is managed by a large company. Most of the places with yards are small duplexes, etc., and I don't want to create a big problem with a private owner who has specifically stated that dogs are unwelcome. Gracie is a barker when home alone, and I can just envision neighbors complaining and landlords evicting.

Please, any help, advice, avenues of exploration, or even suggestions as to specific landlords or towns, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM

264 posts, read 831,374 times
I think you will have a very hard time finding a detached house in your price range near any downtown area (that is remotely safe), although you may want to look into the Los Gatos Mountains or further down highway 17 in Scotts Valley. You may want to look to someplace a little "rougher"--meaning, without the manicured gardens/lawns/etc...I think landlords are more excepting of big dogs in the mountain areas or a bit further out of town. --This doesn't mean it needs to be off the grid or in the boonies...just 10-15 minutes further "up the hill" or freeway or closer to Santa Cruz. There is probably slim pickings on craigslist, so you may want to contact a local realtor(s) to point you in the right direction to find a rental that is dog-friendly or something specifically in the Los Gatos Mountains if you decide that is a good fit for you.

Option in Los Gatos Mountains (although really small): 2 Bdrm House for Rent in Mountain Community
Here is an option if commuting over the mountain (from scotts valley) is something you wouldn't mind: NEW SUN DRENCHED HOME-ALL UTILITIES INC.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 1,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
I think you will have a very hard time finding a detached house in your price range near any downtown area (that is remotely safe), although you may want to look into the Los Gatos Mountains or further down highway 17 in Scotts Valley. You may want to look to someplace a little "rougher"--meaning, without the manicured gardens/lawns/etc...I think landlords are more excepting of big dogs in the mountain areas or a bit further out of town. --This doesn't mean it needs to be off the grid or in the boonies...just 10-15 minutes further "up the hill" or freeway or closer to Santa Cruz. There is probably slim pickings on craigslist, so you may want to contact a local realtor(s) to point you in the right direction to find a rental that is dog-friendly or something specifically in the Los Gatos Mountains if you decide that is a good fit for you.

Option in Los Gatos Mountains (although really small): 2 Bdrm House for Rent in Mountain Community
Here is an option if commuting over the mountain (from scotts valley) is something you wouldn't mind: NEW SUN DRENCHED HOME-ALL UTILITIES INC.
Thanks for that info. I've seen one of those posts, and just emailed the other! We are totally open to moving further south. Any reasonable commute is acceptable as long as the rental is worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose