Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM

22 posts, read 112,399 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about a Jan or Feb trip to the Santa Cruz area in a camper. I can read the data, but it's not the same as being there. We love to hike--will it be too cool and rainy for hiking? What about bike riding? And the crime/drug rate concerns me--are tourists safe? And we can't decide whether Santa Cruz, Felton, or Watsonville would be the best place for camping (in a RV park.) Appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

493 posts, read 780,996 times
three of the past 4 winters, january-feb would have been a better time to visity than march

sunny every day, highs in the upper 60s to low 80s. and thats not unique to the past few years either.

if youre driving your camper here, do yourself a favor avoid HWY 17 or heckler pass, go in thru castroville instead.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,032,340 times
It might pour, and it might be in the 70s. I've seen both in the past 30 years or so.

Santa Cruz RV Parks

Also : http://traveltips.usatoday.com/rv-ca...ruz-52534.html

Old 11-21-2012, 01:21 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,696,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu12345 View Post
We are thinking about a Jan or Feb trip to the Santa Cruz area in a camper. I can read the data, but it's not the same as being there. We love to hike--will it be too cool and rainy for hiking? What about bike riding? And the crime/drug rate concerns me--are tourists safe? And we can't decide whether Santa Cruz, Felton, or Watsonville would be the best place for camping (in a RV park.) Appreciate any input.
It will probably be raining - sometimes for days at a time with daytime temps in the mid 50's. I stayed at REDIRECT near Felton once and it was nice. However the surrounding hills and the tall redwood trees blocked out a lot of the sun and it felt cold and a little gloomy. Less than a mile away is Henry Cowell Redwood State Park which has lots of hiking and some biking. Henry Cowell Redwoods SP. It's better in the summer!

If you're snowbirds, why not visit southern Cal or Aizona. I sometimes visit Laughlin, NV Laughlin, Nevada | Laughlin Hotels, Events and Things to Do or Quartzsite, AZ The Quartzsite Shows :: Home or Lake Havasu in the winter. It's warmer there!!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies. Sounds like it may be nice, it may not. We'll probably just hope for a warm spell.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM

17,619 posts, read 22,573,987 times
Howdy TruBlu

I'm not sure anymore, we moved away over five lustrum ago. We have some wonderful memories when we stayed at Pinto Lake with our ol motorhome. At that time thar was some good fishin, nice friendly folks, quiet, peaceful, beautiful there. I have no idea if it's still nice. It's real close to the hospital in Watsonville.
We lived in the Monterey area many years.

Pinto Lake Park: RV campground, quiet lake camping near the Monterey Bay / Santa Cruz

Have a Wonderful Adventure.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks, Pinto Lake sounds like a great campground.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,749,914 times
You might consider McAlpine Lake. I was just there a couple days ago for the first time. Went there for a morning of fishing. It's a pretty nice RV/camper park and looks like it's well-run and maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose