Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 10,118 times

Advertisements

Myself and my boyfriend want to move to Santa Cruz, but really don't know what it would be like to live there. We have both been many times, but only for short periods of time. What are the majority of people like? Is the town or surrounding towns health conscious? Is the weather hot, warm, or cold most the year round? What do people do there for fun? Is Cabrillo College any good? I would just love any insight into how it would be living in Santa Cruz. Thank you soooo much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,317,871 times
Well, first of all, Santa Cruz is on the Monterey Bay so you may want to ask a moderator to move this to the Monterey forum. I think you'll get a lot more knowledgeable responses there. I've never lived there either although I've visited quite a few times. I have to wonder why you're set are on moving there when you have no idea of how all living there would be. I think you have a lot of research and ahead of you. Best of luck.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,229,157 times
Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. It's beautiful, but I don't really like the people there very much- they can be pretty snobby and weird. For NorCal beach cities, I'd much rather live in SLO, but if I really wanted to have the whole "California beach experience" it's much better down in SoCal- mostly because of warmer weather and water.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:24 PM

203 posts, read 427,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, first of all, Santa Cruz is on the Monterey Bay so you may want to ask a moderator to move this to the Monterey forum. I think you'll get a lot more knowledgeable responses there. I've never lived there either although I've visited quite a few times. I have to wonder why you're set are on moving there when you have no idea of how all living there would be. I think you have a lot of research and ahead of you. Best of luck.
Lol...my thoughts exactly.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,030,842 times
The main issue is whether you can get a good job or not there. Rent is expensive and there aren't many employers there, and they often don't pay you much more than $10 an hour. Partly it's because a lot of retired techies move there, driving up the cost of buying a home, and there's a ton of UC college students who take up a lot of the rental housing, driving up renting costs.

Once you get past that, honestly I don't find it all that interesting of a place. It has a lot of the bad aspects of suburbia--you have to either drive everywhere or be very limited in where you can go, there's very few places for good live music, few good bars, few good restaurants. And it has some bad aspects of big cities--annoying homeless people, junkies, and runaway street kids. And the UC students dominate EVERYTHING in Santa Cruz proper, they are everywhere and everything caters to them, but it doesn't really feel like a cool laid-back college town like Athens GA or Gainesville FL or others. There's probably more low-budget dining options than in most cities its size due to the college kids, but it's nothing like you'd see somewhere like downtown Berkeley, and none of the student-oriented cheap eats in Santa Cruz are all that good, again unlike Berkeley where you can get really great cheap food due to all the college kids.

It's surrounded by really nice big green mountains and hills but you need a good car to get out there. The city itself just looks kind of weird and not particularly charming, like a weird offspring of San Jose and LA and Monterey.

Anyway it's a nice place to visit but I think to live there you'd really need a good job that lets you live comfortably, like at the UC, and/or have a lot of friends, because it's the kind of place you can be lonely--college kids are very transient and there's not many other people there under the age of 50 or so.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,772,951 times
The big factors would be how much you can afford, and whether you would need to commute over the hill to work. We'll assume you already knew it's the NorCal edition of Surf City USA.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,206,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. It's beautiful, but I don't really like the people there very much- they can be pretty snobby and weird. For NorCal beach cities, I'd much rather live in SLO, but if I really wanted to have the whole "California beach experience" it's much better down in SoCal- mostly because of warmer weather and water.
True, the weather is warmer down in SoCal, but only by a few degrees, as Santa Cruz is by far NorCal's warmest coastal climate. If you compare, say, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz on Wikipedia, you'll note these high temps:

SC / SB

Jan 60.6/64.5
Apr 67.5/69.2
Jul 73.4/75.1
Sep 74.5/75.2

Avg 68.03/70.12

I'm not sure it's worth moving hundred of miles for an average of two degrees...

Water temps are better in SoCal, but they're still cold. Get me a swimming pool anytime!

I'm sure the OP enjoys SC for various reasons (beachy vibe as well as personal reasons like proximity to jobs and family) that makes it more practical to stay local than move willy-nilly from a B+ weather location to an A- one.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

43 posts, read 121,923 times
I've lived in Santa Cruz County all my life, until very recent move to San Jose. Santa Cruz is an offbeat, funky town with the slogan "Keep Santa Cruz weird." So that gives you an idea. It is not nearly as fast-paced or yuppified as San Jose and surrounding areas. It's quiet and laid back - kind of that Hawaii vibe. I'm not sure how they afford it, but if you go downtown during a weekday there will be plenty of people around -- students, unemployed, a few retirees I guess.
My daughter graduated from Cabrillo College and went on to UCSC with ease so I guess it is good.
The majority of people place an emphasis on "new age" thinking; what you might call a bit of a throwback to the sixties with the hippie thing; surfer mentality; interest in organic foods; "green" ideas such as biking to work; progressive politics and the like.
The weather is very mild year-round, with some areas experiencing a lot of fog and cool temperatures most of the time. Traffic is influenced by the presence of tourists during warm weather.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,772,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieanna View Post
I'm not sure how they afford it, but if you go downtown during a weekday there will be plenty of people around -- students, unemployed, a few retirees I guess.
In other words, people who don't work. For all it's attributes, it is a small, fairly isolated town, with few jobs available. Then again, it's kind of nice to be in a place that isn't so focused on the daily grind (like, many points north).

Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM

493 posts, read 778,949 times
unless youre from dt sf, hollywood, or new york city, theres going to be alot more pretentiousness and attitude than youre use to.

lots of drugs, and lots of effects from all the drugs: dopeheads, homeless, gangs.

incredible natural beauty when you can get away from the effects of humans.

most ppl who are looking for the "myth" of santa cruz should look into towns on the north coast like point arena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose