U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 27,336,277 times
Reputation: 3600

Advertisements

Mysterious 'massive' black cat spotted again in Pleasanton hills - San Jose Mercury News

I have a first-hand experience. About 15 years ago, I went to the Anderson Park entrance on Holiday Drive in Morgan Hill. About a half-mile in, I spotted a large black animal walking through the brush. I've been something of a fanatic of big cats all my life, and I know what I saw that day. It was a panther. I never saw it again. I was reminded of this when a week ago, I heard from my parents that one of their neighbors called the police, because there was a panther taking a nap in their yard! They apparently came, confirmed the sighting, and then scared it off.

As the lady in the article says, it really is like seeing a yeti. I couldn't believe my eyes - they're not supposed to be here. But there's increasing evidence to show that they are indeed living on the fringes of society in the foothills.

Another black panther sighting - San Francisco wildlife | Examiner.com

This article notes that there were deer kills found in trees in the Las Trampas park in San Ramon. Mountain lions don't do that; that's a behavior of a true big cat like a leopard or panther.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
 
763 posts, read 2,280,701 times
Reputation: 699
Didn't the sightings just end up being a huge feral cat? Man-face?

http://fox40.com/2013/04/02/25-pound...mountain-lion/

Whoops - your's was panther, not mountain lion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 27,336,277 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Didn't the sightings just end up being a huge feral cat? Man-face?

25-Pound Feral Cat, “Man Face,” Mistaken as Mountain Lion | KTXL FOX40

Whoops - your's was panther, not mountain lion.
Mountain lions are a known quantity. Jet-black panthers from the jungles of South America, not so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
13,575 posts, read 8,689,795 times
Reputation: 8196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Mountain lions are a known quantity. Jet-black panthers from the jungles of South America, not so much.
Yes. Sometimes they get into built-up areas, which doesn't end well for the cats. A few years ago a mountain lion got into Palo Alto, near a school, and had to be shot because it was near too many people. It's probable that the cat used the drainage creeks running through PA to get from the hills into town.

More recently a few cougar kittens got into a residential backyard in Half Moon Bay and regrettably, also had to be destroyed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
 
12,823 posts, read 22,088,226 times
Reputation: 10972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Mysterious 'massive' black cat spotted again in Pleasanton hills - San Jose Mercury News

I have a first-hand experience. About 15 years ago, I went to the Anderson Park entrance on Holiday Drive in Morgan Hill. About a half-mile in, I spotted a large black animal walking through the brush. I've been something of a fanatic of big cats all my life, and I know what I saw that day. It was a panther. I never saw it again. I was reminded of this when a week ago, I heard from my parents that one of their neighbors called the police, because there was a panther taking a nap in their yard! They apparently came, confirmed the sighting, and then scared it off.

As the lady in the article says, it really is like seeing a yeti. I couldn't believe my eyes - they're not supposed to be here. But there's increasing evidence to show that they are indeed living on the fringes of society in the foothills.

Another black panther sighting - San Francisco wildlife | Examiner.com

This article notes that there were deer kills found in trees in the Las Trampas park in San Ramon. Mountain lions don't do that; that's a behavior of a true big cat like a leopard or panther.
Are you absolutely sure it was not a Black Bear? I've seen some Black Bears that were sort of skinny and were tall at the withers, not the squat and beefy looking form factor one normally thinks of. California subspecies have that tendency. The Black Bear range has essentially encroached on the Bay Area at this point, as the continent-wide range expansion proceeds apace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
7,688 posts, read 27,336,277 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Are you absolutely sure it was not a Black Bear? I've seen some Black Bears that were sort of skinny and were tall at the withers, not the squat and beefy looking form factor one normally thinks of. California subspecies have that tendency. The Black Bear range has essentially encroached on the Bay Area at this point, as the continent-wide range expansion proceeds apace.
The reason why I'm going to say is no is because I saw a long black tail. Bears have a short stubby one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
 
12,823 posts, read 22,088,226 times
Reputation: 10972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The reason why I'm going to say is no is because I saw a long black tail. Bears have a short stubby one.
That definitely would rule out a bear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 15,315,145 times
Reputation: 6352
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That definitely would rule out a bear.
Probably rules out a sasquatch-on-all-fours too. Maybe a chupacabra.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
 
126 posts, read 293,486 times
Reputation: 93
No, it was definitely a panther.

I seen "Panther" clearly tattooed on it's neck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top