U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 AM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,209 posts, read 6,452,859 times

Advertisements

I'm considering dumping my TBTF bank and going with a CU or smaller community bank in the South Bay. It would be great if I could have free checking/bill pay and not have to worry about being too limited by access to ATMs .While I currently have all these things with my BIG bank, it would be nice to support a smaller bank and hopefully not have to worry about hackers attacking the little guys.

I'm considering Patelco, but I'm open to suggestions, especially if any of the banks have 'specials' going on to entice new business . Any 'happy' , non-TBTFers out there ????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,519,746 times
I've been a member of Meriwest Credit Union for many years (since the time they were originally Pacific IBM Credit Union) and have had very few complaints. I've always had competent and friendly service. My checking is free and the online bill pay is about the best I've ever used. Branch location is decent in the South Bay, but since I've moved to Newark, my closest branch office is in Milpitas which isn't totally convenient for me most of the time. There is an ATM coop network though where you can locate ATM machines at random locations on their website that don't charge fees and allow for free deposits/withdrawals. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM

30,146 posts, read 33,375,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I'm considering dumping my TBTF bank and going with a CU or smaller community bank in the South Bay. It would be great if I could have free checking/bill pay and not have to worry about being too limited by access to ATMs .While I currently have all these things with my BIG bank, it would be nice to support a smaller bank and hopefully not have to worry about hackers attacking the little guys.

I'm considering Patelco, but I'm open to suggestions, especially if any of the banks have 'specials' going on to entice new business . Any 'happy' , non-TBTFers out there ????
I use the Golden1 Credit Union as my primary bank account and I love it. I don't know if you can be a member there, though, if you're not a state worker, or a former state worker.

In any case, I definitely urge you to leave your TBTF bank. I was urging people to do that long before the financial crisis in 2008, but I don't think anyone listened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose