U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 23,296 times

Advertisements

well i live in campbell , near san jose , comfy and nice place. rent i pay - 1100 dollars for a 1 bedroom apt.... nice apt in a nice place.

commute to work in san jose -- 12 minutes [ no traffic]
current gas prices - 3.44 a gallon .
i drive around quite a bit and refuel weekly for about 12 gallons.

student loans will draw a different picture. i would calculate wht my monthly expenses are and compare against income brought in after taxes .

good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 07:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,675,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimanita1 View Post
well i live in campbell , near san jose , comfy and nice place. rent i pay - 1100 dollars for a 1 bedroom apt.... nice apt in a nice place.

commute to work in san jose -- 12 minutes [ no traffic]
current gas prices - 3.44 a gallon .
i drive around quite a bit and refuel weekly for about 12 gallons.
Same here, though my commute is about 25 minutes.. I'm at the limit the whole way too. I pay exactly the same amount as well. It's a happy medium.. not too much, but not so little that you're surrounded by clods (though that's all just luck of the draw!).

Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM

76 posts, read 391,657 times
Its very easy to say you won't want to keep up with the Jones'. But until you live here to experience life, you will eventually succumb. The reason is simple - you want to fit in with the people around you. The more expensive the city (Palo Alto, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Woodside, etc.) the more pressure you will feel to keep up with the Jones'. Believe me, its a crappy way to live especially when you just want to enjoy life and experience everything around here. Being brought up in this area, its pretty much a given. In some ways its good because it pushes you to become your best. In other ways, its a rut.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:01 PM

28,344 posts, read 30,928,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindromed View Post
Its very easy to say you won't want to keep up with the Jones'. But until you live here to experience life, you will eventually succumb. The reason is simple - you want to fit in with the people around you. The more expensive the city (Palo Alto, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Woodside, etc.) the more pressure you will feel to keep up with the Jones'. Believe me, its a crappy way to live especially when you just want to enjoy life and experience everything around here. Being brought up in this area, its pretty much a given. In some ways its good because it pushes you to become your best. In other ways, its a rut.
I agree with everything Palindromed is saying here. I lived here for years resisting the lifestyle here so I could build a solid financial foundation. But that took me until I was 35. I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff because I skimped on my social life (which definitely requires some spending around here) in order to pay down debt and save money on my modest salary.

Your salary is higher than mine, so that will help. But the other problem can be workaholism, which is quite rampant here in Silicon Valley.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM

679 posts, read 2,665,288 times
You will be able to afford a nice apartment and a nice car and live comfortably. People are saying you will need roomates, but I don't agree. You will be able to find a decent apartment. You will never be able to afford a home on that single salary, unless you have a huge down payment. But, yes, you will live comfortably.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 26,675,434 times
Down payments really do help hugely.. even on a 6% 30-year fixed, which is top-tier, for every dollar you finance you'll actually pay $2.80 over the life of the loan. If you have to pay PMI or take an exotic mortgage because you have no money to put down, even more. The tax deductions do help, but it's still better to have maximum equity as quickly, and cheaply, as possible. They don't say it takes money to make money for nothing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or