Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,691,003 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? I'll try to give you some Canadian equivalents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,195,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I think the commute from Mountain View to Fremont is overstated here. I commute from Mountain View to Milpitas (almost San Jose) and in the morning, its not bad at all. I'll admit its pretty bad from about 5-7pm, but if you can leave early and log on from home in the evenings or stay in the office later, you'll be fine. On the occasions when I need to leave around 5:30-6pm, it'll take me 30-45 minutes to come home, depending on traffic. That's not great, but not horrendous either.

I do disagree on the value of MV/PA vs Fremont. Are MV/PA as vibrant and exciting as the city? No, of course not. However, I think they're infinitely better than Fremont. It is nice to have downtown areas with a little urban vibe, as a middle ground to the city. Fremont is just bland and boring in my opinion. I guess downtown SJ is fine, but I think the crowd tends to be a little ghetto for my taste. If you really want the urban vibe, I'd go for the bad commute from SF.
I think Fremont does have one huge positive though over MV - a BART station. CalTrain weekend schedules make it near useless for going downtown - you end up driving to the Milbrae BART and parking. Which is fine as long as you have over an hour to get downtown and plan to come home completely sober. Assuming you live close to the BART in Fremont (I don't know if it is in a good area of Fremont?) that means an easy way to get to both Oakland and San Francisco on weekends and evenings without having to drive.

I live in MV. I like downtown MV. But I don't think it justifies the much higher cost vs. Fremont and the commute. Put another way, if OP lives in MV, he'll still want to go to SF a lot - in which case living in Fremont, saving money and time, and BARTing to the city may make sense.

One question for OP: You say work is not that close to the BART. Are you certain they don't run a shuttle or something? Because if you could use BART Oakland might be a decent choice.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
(I don't know if it is in a good area of Fremont?)
Does there exist a 'bad' part of Fremont? Seems to have neither conspicuous highs nor lows throughout the town.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM

23,401 posts, read 23,819,817 times
The area close to Fremont BART is fine. There is a lot of housing density in the area (some nice apartments and high end townhomes), but it is safe.

I would say that the less desirable side of Fremont is the side bordering Union City (northeast side). I don't believe that it is dangerous, but there seems to be a high level of transient activity and some graffiti on walls can be seen at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Does there exist a 'bad' part of Fremont? Seems to have neither conspicuous highs nor lows throughout the town.

Last edited by ccm123; 02-27-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 30,511 times
I concur with others here mentioning getting a place in Fremont and taking advantage of BART. No, you won't have the convenient access to a vibrant downtown on a daily basis, but your work schedule will likely prevent that for the most part, so utilize BART on the weekends and head up to the city, or for a change of pace drive down 880 to San Jose or cross the bridge to the peninsula and hit Palo Alto or Mountain View.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:55 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,854,499 times
I'm not trying to be a dick, but what's the point of this question being in a San Jose forum when all people do is ask for living tips in Fremont? This question should be in SF-Oakland forum, because Fremont is generally considered East Bay, which, as you know, is represented by the entire city of Oakland (or so Mayor Quan likes to think).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose