Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 AM

77 posts, read 202,449 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering jobs at packard children's hospital. We will be well paid and are considering areas to live. We have two school-age kids, so excellent public schools are an absolute must.

We, like everyone else, want a short commute (~15-20 minutes at most by car during rush hour). We'd either consider city-type living (walk to shops, etc) or a more bucolic setting with some more space.

Any other areas to consider besides palo alto itself? Portola valley seems very nice.

Let's leave cost aside for the moment. I know how expensive the area is.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,009 times
If price isn't a concern, find your school for your kids first, and then decide where to live. How old are your kids?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM

264 posts, read 831,475 times
Do you want close neighbors or do you not mind having neighbors very spread apart (that you just may not see often)? I think it's best to get specifics from those who actually live or lived in those cities, but I can say, anywhere west of 280 you will have the large unique beautiful homes set in the hills with large lots and views (not as close to your neighbor), and east of 280 and near Stanford you can find some very quaint beautiful tree lined streets with older completely remodeled full-of-character homes. In these neighborhoods, you may have a better chance getting to know your neighbors and to actually be able to comfortably walk around the neighborhood. Public schools are going to be excellent in all of these areas as far as I'm concerned, so it is a matter of deciding what kind of neighborhood you want to live in. Driving around to get a feel for these areas (Los Altos/Los Altos Hills, Portola Valley, Woodside, Palo Alto) should be a must on your list.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Perhaps consider adding Mountain View as an option. Doesn't have the prestige or price tag of the other mentioned towns, but it can be just as livable, and you could spend the extra money on savings, private school (Based on your budget, Mountain View schools may not be good enough) or other expenses. Menlo Park & Atherton is also worth considering, though the latter town is even more expensive then Palo Alto.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
If price isn't a concern, find your school for your kids first, and then decide where to live. How old are your kids?
6 and 3 years old

Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Perhaps consider adding Mountain View as an option. Doesn't have the prestige or price tag of the other mentioned towns, but it can be just as livable, and you could spend the extra money on savings, private school (Based on your budget, Mountain View schools may not be good enough) or other expenses. Menlo Park & Atherton is also worth considering, though the latter town is even more expensive then Palo Alto.
Mountain View can be a good option, and depending on where you live, the public schools will vary. Generally speaking, the neighborhoods south and west of El Camino Real have the higher performing schools based on demographics (read higher income) and the housing is priced accordingly (zip code 94040. for example, bordering Los Altos).

Elementary Schools that are very good - Springer (in the Los Altos Elementary School District), Frank Huff, and Benjamin Bubb.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 AM

492 posts, read 638,274 times
Los Altos is a easy commute (down Foothill Expressway) to Lucille Packard and has great schools. I raised my children in a Los Altos neighborhood where you could walk to school (all the way through high school), the library, parks, and the quaint downtown. There were weeks we didn't take the car out at all.

Menlo Park would also be a short commute and has really good schools.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Los Altos is a easy commute (down Foothill Expressway) to Lucille Packard and has great schools. I raised my children in a Los Altos neighborhood where you could walk to school (all the way through high school), the library, parks, and the quaint downtown. There were weeks we didn't take the car out at all.

Menlo Park would also be a short commute and has really good schools.
sounds awesome

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

so it seems we should consider these?

1. palo alto
2. los altos
3. los altos hills
4. mountain view
5. menlo park
6. woodside
7. portola valley
8. atherton

are there others?
seems like 6 & 7 have the most "country" feel and the others are all suburban in character?

Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingRoomOnly View Post
Do you want close neighbors or do you not mind having neighbors very spread apart (that you just may not see often)? I think it's best to get specifics from those who actually live or lived in those cities, but I can say, anywhere west of 280 you will have the large unique beautiful homes set in the hills with large lots and views (not as close to your neighbor), and east of 280 and near Stanford you can find some very quaint beautiful tree lined streets with older completely remodeled full-of-character homes. In these neighborhoods, you may have a better chance getting to know your neighbors and to actually be able to comfortably walk around the neighborhood. Public schools are going to be excellent in all of these areas as far as I'm concerned, so it is a matter of deciding what kind of neighborhood you want to live in. Driving around to get a feel for these areas (Los Altos/Los Altos Hills, Portola Valley, Woodside, Palo Alto) should be a must on your list.
great info. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose